Author Topic: Please Help! Advice for my sick cat  (Read 2053 times)

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
Re: Please Help! Advice for my sick cat
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 15:57:22 PM »
I would definitely get your Vet to check for hyperthyroidism.  My Step-daughter's cat was diagnosed very early with this after a very sudden blindness.  As soon as his medication started, his eyesight has returned, if not completely, enough for him to be able to get about again, and this was only possible due to his early diagnosis.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 00:23:40 AM »
My old cat had dementia and her sight and hearing also were going. However her bad sight was being caused by high blood pressure which had made the retinas start to detach but they were flapping so she could see some of the time and then would lose all sight.

So definately get her checked out cos Kocka was given a quarter of a small tab for her blood pressure so could give it in her food cos she was unmedicateable any other way by hand.

Offline scotcat

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 00:00:55 AM »
Thank you all so much for your replies! Im feeling much more proactive and less down in the dumps now I have a little bit of knowledge to bring to the vet! I will definately ask him to take her BP and check a blood sample. Tonight she was grooming herself, sharpening her claws and even used the cat flap : all things she hasn't done in ages!

I will let you know how we get on. Thanks ever so much  :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 22:34:44 PM »
Yes I agree with MM, it would be a good idea to have blood tests done. Did the vet mentioned hyperthyroidism? because vocalising is quite common in hyperT cats. Hyperthryoidism can cause high blood pressure too, which if untreated can in some cases lead to blindness. Did the vet take her blood pressure?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 22:14:48 PM »
Has she had blood tests? If not then it would be worth while doing them

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 09:31:09 AM »
Hi there  :) I agree about the dementia, we only adopt older cats and we've seen this vocal behaviour a few times especially as their hearing and sight diminish - providing she seems otherwise healthy.  Our Smokey used to sit and stare into space too.  I also would not be worried about the steroid, our Schui has many ailments and can have a steroid injection periodically.  He has had them a few times in the 3 and half years we've had him.  For example was very poorly last summer and it took about 2 wks to really show effect but it really boosted him, he wouldn't eat and never stops munching now, he is more awake and generally seems much perkier - and he hasn't needed another, touch wood so I wouldn't necessarily be thinking the worst at all.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 09:34:21 AM by janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 09:14:33 AM »
Hi Scotcat, I agree it sounds like dementia especially at 20! Steroids are anti inflammatories but also perk them up, make them feel euphoric and mask what is really wrong with them (no harm in that if they feel better imho) and are better tolerated by cats than dogs. I wouldn't worry about her taking them and no, they don't just give them before having a cat pts so please don't think that.  I've read on the NOAH drugs website that it's possibly better to give cats their steroids at night if possible - something to do with their night time production by their adrenal glands so it's better then. If her blood pressure is high she could be crying too - did the vet take it? Old cats often have high bp.

My Swampy's been off and on Vivitonin, which is actually a drug; you give about 1/4 tablet (teeny) and it increases the supply of blood to the brain. The vet explained to me that with dementia not enough blood is going through their brains. It can perk them up too. I've used it with Swampy, with mixed results. He became less confused, but I think a little more agitated.  He is now on a trial of Selgian, an anti depressant of the anti histamine (calming) type as FABcats publish a paper on their website suggesting good results with it with dementia and dementia-type agitation. They also mention vivitonin as having had some success btw.  If I hear any more about it, I'll post. The link I put on Swampy's thread to messybeast.com explains really well about senile dementia behaviour in cats.
Try not to worry and a big hug to Holly and you  :hug:   

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 06:56:47 AM »
Hi Scotcat sorry to hear about Holly its very worrying when this happens, i have George who is almost 19 and he is in the early stages of dementia,gets confused, sits staring into space and has become very vocal as well, and his eyesight is deteriating, altho he is sleeping quite a lot  when hes not yowling bless him :Luv: altho i have found that 10mns with him does tend to calm him down then he settles for a while then starts again. i think he just needs constant reassurance :hug:                                                                                                                    Mark thanks for the link it was very interesting :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 00:47:34 AM »
It sounds like possibly dementia to me. You can get a supplement called vivitonin - there is an article here http://www.zootoo.com/petnews/studymoreagingcatssufferfromhu-822

Cats are given steroids for all kinds of things - usually as an anti-inflammatory so what you were told isn't true. Although cats are often given them at the end to buy time. I think your vet would have told you if this was the case  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline scotcat

• Kitten
Please Help! Advice for my sick cat
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 00:40:41 AM »
My cat holly is a 20 year old moggy. Over the past month or two she has become much more vocal than she ever was before. She seems now to cry all the time. Although I don't think she is in constant pain (I think her cries are of confusion) she isn't happy or content as she was. She was always very lazy and would sleep for hours on end however instead of curling up these days she just sits upright in bed looking ahead.

On Christmas day she managed to become trapped between my bed and the wall (a tiny, tiny gap - with no reason for her to try and go through) and this morning she trapped herself behind a washing machine. over the holidays she managed to walk through our top landing banister and was half way through with her front paws dangling - had she fallen she i doubt she would have landed well and would have hurt herself seriously. She has lived in the house for 20 years and we haven't changed anything around so I cant think why she would be struggling so much with getting herself into awkward places. The vet says she is partially blind in her left eye but the other eye is okay. he also said she is showing no signs of cancer. He gave her a steroid injection and steroid tablets to take this week before he sees her again on Friday.

My mum and I are really afraid and worried for her. Has anyone encountered anything similar? Is it true that a course of steroids is what vets perscribe before a cat is put down? I have had Holly ever since I can remember. If anyone come across anything similar please reply - I'm so worried.

Thanks.

Link to CatChat