Author Topic: Decided to foster... Monty is arriving tomorrow! NEWS!  (Read 4445 times)

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
Re: Decided to foster... Monty is arriving tomorrow! NEWS!
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2009, 19:43:11 PM »
The oldies do tug on the heart strings dont they :Luv:,ive taken in 2 oldies, george 18 1/2yrs and Eddie who is 16+ both were supposed to be fosters and both now have a home for life,especially little Eddie who is so loving with headbutts and his little mewing sound, whereas George is a cantankerous old sod ;) but he has his moments.                                                                                                                                     Monty is a beautiful cat and im sure you will find that OH is just as smitten as you :Luv:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2009, 19:05:47 PM »
(He just needs to know that it's been his decision rather than me talking him into it! lol)

This is my approach to my dad giving in to keeping magoo, i know he has a soft spot as he saves some of his roast meat for him and feeds him it secretly (or so he thinks lol) im seeking a home for gooey but not looking too hard  :evillaugh:

It sounds as tho your OH is nearly broken, good work  ;D

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2009, 12:10:35 PM »
He he he

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2009, 11:37:58 AM »
Well, I have been spending more and more time with Monty and it's becoming dangerous because he's feeling more and more like MY cat. I don't wanna push other half and say 'lets just have him' because he really is adament that he doesn't want another cat but that Monty is an exception and that we will help him if he needs it. What that really means is that Monty has stolen his heart but he doesn't want to give in too soon.  :rofl: 
We were in with him last night when we came back from our evening out and OH started talking practically about feeding (he's on a prescription diet so will need to be fed separately) and other practical stuff 'if we take him on' so I think he's also starting to feel like Monty is gonna be a permanent resident too. (He just needs to know that it's been his decision rather than me talking him into it! lol)
As it happens, Monty really does need to be kept separate until all his treatment is complete. He may or may not be having his thyroid removed depending on his kidney funtion but we won't know that till the next batch of bloods which are next week. I really wouldn't want him to be unsettled while this is happening so there really is no rush to find out if he's staying just yet. The problem is, now we have talked about the possibility of keeping him, I am starting to like the idea more and more and really am so fond of him.
He really is a rather special cat as normally OH really isn't keen on LH and Monty is so so so LH and he has won him over!
I'm gonna take some more piccies later of Mr Handsome but it's quite hard as he is so pleased of the attention when either of us go in the room that he won't stay still!

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2009, 10:56:11 AM »
I take my hat off to you people who foster I couldn't do it, I'd end up keeping them all I just know it.

oh me too.  one day when i have my own house i will take in all and any cat that needs a home.  as it is i'm always worried that my HA will somehow find out about the 13 that i already have (only allowed a maximum of 3 cats and 1 dog).  good luck with Monty.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2009, 10:40:51 AM »
I take my hat off to you people who foster I couldn't do it, I'd end up keeping them all I just know it.

I can't see the pics but I bet Monty is gorgeous, and I bet he ends up staying with you   ;)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2009, 07:55:55 AM »
Am glad he is settling in, and I did wonder if you would be able to let him go - most people do keep their first foster (I decided to break that rule though, I had 18 before I kept one!!), but oldies with health issues always tug more and are harder to find homes for, I am in a similar boat with one of my fosters.
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2009, 06:30:11 AM »
So glad he has a home (either with you or someone you can find) is this the Lion King then?  :Luv2:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2009, 22:46:51 PM »
Bet you dont wait a few weeks either! ;)

:evillaugh:

Sounds like Monty has landed on his paws.  He's in a win win situation  ;D

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2009, 22:22:11 PM »
Now why am I not surprised............................ :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Bet you dont wait a few weeks either! ;)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2009, 22:18:01 PM »
Well yes, either way he will have a home. I am secretly hoping that he'll stay here but will also be pleased if someone else decides he will be a good addition to their family. :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2009, 21:46:57 PM »
this sounds good for monty ;D

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2009, 21:44:47 PM »
Ahhhhh go on you know you want to ;)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2009, 21:40:18 PM »
 :shify:  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2009, 21:39:28 PM »
I have been really missing looking after Layla with all her 'special needs' so having a cat in the house that needs a little extra attention has been really fulfilling for me

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2009, 21:38:21 PM »
Well Monty has been with us for a week and a half now and he is the most loving, gorgeous friendly cat going. He's had blood tests and his kidneys don't seem to be anywhere near as bad as we thought which is good but his thyroid is rather high which points to the fact that maybe previous owners weren't managing tablets too well but may not be the case. He's having blood tests in another week and a half to see how he levels are now as I have been giving him his tablets correctly so we'll see if it's settled. High thyroid levels can mask early renal failure so the bloods will also give us a good idea of how kidneys are too. Once we have these the vet will be able to assess if he's a candidate for a thyroidectomy.

Well last night OH came downstairs cursing me for 'making him reallly like that cat!' :rofl: This is the man who said he wan't going to have anything to do with my foster cat and who was going to leave me to it... then when we were in with Monty afterwards he was talking to him saying 'if you were short haired I would give you a home'.
Well this evening when he got home from work, he came in and we were chatting and he suggested if Monty doesn't have a home in the next few weeks then maybe we should give him a home... Of course, after he'd said what he said last night it got me thinking about it too so I am quite keen on the idea of making him a permanent resident!

If he was a young cat I would be absolutely fine but cause of his age, neither of us like the idea of him being in care for a long time. Of course I am going to keep searching for a home for Monty but if one doesn't come along- we will be it! What will be will be I guess... I shall let fate decide! 

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Decided to foster... Monty is arriving tomorrow!
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2009, 18:38:32 PM »
A cover for the cot would have solved the problem very easily and quickly!

He really doesnt look his age at all,especially for a hyperthyroid cat  ;D  i hope he isnt with you long :wish:

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009, 15:15:00 PM »
He arrived at mid day and has settled really well already. He is soooo friendly and although you can tell he's quite old from his bony back bone but other than that he is really rather sprightly and doesn't seem that old at all.
He is so friendly, all he really wants is a fuss and leaps on me everytime I go in the room to see him! He is full of purrs and headbutts and seems very resilient.

After speaking to the owner it turns out the main reason for rehoming is that he was too friendly! lol. Basically since the baby has been born they ahve been worried because he was trying to climb in the moses basket with the baby and they were worried he would sit on the baby. When they confined him to the kitchen because of this he then developed a urinary infection and weed in the house but only twice. He has been using the tray with no problems since he's had antibiotics so the weeing doesn't seem to be a problem now which is great news.

I also found out that he is happy to be with other cats and is great with children, although obviously babies may be a wrong move but this is all very positive for Monty's chances of rehoming.

I will post some piccies when he will sit still for me!

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 11:41:47 AM »
good luck with Monty

I hope the people looking for an older cat will love him too

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 22:32:08 PM »
Wishing you the very best of luck with Monty
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 22:23:26 PM »
Good luck with Monty - he is handsome :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline **TINA**

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: All of my 7 furkids :o)
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 20:57:42 PM »
Awww he is gorgeous  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Good luck with fostering. I have often thought of offering, but i dont think i could handle parting with them.
I am also not good at handling situations where they have been hurt etc, i sit & cry.

Cats ... Pod, Rolo, Flora, Peaches & Ziggy
and
English Bull Terriers...  Lola & Tom

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 20:41:40 PM »
Aw he is lovely.  Good luck with him x

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 20:40:37 PM »
Well I am hoping I will be able to control the emotional side of things. I think I will be ok and as homing cio-ordinator, at least I get to see which lovely homes they are going to which will help with the time they have to move on.
I'm really looking forward to the arrival of Monty of tomorrow :)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 20:22:49 PM »
He is lovely  :Luv2:

I can't foster - that is how I ended up with Alice  :shy:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 20:15:17 PM »
Oooh he's lovely - I don't think he'll be looking for long! :)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 20:12:58 PM »
Monty is coming into care because... well it's a long story! He was owned and really loved by a man for the majority of his life who sadly passed away which left his daughter to find a home for him. She took him in for a while and sadly for whatever reason it didn't work out so he went to her daughter who has asthma so that also didn't work out. They managed to find a friend who took him on and things were going great but they have recently had a baby and sadly this affected Monty quite badly and he developed a urinary infection from the stress and wee'd in the house a few times.
From the sounds of it, it has been a sad string on bad circumstances and all parties want the best for Monty and have tried but it just hasn't worked out.

I do hope we can find a nice home for him and will keep you all posted!

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 19:10:45 PM »
What a stunner :Luv: :Luv: if he were balck and white it would  be  my oldie Eddie :Luv2:, so sad that these oldies hav,nt got a forever home anymore :(,
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 18:54:18 PM »
He's gorgeous but how sad he has had to come into rescue at 16 years of age

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 18:33:58 PM »
Hes gorgegous  :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 18:05:09 PM »
He is gorgeous  :Luv:

I have actually had a few calls recently from people who specifically wanna home 'the oldest cat we have' so there is hope.

That's great  ;D  Fingers crossed that Monty will be snapped up quickly.

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 18:01:24 PM »
Monty is so handsome :Luv: certainly doesn't look 16 if these pictures are current. Hope his owner has a good reason for giving him up because I certainly couldn't.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 15:33:18 PM »
Awww love his heart - Why is he looking for a home at his age ??

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 11:27:56 AM »
That's good - we are only small, but sadly dont get a lot of calls from people wanting older cats. I would love someone to ring me up and want the oldest we have. IT is good that you have an arrangement with NCC. Fingers crossed for Monty
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 11:23:21 AM »
We are quite lucky in the fact that we are quite a small branch at present (although growing rapidly!) so we are the opposite of most branches and have more homing enquiries than welfare- at present cats are generally in and out quite quickly! But, I do agree it's more difficult to home oldies... Monty is hyperthyroid and has the start of renal failure so he may be a difficult one to home but I have actually had a few calls recently from people who specifically wanna home 'the oldest cat we have' so there is hope.

We also, being close to the NCC at Chelwood gate have an arrangement with them that if we have cats in for a long time then they will reserve pens for us in the adoption centre where the cats are homed very quickly. We try to home as many as we can but if we see it as being in the cats interest, then we will transfer them.

The NCC (National Cat Centre- CP headquarters for anyone who doesn;'t know) will take cats from lots of adoption centres and they do have a quick turnover but I think for a lot of branches that transporting the cats can be an abvious issue. I'm not sure but I think many of the larger adoption centres offer a similar thing.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 10:41:56 AM »
Ooh, he is lovely. Fingers crossed on fostering - the only flaw I can see with your plan is that oldies could be waiting months, so you might find come the summer you dont have the space cos of slow homing - unless of course your branch does better than we do with oldies.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 10:35:47 AM »
he's lovely  :Luv2:

i've thought about fostering but i know i'm not suitable.  i have big attachment issues and want every cat i see.  i take my hat off to all of you that do it successfully.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
Decided to foster... Monty is arriving tomorrow! NEWS!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 10:29:01 AM »
We cleared out all the junk from our spare room and decided it could make a good temporary home for some needy cats. The idea is that kittens would be best in the summer when we are overflowing and I m at home full time on summer hols but I am going to have oldies while I am at work in the days. Therefore, a 16 year old boy called Monty is coming to stay tomorrow and he is a beaut! I am really looking forward to it and only time will tell whether or not I am able to cope with the emotional attachment. I think I will be fine cause as homing co-ordinator, I will be seeing what lovely homes the cats I look after go to but I guess I just have to wait and see if it's for me or not.

Piccies of Monty... (As sent by current owner) I will post more once he's settled.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 21:28:26 PM by Debsymiller »

Link to CatChat