Author Topic: Freaky kitty  (Read 1807 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Freaky kitty
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 12:53:17 PM »
our cats have done this before looking at nothing I've always thought some little midge or something we can't see, maybe she is looking in the hope of finding something  :Crazy:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 12:54:20 PM by janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 12:49:51 PM »
I'm going to let you in on a secret while Dot is having her morning nap and therefore not watching me like a hawk.  Once upon a time long ago a very smart cat learned that if he stared fixedly at a random spot (preferably a cellar door but modern cats have to adapt) he could quite comprehensively freak his purrson out.  After having months of fun doing this he thought that he should probably allow other cats to benefit from his discovery.  He told his feline friends, who told their feline friends and the rest is history (sort of  ;)).

C.

:rofl: :evillaugh:

Catbird

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 10:49:17 AM »
I'm going to let you in on a secret while Dot is having her morning nap and therefore not watching me like a hawk.  Once upon a time long ago a very smart cat learned that if he stared fixedly at a random spot (preferably a cellar door but modern cats have to adapt) he could quite comprehensively freak his purrson out.  After having months of fun doing this he thought that he should probably allow other cats to benefit from his discovery.  He told his feline friends, who told their feline friends and the rest is history (sort of  ;)).

C.

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 09:08:35 AM »
my two eak at the wall where there are wiggles and bumps in the paint, as cats see in a slightly different spectrum to us maybe these are more obvious to them? so they think the texture/shadows mean something is there?

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 19:42:01 PM »
she's staring kind of in the middle of the wall, definitely no cobwebs or anything there. :shify: the paint is a bit uneven (not painted by me! :evillaugh:) but not enough to warrant the odd behaviour. I was even wondering if there could be pipes behind the wall she can hear, but i think they'd be either at the top or bottom of the wall. :shify:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 19:31:51 PM »
Have you checked for dustwebs, taz always stares at these so i know when its time to get the hoover out!

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 14:19:23 PM »
Mine do it, normally they've either seen a shadow or a tiny dirty mark that they think is a spider or something!

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 14:13:57 PM »
maybe tiny baby spiders hatching.  i've noticed my cats doing this in the kitchen over the last few days and then yesterday i spotted a really tiny spiderling and once i'd seen one i saw a lot.  maybe time for me to get rid of the cobwebs  :rofl:
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 12:43:28 PM »
Odd you should mention this Beth as I have been a bit concerned about Charlie keep doing it.  Thought he was hallucinating or something.

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
Freaky kitty
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 12:26:59 PM »
I've debated about posting this :shify: but i managed to get a photo so i will.

For the past two nights around the same sort of time Ginny has suddenly stopped what she's been doing and sat on the bed staring at a particular point on the wall :shify: she will occasionally mew at it too, which is unusual as she's not a vocal cat really. She's also been stretching up as high as she can reach to touch the spot she's staring at, but there is nothing there. :shify: Is this normal mad kitty behaviour or something stranger? :-:

The pic doesn't show very clearly, she's relaxed quite a bit by this point, previously the was sitting up high, very alert.

Link to CatChat