Author Topic: Willow's MOT - it's anaemia, CRF and possibly HyperT  (Read 18958 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Willow's MOT - it's anaemia, CRF and possibly HyperT
« Reply #131 on: February 18, 2009, 09:28:56 AM »
Well she is returning to the feisty madam we all know & love. She told me off for stroking her one tine too many tonight  :evillaugh:

Go Willow  :evillaugh:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #130 on: February 18, 2009, 09:14:18 AM »
Bless her  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #129 on: February 17, 2009, 18:38:07 PM »
Well she is returning to the feisty madam we all know & love. She told me off for stroking her one tine too many tonight  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #128 on: February 16, 2009, 23:04:17 PM »
She is gorging on the Science Plan but not throwing up. One of the main reasons I stopped buying it was because Kylie is too fond of it. I am tempted to try their renal to see if Willow will eat that. Failing that, I will go back to proplan as the phos is 0.7 - I'm still tempted to try Orijen again. I wish they would make the fish one available here - it was supposed to be October but they keep delaying it.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 23:04:39 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #127 on: February 16, 2009, 17:06:35 PM »
May have been a mistake but I bought a small bag of science plan to help build her up. She won't touch the RC renal and has even gone off RC sensitive. I decided there is no point giving her what is good for her if she won't touch it. I will have to give it to her secretly as if Kylie gets a sniff, she will be after it  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 17:57:05 PM by Mark »

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #126 on: February 16, 2009, 13:35:51 PM »
Oh my she is a cutie there is something about the black cat magic - I'm biased - my first 2 cats were black and 17 years on Sweetie is still my number one in fact heard Robin say he would hold down any cat who looked at her the wrong way so she could bop it! Her coat is noce and shiney and she looks comfy must be the change in the weather Sweetie made it to the utility room today - she hasn't been out since October though she is a fairweather girl!

Mark we have a couple of real light weights in Storm and Lunarwho despite their petiteness are both crush cages at the vet due to the Bengal Tiger tendancies yet both are sweet little madams in the house

She looks like she is comfy and happy so I would be inclined to leave it a while as you said so she can build up that gorgeous figure just a little and remember good things come in small packages!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #125 on: February 16, 2009, 09:00:07 AM »
Lovely pics Mark, Willow looks pretty happy to me, one very chilled out little girl  :Luv2:

Alice is  :Luv: :Luv: as always  :)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2009, 07:32:41 AM »
That's very true Byron was about that weight and our vet always said she does keep a very good weight for her age she didn't think she was thin at all but the last time we took her she didn't say that and she has put on a bit of weight (not alot though) - I think it is the milk she has.  My vet will soon remark if they are getting a bit podgey.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #123 on: February 16, 2009, 07:19:56 AM »
 :Luv2: Thanks

You can really see what a skinny 2.5kg cat she is and why I can't mess around with her food - although Paula, one of the fosterers thinks that Willow is perfectly proportioned which I suppose means that the average cat is overweight  :shify:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2009, 07:15:14 AM »
awwww Willow and Alice  :Luv: :Luv2: lovely pics Mark 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 07:16:25 AM by janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2009, 18:53:22 PM »
Well no coughing or sneezing today. She is sprawled out in front of the fire rather than hunched  :Luv2:

I want to give her a couple of weeks to get fit before taking her for repeat bloods.

Alice was next to me when I took Willow's pics so one of her for luck  :Luv2:

« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 18:56:13 PM by Mark »

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #120 on: February 13, 2009, 11:45:54 AM »
I agree with Clare, if you are worried give the vet a ring but glad she sounds like she is improving.

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #119 on: February 13, 2009, 09:58:29 AM »
It may be worth a call to put your mind at rest Mark, but it does sound like she's doing much, much better now, which is great  :Luv2:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2009, 09:47:48 AM »
It's a week since her jab. The hacking cough has stopped which is the main thing we were concerned about - the vet was unsure if the convenia jab would work on a lower respiratory infection. However, she is still sneezing. She seems to get me every morning - she climbs onto my chest and sprays my face  :sick: . Anyway, she is eating well - 2 pouches of Natural balance since last night + a few bits of stir-fry  beef + whatever biscuits and bits she pinches from Clapton's plate so I assume it's just a matter of time?. She is still sitting on radiators but not huddling up the way she was. I am pretty confident that she is out of the woods but wonder if it is worth bothering the vet?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 10:55:59 AM by Mark »

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2009, 15:40:24 PM »
She seems a lot better in herself  :Luv2:

Attagirl, Willow  :wow:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #116 on: February 07, 2009, 15:29:00 PM »
Wow Willow that's wonderful news - hope she continues to feel better and eat.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #115 on: February 07, 2009, 08:59:48 AM »
The problem is she doesn't eat like other cats and there is no such thing as mealtimes for her. She just has some of her own when she feels like it and some of Clapton's if she is passing his dish. Another thing is, she isn't a big fan of fresh food. For a picky eater it seems odd but she likes wet food when it is drying up and Clapton's food after he has licked the jelly off  :Crazy: - Ithink the Fortekor is doinf something for her appetite though as last night, something really out of character happened. I went to feed Clapton and she niudged in to eat out of his dish - something I have never known her to do. I ended up splitting the pouch over 2 dishes and they were eating side-by-side  :Crazy:
Also, I dicided on Wednesday that she was playing and purring so much that she was unlikely to be in pain so I decided not to give her any more Metacam. She isn't coughing now but she is still sneezing. She seems a lot better in herself  :Luv2:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #114 on: February 07, 2009, 08:28:28 AM »
Mark have you tried holding her plate while she eats? It's a slippery slope as once you do it and if they like it, that's it, it's all meals from now on, but I found it worked with Swampy from about a year or more ago, when he started getting nibbly and picky about eating off a plate. It also helps if they stand or sit in a safe place while you hand hold their food.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #113 on: February 07, 2009, 07:59:32 AM »
Just wondered how things were going with Willow, have you managed to find a way to give her the metacam yet :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #112 on: February 05, 2009, 20:56:51 PM »
I had thought of that but thought it might be better to wait until she is finished as she will stop eating as soon as I do it. If she had more meat on her bones, it wouldn't be so bad but I can't risk her eating less than she already does.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #111 on: February 05, 2009, 20:43:39 PM »
Could you put it on her fur as soon as you have seen her eat a couple of mouthfuls?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #110 on: February 05, 2009, 15:17:34 PM »
The problem is she never eats what is put in front of her. She is a grazer. Sometimes she will only have 2 bites and other times will eat most of it - usually the former. She very rarely eats when it is put in front of her and might go back later but no guarantee. Although there is wet and dry down for her, sometimes she ignores the wet.

Also, with her being very picky and only weighing 2.5kg, I really can't afford for her to get suspicious with food. She always sniffs it a few times so there is no way of fooling her.

The only other thing I can do is wipe it on her fur after I see her eat. I just can't risk stressing her out so much that she is prepared to bite me hard enough for me to need medical treatment.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 19:23:29 PM by Mark »

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #109 on: February 05, 2009, 08:17:20 AM »
Fingers crossed for her, but I wouldn't put Metacam on her fur, I would mix it with her food, as they are supposed to eat before having Metacam.
Please spay your cat

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #108 on: February 05, 2009, 07:45:46 AM »
What a terrible situation to be in,its so frustrating when they wont let you help them isnt it,if only they realise you are doing it for their own good,my big lad Henry is the same  ,no way can i get pills down him, more then my lifes worth to try but im lucky in the fact he loves treats so i can conceal in a piece of chicken or ham etc, :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #107 on: February 05, 2009, 06:47:31 AM »
Ouch bless she is a feisty little madam isn't she  :naughty:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #106 on: February 04, 2009, 20:08:35 PM »
I tried giving her the metacam but she went ape. I am not risking it any more. She is now being given metacam on her fur  :evillaugh:

It is only a small amount as they checked her weight. She is still 2.5kg

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2009, 19:07:10 PM »
Don't worry, she has thanked me for my trouble  :tired:

She got into the carrier without the donut bed in it. I stupidly put my hand in to get her out and was lacerated  :Crazy:  - The vet let me wash my hands with iodine. She said it stings but is much better than the other soaps. I didn't feel it - I think I am impervious to these things now.
I have the hands of an 80 year old washerwoman  :evillaugh:

Anyway, I opened the carrier back home and she dived straight into her new igloo and is zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 19:08:26 PM by Mark »

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2009, 18:49:41 PM »
Awww, poor baby, hope Willow is feeling much better soon  :Luv:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2009, 18:46:23 PM »
Back from the vets and she has an infected trachia. They said I had a choice of a long-acting (convenia) jab to see how she goes or to keep her in for a lung pattern x-ray. The vets said the wet cough I described sounds like a lower infection. I said she is back in a couple of weeks for more bloods so might be an idea to try the jab and take her back in if need be - I asked the vet her opinion. She said she agreed and said that there is a good chance the AB will get to the infection even if it is lower. She also has Metacam for 5 days.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2009, 15:34:55 PM »
She has still been coughing on & off but had was sneezing this morning and had a nasty chesty coughing fit a while ago. She always comes to greet me but hasn't left her furry igloo since I got in 1 1/2 hours ago. She is eating but at the best of times she barely keeps the weight on. Apart from that and her runny eyes, she is usually the most energetic cat you could imagine. I was even playing with her before I left this morning and she was playing "kill the hand" - I really didn't like the sound of her chest - she sounds really bronchial. We don't smoke in the house and she rarely goes out.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #101 on: January 31, 2009, 09:10:27 AM »
I bought some free range chicken legs the other day for the cats (breast for us!) so I will cook them tonight. I'm pretty sure she will prove me wrong and not eat them as they are plain - maybe I should marinade in 5 spice before cooking  :evillaugh:

She amused us by doing an "Arthur" last night by picking bits of chicken out of the chow mein with her claw - luckily we had finished with ours  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 09:12:27 AM by Mark »

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2009, 08:33:28 AM »
good news Mark.  She clearly just needs some interesting cooking to sample it in!

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2009, 06:47:27 AM »
LOL well done what a relief.  Perhaps you have to have that dish for tea everynight for a while!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2009, 22:42:01 PM »
One of our dishes was chicken in yellowbean sauce with cashews. I sucked the sauce off a piece and gave a bit to willow and she ate it. Then I hid a pill in a piece and amazingly, she ate it!  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2009, 20:34:34 PM »
Thanks Liz  :hug:

I got some pill pockets from VetUK this week with high hopes but she won't go near them  :( - I even left her food out overnight in the bedroom hoping she would take the bait but no luck  she just isn't a treat girl  :(

I will try mixing with Katalax and smearing on her fur again but she doesn't like me doing that either.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 20:37:18 PM by Mark »

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #96 on: January 30, 2009, 20:26:59 PM »
Mark I feel for you and Dennis in this situation you have one stressed little lady who is being spiteful to get back at you, I hope that your hand isn't to bad - get the tetnus up to date for yourself to.  Have you tried the pill pockets so far I have managed to worm even the worst ferals we have - Ace and Blue especially are suspious of anything but ate these with pill in as a treat when the others were to!

Sometimes it comes down to quality of life and if she is happier unpilled and getting all her treats and the good life perhaps that is the way to go.  I know with some of our cats that that is the only route they have as it would be us on permanant tablets for scratches and worse things.

I know that whatever you and Dennis decide it will be with Willows best interests at heart :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #95 on: January 30, 2009, 19:23:39 PM »
She is already getting really suspicious. If there was a treat she would take, that would be fine but there is nothing. Even with a small piece of beef, she disects it so will find a pill. She must have been very scared to sink her teeth into me so deeply  :( - As much as OH doesn't want to talk about it, a decision will have to be made.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #94 on: January 30, 2009, 17:45:58 PM »
can you not sneak up while she is asleep, scruff her and quickly quickly shove it down before she's had time to think KILL HIM?! good luck Mark. Suppose a pill shooter wouldn't be tolerated either?

Sometimes its not in a cats best interest to be medicated, if that happened everyday she would start to resent her owners and lose any quality of life so i agree with Mark, she would be better off left untreated. A shorter life but a happier one.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #93 on: January 30, 2009, 15:20:30 PM »
She has now just peed on the log pile - I can't cope with her any more and she is so stressed, she might be better off out of it. I just can't handle her any more. I am handing her back to OH tonight and wash my hands of her - she is more trouble than the other 3 put together.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2009, 15:17:15 PM »
Star is the same Mark, if she was on tablets full time we would definately have to think long and hard about it, last time was a nightmare

Link to CatChat