Author Topic: Help  (Read 2371 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Help
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 15:04:10 PM »
Thanks, CC. I don't have a choice about getting there, really. My guy has diabetes so a blood test is necessary every few months to check his insulin levels are still right. (Unless obvious signs tell me it needs doing in between.)

I'm going to phone tomorrow and find out when the vets about next week.

I KNEW you lot would understand! :) (Not that my partner didn't, but I figured he was just being nice to me!)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 15:05:22 PM by JackSpratt »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

ccmacey

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 11:43:31 AM »
Yeah I hate going to the vets after a bad experience. A few weeks after 1 of my cats had passed I was in the vets and heard the vet nurse telling someone over the phone that her animal had died, Still being very emotional I ran out in tears. You would think they would ask the owners to come to the surgery to tell them this.

Hope you manage to get there. don't worry too much.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 09:21:41 AM »
Definitely ask to see the vet you feel most comfortable with. And try to distract yourself with other thoughts or activity whenever you find yourself worrying  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 00:04:05 AM »
That sounds like a good idea, at my vets in London I would never see the father cos like you said , I had heard that he was very hard and outdated. I always saw the son who took over and he was great. I think it is so imprtant to feel comfortable with the vet.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 22:14:35 PM »
The vet that handled the situation genuinely seemed compassionate and appeared to know what she was doing. She's foreign, so some of the things that she was trying to get across were a bit confusing. But she was honest and I'm fairly sure that another vet would have taken very similiar if not the same course of action.

I don't always see the same vet at this practice, it's whoever is "on duty." If I'm honest, the vet that actually owns it seems to have less of a clue than his employees. He told me he's been old enough and had enough money to retire for years, he just enjoys his work. Unfortunately, I think his theories are a little outdated and I'm not entirely certain it's in the best interest of the animals that he's still active as a vet in his surgery. He's very emotionally detached too, which I find hard to deal with as I'm hugely emotional about my pets;they're members of my family, after all.

I think I'll phone and find out which days he isn't in. I do have a "favourite" so maybe I'll find out when he's about.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 20:23:30 PM »
I think its very hard and the real question is:

were you happy with the way that the vet handled your cat and you and do you think they are the best ones that you can use?

In my case the answer was absolutely nooooooooooooo, so I found a new and much better vet.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 20:13:56 PM »
Not harsh at all, Christine. And even if it did, it's probably what I need! :)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 19:18:57 PM »
I know that feeling, having had investigative surgery myself last year. This just has to be done so the only thing you can do is to doggedly put one foot in front of the other and make yourself go there. Try not to let your mind dwell on the possibilities - you may well be worrying needlessly and even if you're not, bridges like this are usually best crossed if and when you come to them.

I hope that doesn't sound harsh  :hug: - you know we all understand your anxiety.

xC

I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Help
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 18:42:06 PM »
Basically, ever since one of my mob had to be PTS a few weeks back I've felt REALLY nervous about going to the vets again.

I have to take one of my others there for a blood test ASAP and I am DREADING it.

I'm pretty sure the vets did everything they could to help, but I can't help but feel terrified at the prospect of going back there.

Link to CatChat