Author Topic: cat acne help  (Read 1860 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: cat acne help
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 20:05:23 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl:
Lots of people buy from chemists for their animals as its cheaper, they cant refuse you. The chemist i worked in had quite a few regulars saving alot of money

Offline nicchick

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 20:10:38 PM »
Brill thanks.

Funny thing happened when I tried to buy it because the lady asked what I wanted to use it for. Being hungover my brain didnt kick into gear so I just stood there and stared at her (I knew if I said it was for animal use she wouldnt sell it to me) After rather a long bit of silence she said "to clean you hands yes?!" and smiled. When she came back she said "when I worked at a vets we used it all the time" and smiled again so I whispered "yeah my cat has acne" she whispered "I didnt hear you say that" and then in a loud voice "Its brilliant for washing your hands" and winked at me.

Phew! saved by a nice pharmacist!

nikkix

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 19:16:31 PM »
Its a surgical scrub so you dont want it inside your patient  :evillaugh:

As sam says, squirt some on the cotton wool, its safe to use neat but spreads better on damp cotton wool,nice and foamy  ;D use it until the black dirt goes away then stop

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 19:08:19 PM »
I use Hibiscrub as well.  I tend to soak a piece of cotton wool in warm water then add a tiny amount onto the cotton wool ... it froths up quite well when you rub it onto the affected area.  I then use another piece of water soaked cotton wool and rinse the area.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline nicchick

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 17:49:19 PM »
I have some hibiscrub from the pharmacy.......

Before I use it do I need to dilute it at all, and do I need to rinse it off?

funny that the bottle says on it to "avoid contact with the brain" eeeeep!

ta, nic

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 19:34:59 PM »
I use cotton wool soaked in warm water with hibi scrub on it, works a treat for drying it up, and will sort any bacteria there. You can buy from chemist or online pharmacy

Offline nicchick

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 15:46:24 PM »
The following link may help:

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,21706.0.html

If it's not improving I would take him back to the vet ... my lad suffered with acne and we tried about 3 or 4 different antibiotics until we got the right one to clear it up.

It has improved a little, but like I said he is still getting new spots. Im not sure what antibiotics he was given other than it was a two week dose injection.

I will give the vet a call on monday as they are closed now.

thanks, nic

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 13:24:52 PM »
The following link may help:

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,21706.0.html

If it's not improving I would take him back to the vet ... my lad suffered with acne and we tried about 3 or 4 different antibiotics until we got the right one to clear it up.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Marcia

• Distinguished Cat
  • R.I.P Jasmine 12/12/06 - 23/12/07
    • Pheonix-Gerbils
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 12:02:36 PM »
Ours get acne on their chins. With Taco (who had it bad) i just did the soaking the chin with a warm cloth, then i gently rubbed his chin with it. I did twice a day for about a week and they disapeared  :)

His acne is back again although it doesn't bother him much.

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Loving mum to Holly, Tilly, Molly and Taco

Offline nicchick

• Adult Cat
cat acne help
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 11:52:43 AM »
My cat has got cat acne - found out about 3 weeks ago after he kept scratching his chin and making it bleed. Trouble is I cant get it to clear up so I need some more advice. The vet seemed to think that the 2 week antibiotic injection combined with cleaning it once a day with a cotton pad soaked in warm slightly salty water would work, but its not  :-:

His chin is looking MUCH better, but it hasnt improved at all in the last week and he is still getting a new spot every couple of days.

I hold the warm soaked cotton pad on his chin for a minute or so to help open the pores and then I just gently massage his chin with it and try and clean any black "dirt" off. Is there anything else I should be doing? Also when he gets a white head (sorry to much info lol!) should I squeeze the puss out or leave it (Im leaving at the mo but Im concerned he is just scratching it into the other cuts and making more spots)

Also is it food related? At the moment he eats Orijen biscuits and has half a pouch of Felix as good as it looks for tea. I use ceramic bowls and wash them daily.

thanks, nic

Link to CatChat