Author Topic: Another little arrival after an RTA... meet Henry (pics) (REHOMED)  (Read 10028 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Another little arrival after an RTA... meet Henry (pics)
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2009, 19:19:41 PM »
Hes gorgeous  :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2009, 10:26:07 AM »
awwwww, he's so lovely! I bet he'll turn into a real cuddle puss in time  :Luv:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2009, 10:17:46 AM »
Glad he is coming round, it is so rewarding when that happens, isn't it?
Please spay your cat

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2009, 08:18:11 AM »
well before I post... I'll confess this is a gushing post as I am SO SO SO proud of little Henry :Luv2:

He has made huge steps in the last couple of days and we got our very first purr from Henry on Friday morning!  :Luv2:  :)

Bless him, we are beginning to think he is definately a womans cat and is a big mummy's boy but he has finally given us a wee purr and even rolled over to have his back stroked.  He let me pet from his head to the middle of his back yesterday and was so content the eyes were even closing.   He did roll as if to give a tummy to rub at one point and then re-thought the idea, bless him but I am just so so proud of the little fella that he has done so so well in the last couple of days (can you tell??  lol)

Lat night I popped in to give them some wee treats, dentabits I think it was.... put 3/4 in to Henrys pen and went to pet him but he could smell the treats on my hand, had a wee sniff and then ever so gently started to lick my fingers! :Luv2:   

So fingers crossed we are starting to turn a wee corner with the wee fella.   He is still that bit better with me than he is with Paul my OH but he is doing so so well even letting a stranger pet him under his chin too yesterday. 

Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2009, 10:46:46 AM »
What a lovely boy he is! he has such a cute nose  :Luv2:

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2009, 10:36:21 AM »
As promised guys here is some update pics of Henry showing just how handsome he truly is  :Luv2:   :Luv2:  :Luv2: 

as you can see he has cleaned himself up and is looking his best and even got off his tummy for photos!  ;D   :Luv2:

enjoy!

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2009, 14:12:50 PM »
hi Janey,

yes he is doing a little better every couple of days or so, bless him.

He has now started to really look at what is going on around him and taking an interest in what is happening.  He will also sit up and watch you which is great only slowly going down onto his tummy when you go in and start petting him.  That said he is still doing very well adn is now letting us stroke him around his shoulders and will happily turn his head away if its going to get him some ear rubbing action!  lol   :Luv2:

Everything is a very slow process with Henry but we are seeing him take tiny steps forward every couple of days, with the help of the rescue remedy of course! 

Hope to get some better piccies of him soon as his confidence has increased a little and he will now even eat out his bowl with the pen door open and you stood there.

Perhaps all sound small, strange things, but for anyone who has worked with very nervous or scared cats before, then you know how you have to take things very slowly and how each of these things is a big step in the right direction :)

awww that's great news, you sound to be doing brilliant with Henry, look forward to the pics  :)

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2009, 14:09:30 PM »
I know exactly what you mean, we have 4 ferals at kirkby rescue, mum, auntie and 2 kittens, auntie will let me stroke her, the kitts are slowly coming round ,mum is a bit more afraid and altho she will let me touch her she isnt comfortable with it yet, and this is after 8 weeks, sometimes i just put my hand in the bed and then stand talking , making no attempt to touch them, its so hard not to scoop them up and try and allay their fears but i know i have to take my time and go slow otherwise its  just going to undo all i have tried to do in the last few weeks.              im so glad that the wee man is coming on albiet slow,im sure once hes completely sure no-ones going to hurt him he will come on in leaps and bounds :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2009, 11:03:02 AM »
hi Janey,

yes he is doing a little better every couple of days or so, bless him.

He has now started to really look at what is going on around him and taking an interest in what is happening.  He will also sit up and watch you which is great only slowly going down onto his tummy when you go in and start petting him.  That said he is still doing very well adn is now letting us stroke him around his shoulders and will happily turn his head away if its going to get him some ear rubbing action!  lol   :Luv2:

Everything is a very slow process with Henry but we are seeing him take tiny steps forward every couple of days, with the help of the rescue remedy of course! 

Hope to get some better piccies of him soon as his confidence has increased a little and he will now even eat out his bowl with the pen door open and you stood there.

Perhaps all sound small, strange things, but for anyone who has worked with very nervous or scared cats before, then you know how you have to take things very slowly and how each of these things is a big step in the right direction :)

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2009, 10:55:12 AM »
Is Henry still doing well?

Offline **TINA**

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: All of my 7 furkids :o)
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2009, 18:11:06 PM »
Pleased to read that Henry is coming on  :Luv:  :Luv:
Cats ... Pod, Rolo, Flora, Peaches & Ziggy
and
English Bull Terriers...  Lola & Tom

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2009, 16:27:35 PM »
pleased Henry is making progress even if it's just a little it is still there  :)

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2009, 15:15:17 PM »
Im so glad hes coming on, :Luv:     as you say with time and patience,i know at the rescue i help at we have 2 young cats born to feral mum(who we also have and Auntie ) we call them the wobbly twins as at birth something went wrong and they have a little bit of a head wobble, altho the male is now okay its just the litle girl but i make a point of spending time with them every day and gradually she is now allowing me to stroke her without running away ,i also talk to them when im cleaning the pens out and they now recognise my voice which helps,im hoping in the next few weeks to bring the twins home for a while to get them used to a home life prior to putting them up for homing,they are 2 gorgous little cats especially the female, we will be looking for indoor homes for them because of her condition so fingers crossed. :hug:

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2009, 11:06:23 AM »
he is doing a 'little' better with the help of some rescue remedy!    he is still unsure of you petting him but so long as you stick to the areas he's used to initially he seems OK with it.

He will stand in his pen and stretch at feeding time so long as you don't go in the pen and will also eat from the bowl and allow your hand to still be on it, at times.  So in summary, he is progressing, just very very slowly. Although this is what we expected to be honest.

He still has a long way to go but with lots of time and patience he will get there. ;)

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2009, 08:08:52 AM »
Just wondered how Henry was doing now, :hug: :hug:

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2009, 09:35:59 AM »
AWWWW Bless him xxxx

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 18:27:07 PM »
Awww, hope this little man continues to do well, and hope he finds an amazing home soon too  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 18:24:45 PM »
Poor little lad  :Luv:  When I read about cats like that, I always think about how Jaffa would be in that situation.  Jaffa is a very affectionate softie but he's fairly timid and I think he would be terrified if he found himself outside and lost, and then taken to a strange place with people he has never met before.  Anyone seeing him in that environment would get totally the wrong idea about his purrsonality.  Hopefully Henry will perk up and come out of his shell in time.

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 17:12:03 PM »
When I took on Tabitha Twitchit, who had been a stray, the first time I met her was at our local vets.

She as in a cage with a dog underneath, that barked non-stop.  Id have taken her home there and then if I could!!

Sending some more  :hug: :hug: :hug: for you and Henry and Im so glad he is picking up :)
People Power Works!!!

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 16:58:56 PM »
Being in the vets as well, would not have helped. Lots of people, dogs barking, other cats giving off scents that say they are frightened. Not a nice place to be, even though they are trying to help him.

He obviously feels more relaxed with you, hence the progress.

Well done and healing vibes for the little one.
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 15:56:55 PM »
What fantastic news about  Henry,    ;D im so glad he is begining to respond to kindness and love and that his injuries are healing, im sure it wont be long  before hes headbutting everyone for a fuss :Luv: :Luv:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 12:14:18 PM »
poor baby probably was dizzy - a head injury would have reduced his confidence in his ability to move because of the loss of a sense of balance. That he is now moving his head suggests that the dizziness is passing - also his willingness to try to stand up. Glad he is making progress :Luv:

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 12:11:19 PM »
he's certainly far from feral just a little boy who's lost his way bless him.    :Luv2:

Even this morning after just a few days he is getting a little more confident and actually lifted his tummy up off the floor to eat this morning rather than just staying glued to the spot and stretching his neck out.  He is also taking a more interest in what is going on around him and moving his head at the shoulders rather than just moving the eyes which is great news too.   

Another great step for him is that he has started to groom himself again and isn't quite so dirty and grubby as he was when he first arrived bless him :Luv2:    he is really starting to show just how gorgeous he is and at least for now is slowly starting to venture out from his 'corner' of the pen to lye down where he can see more of what is going on around him.

Paul spent a good amount of time with him last night and managed to get him to relax loads with his wee head in his hands as Henry pushed against his hand Paul was gently rubbing his chin and cheek, eyes closed and loving it bless him.

He still has a very long way to go but as each day passes he learns more to trust we won't hurt him and he has all the time in the world to find his feet again and when the time comes we will find that very special home for him.  ;)

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 07:44:57 AM »
awww bless him, he doesn't sound feral to me probably a stray needing loads of tlc you sound to be doing a great job for that lovely boy  :Luv:

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 00:54:15 AM »
Awww. poor thing.

One of our cats was a pet that had been dumped and had to fend for himself for months (Vlad).  Turned up in the back garden and I gradually tamed him.

Once he got his confidence back he was the most affectionate cat you've ever seen!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 22:52:39 PM »
Aww, fingers crossed for him to come round and find a fab home.
Please spay your cat

Offline **TINA**

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: All of my 7 furkids :o)
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 21:03:18 PM »
Henry you are so handsome  :Luv2: :Luv2:
Your in safe hands now little fella xxx
Cats ... Pod, Rolo, Flora, Peaches & Ziggy
and
English Bull Terriers...  Lola & Tom

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 20:45:19 PM »
He will be with us for a nother few weeks I would think until his confidence comes up a great deal but at least he will get off his tummy slightly even if only to reach for food! :)   at the end of the day there is no rush and we will take things at Henry's pace.  When he's ready then we will put him forward for adoption and find him a very special home which this handsome little man deserves.

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 19:50:00 PM »
Cant help anthropomorphising and wondering how Id feel if I woke up after head injuries, in a strange place and didn't know what was what ....And unable to tell anyone how I felt.  Poor little thing - I do hope he is going to find a loving home.  He deserves it.  Give him a  :hug: for me  :Luv2:
People Power Works!!!

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 19:45:00 PM »
poor wee lad - hope he recovers from his injuries and his fright and realises he is in safe hands now ... :Luv2:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 19:42:30 PM »
Poor little man hope hes soon sorted and into a new home :Luv:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 18:52:56 PM »
Awww bless him, i hope you can find him a good home.  :Luv: :hug:

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
Another little arrival after an RTA... meet Henry (pics) (REHOMED)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 18:41:14 PM »
Hi Folks,

Thought you may like to meet one of our other new arrivals this week, Henry.   Henry was involved in an RTA a week ago and taken to a local vets where he was treated for his injuries.  Mainly head trauma which are now well on the way to healing.  After a local search to locate a possible owner turning up empty handed and little Henry being very scared we were asked if we would take him in and help him to find a new home, to which we agreed.

At the vets he hadn't been using his litter box and was very scared of everything and everyone. Wouldn't eat unless the surgery was empty at night and generally very low and withdrawn. So much so they almost considered him feral and released him into the local woods.

Since arriving with us Henry is doing well and has been very good at using his litter box and started to eat in front of us last night too which was great.  We are very slowly encouraging him to move a little more using food as an incentive whilst we are in the room and so far he utterly adores chin rubs and ear tickles.  :Luv2:

From experience I think this little fella has grown up as someone's pet and somehow been left to fend for himself for quite a while and lost his trust in humans.  He is certainly far from Feral, in my opinion anyways.  We hope with a few weeks of TLC and gentle persusion and time he will come round and we will be able to boost his self confidence and trust in humans with aview to placing him in a new loving home.  Albeit probably somewhere very quiet as a companion cat.

Here is apiccie of little Henry, not the best but I don't want to scare him with a camera flash so used my mobile phone instead which isn't as bright.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 11:03:38 AM by MrsR »

Link to CatChat