Author Topic: My cat is stuck up a tree - HELP ... Safely Down Now!  (Read 10101 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: My cat is stuck up a tree - HELP ... Safely Down Now!
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2009, 16:52:29 PM »
So glad he's down safe and sound  :)

Offline tillywilly

• Adult Cat
  • home of Tilly & Archie
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2009, 14:43:05 PM »
Yes I agree, I checked them straight away with the rest of his body to check he was not injured
Yes I thought strange because it was so cold last night,
I will check him again when I get in later, thanks for the reminder.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2009, 14:25:27 PM »
So pleased he is safe and sound  ;D

If his ears still feel hot later then you really need to have him checked by a vet cos its a sign of a temperature, as long as he has not been lying by the radiator or a fire of course  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2009, 14:21:40 PM »
What a relief for you all.  Im so glad he is all OK - if he could only tell you how he managed to get down .....  Now you can have a good nights sleep! :)
People Power Works!!!

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2009, 14:06:32 PM »
Glad he's down safe and sound.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: My cat is stuck up a tree - HELP
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2009, 11:14:55 AM »
Glad he's OK. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2009, 10:43:39 AM »
Excellent news ... what a relief.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2009, 09:49:54 AM »
i am so glad that your little one is down safe and sound x
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2009, 09:48:34 AM »
I am so glad to hear he is home.  He must have waited until he was sure those evil dogs weren't around.  Does your neighbour know they chase your cats?  If so then your neighbour is irresponsible too. If not then it is worth having a word.  your poor little cat doesn't want to keep getting frightened.

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2009, 09:45:54 AM »
Glad to hear the little guy got down ok. I understand your worry. When I lived at my last house and Harry and Dino were kittens they used to climb a similar type pine tree at the bottom of our garden all the time. They would just get so excited and chase each other right to the very top. Dino always came back down no problem but Harry would come so far back and then just sit there crying. We spent so much time climbing that tree and trying to coax him down. Finally one evening he wouldn't come down for us and like you we had no choice but to leave him and keep checking. Thankfully it was a warm summer night and light until late. He just finally appeared through the cat flap and he learnt his lesson from that night.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2009, 09:20:39 AM »
Phew, glad to hear his back on safe ground

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2009, 09:03:43 AM »
Im so glad you have him back safe and sound ;D
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2009, 09:02:45 AM »
 :) So pleased to hear your cat is safe and sound, what a worry that must have been
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline tillywilly

• Adult Cat
  • home of Tilly & Archie
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 08:54:54 AM »
Delight
we kept on checking on him last night, and reluctantly went to bed.
At 2am my husband went to get dressed to check on him and there he was on the landing
not a mark on him, very hot ears though.
5 mins later he playing in his box as though "whats the big deal", then he chased my other cat, guess he is fine
I have now idea how he got down without hurting himself, that does not matter he is safe and sound and has gone out again, he's 13 months old gues he must have bounced

Unfortunatly this is the second time my neighbours dog has chased my cats, even thoough months apart.
I want to ask the owner not to let the dog off the lead

Thanks again to everyone
This is a great forum, you guys have helped me so much, I want to say thank you very much
What did we used to do in the olden days
TillyWilly

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 08:02:57 AM »
Bless him I hope he somehow managed to find his way safely down and home.  If not let's hope you can get someone out quickly today to rescue him.  :hug:

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2009, 23:07:33 PM »
I sincerely hope that you get him down tomorrow.

I had a similar situation for a cat who had gone missing who I was trying to find. The situation was complicated because the cat needed medication. He had been chased up a tree in a local park by a man's dog. Tahnkfully, the dog owner saw our 'Missing cat' posters and made contact.

The RSPCA despite the medication would not come out providing the sort of ill advised waffle that I have sadly come to expect. Then I encountered a problem that i had not anticipated with the Fire Brigade. Newspapers - national and local are full of articles about the brigade recuing local animals. It is great publicity for them and most fireman are brilliant and,if left to them would help.

The problem seems to lie in different breigade areas. The park in question is in Surrey. The London Brigade, which covers some local brigades in Surrey which border the park will not help unless called out by the RSPCA. This is where it goes horribly wrong - placing trust in that organisation on such matters.

By total contrast the Surrey Brigade are not confined to such a policy and will come out. Human life comes first but assuming they are not stretched, they will help as they did in this case. The little guy was rescued. Sadly, his prior medical problem got the better of him and 3 weeks later his owners had him PTS.

I would recommend that anyone in rescue contacts their local brigade to ascertain their view. One other piece of advice, don't ask the switchboard opeartors. Pop into the station. The switchboard operators are mechanical and have a set droid like script, which I found extremely unhelpful. I had to cut up rough telling them that I knew the local MP, which I do, and that I wanted to know how to spell her name so that he knew who was the problem when he approached the Chief Fire officer for an urgent explanation. I further pointed out that he is an animal lover. There was bit ofartistic free licence in some of that.  :evillaugh:It is amazing how people change their tune when they realise that there are consequences to their poor help and lack of concern. Bl***dy jobsworths.

I am sorry to hijack your thread with a separate story but it brings back memories from last year.

Good luck but do not accept negative people. Adopt a firm polite resolute determination that they WILL help you.
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 22:37:42 PM »
We had this problem several times with having the woods on the front,RSPCA wouldnt come out for 3 days and local fire service will only come if asked by RSPCA,we ended up with an extending ladder and my neighbour whose 6' 3", my cats always seemed to pick the fir trees which only have branches at the top end so a total nightmare.    I do hope you manage to get Harvey down safe and sound :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 22:05:48 PM »
No advice, just a  :hug:  Hope he's down soon

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2009, 20:44:47 PM »
Poor baby  :'(  I hope they manage to get him down tomorrow.  One of mine got on a roof a while ago and he did manage to get down himself by climbing tentatively down the ladder, fingers crossed he'll get down safe  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 20:43:43 PM »
SSPCA - Scottish equvilant wouldn't come out and tree Surgeon was in the yellow pages

He climbed the tree with his ropes etc and had a cat basket Harvey went down the oppisite side of the tree and finally gave up and stopped and was scruffed and put in basket

It was minus 5 when this started on a Thursday night at midnight we heard him yowling and Robin my OH spent all day putting up landing platforms and various things for him to get to but he stayed put so tree surgeon was our last resort as Fire brigade couldn't get near the tree with long ladders - we are very rual and the trees in the woods are very tall

Please keep us posted and good luck :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline tillywilly

• Adult Cat
  • home of Tilly & Archie
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 20:40:00 PM »
still up there

What did the tree surgeon do to get Harvey down?
Did you find him out of yellow pages, also did you try the RSPCA?

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 20:32:36 PM »
We had this nearly 18 months ago with Harvey he ended up 80 feet up a tree in our woods - we got a tree surgeon and Harvey came down with his help

It was bonfire night and the tree surgeon stayed in howling winds and lashing rain to get him down - cost me £100 but worth every penny

Fire brigade can charge for this service and tree surgeon is cheaper!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 19:21:59 PM »
Hope he finds a way down before tomorrow but if not at least you have someone coming then  :hug: :hug:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 19:17:05 PM »
Aw poor baby -
Hopefully the RSPCA will get him down tomorrow....if he hasnt got himself down by then, which is often the case

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 19:07:09 PM »
I hope hes down soon  :hug: :hug:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 18:54:06 PM »
yes it would be far too dangerous to go up at night and will also run the risk of panicking your cat so that it climbs further, or misjudges its step and falls - so a very sensible approach, despite the stress I know it must be causing you ... :hug:

Offline tillywilly

• Adult Cat
  • home of Tilly & Archie
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 18:49:33 PM »
Finaly got through to nice lady at RSPCA they will come out tomorrow when its light,
Fire dept only come out if RSPCA ask them to, I offered to pay all the tea in China

Going to put some food down, and leave him alone - we could be stressing him out by shinning a tourch in his face and shouting him.
Its so hard to leave him there

Taking all the advice on board
no one will do anything in the dark

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 18:40:28 PM »
Tree surgeons are your best bet, another option is contact your local Army Cadets, they will often help if possible as it is good publicity

and retry the local firebrigade non-emergancy number, they may have been out for some reason but be back

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 18:35:12 PM »
How about trying numbers for any local tree surgeons and see if one of them will help for a fee

Offline tillywilly

• Adult Cat
  • home of Tilly & Archie
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 18:33:11 PM »
999 said did not do it, tried our local station - wrong number, tried next station along got answer machine
Any ideas

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 18:21:32 PM »
Yes definitely call the fire department - they can only say no. And that far up a pine tree your cat is not going to get back down safely by itself. Do however, have a cat box ready for them as they will need it to collect the wee monster when they are up there - my neighbour was severely maimed by my cat when he was kind enough to climb up to rescue it for me ... :-[

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 18:19:24 PM »
I wouldn't take the RSPCA's word for it. I would phone the fire department. If they are quiet and you are lucky to speak to an animal lover, they might come out.

:censored: RSPCA  >:(
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 18:20:01 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline tillywilly

• Adult Cat
  • home of Tilly & Archie
My cat is stuck up a tree - HELP ... Safely Down Now!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 18:17:03 PM »
HI
My cat has been chased up a very tall pine tree, he is about 50 feet up, its a very narrow trunk.
We've tried but can't get any where near to him
Phoned RSPCA but they will come out after 48 hrs, fire dept do not help so they told us.

Is it a case of waiting for him to come down by him self???
What else can we do??
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 13:55:30 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »

Link to CatChat