Author Topic: Another Purrs 'Virgin'?!  (Read 4972 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Another Purrs 'Virgin'?!
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2009, 12:24:43 PM »
glad you have made some progress - I'm sure the trust will come, one of mine was a horrible biting machine when I got her but now loves nothing more than a cuddle - I like Percy, I like human names

Offline Mitramonday

• Adult Cat
  • Percy
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2009, 11:16:57 AM »
 :thanks: for asking Dawn!  Before I went to bed, he had moved to the cardboard box - with the result that I couldn't get to the hot water bottle to fill it .....either for him, OR for me?!!!  However, this morning ......... he has pooed :party: :Party 3: - in his litter tray too!!  He has also eaten a little (all the salmon flakes I put down, plus a couple of bits of dry food).  BIG progress!  So now it's just the trust bit that I have to work on.....he looks quite comfortable in his box, and will allow me to put my hand very close to him before he starts to move away.  A litle later today, I'll try hand feeding him again.  By the way, I now need some help with his name!  He was 'Tom-Kit' at the shelter, then became 'xyz' while I tried to think of something new, now I am stuck between 'Paris' (which has Buddhist connections, so is quite meaningful to me) or 'Percy' (as in Percy-vere).  I've still only got the one pic of him (see below) - what do people think? Vote here!!!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2009, 09:04:37 AM »
how's he doing today??

Offline Mitramonday

• Adult Cat
  • Percy
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2009, 18:07:02 PM »
oooops!  The Italics obviously didn't want to be dismissed.......perhaps they need a home too?! :rofl:

Offline Mitramonday

• Adult Cat
  • Percy
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2009, 18:05:21 PM »
 :thanks: everyone for taking the time to reply, BUT,  :help: (again!).........whereas yesterday I was simply wanting to help him feel settled, now I'm getting concerned for his welfare - the poor little mite hasn't eaten now for 32 hours (i.e. since his last feed at the shelter) - not even any of the treats I've left scattered.  NOR has he used the litter tray yet[/i]!  Overnight, he progressed from 'his' alcove to the window sill - but it seems he's been there all day?  I have been out, and left the radio on for him, plus a couple of toys (which remain in the exact same place). I have just been in and sat the other side of the room and read to him (actually, I read the printout of the links you sent me, Sam - thanx for them!) - and I put down a couple of flakes of SALMON on the window sill. Although he sniffed them, he hasn't touched them..........perhaps his appetite will take a little more time - but isn't the lack of bladder/bowel movement worrying?

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009, 07:20:43 AM »
Hi there!

your kitty has the most gorgeous face  :Luv2:, and it's lovely to hear you've adopted an ex-feral, I love ferals (we have plenty round here) I would also just let him come round in his own time.  Our Byron just settled in like she'd always lived here but Schui sat behind the sofa for a fortnight then apart from coming for the odd stroke he kept himself to himself on the sofa for about 6mths! but....he his now the most cuddly cat we've had  :Luv: but we just let him gain confidence as he was ready. 
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2009, 00:33:39 AM »
Ahhhhh he's gorgeous.  I'm sure once you go to bed he'll eat and drink and go o the loo.  Personally I would lt him have the run of the place ... it is his home now.  Of course if you are going to shut him in the kitchen every night then it won't do any harm to start as you mean to go on.

You are doing everything right so far but you might want to read the following as well:

http://www.caring-for-your-cat.co.uk/timid_cats.html

and a bit more here:

http://www.caring-for-your-cat.co.uk/bonding_with_your_cat.html

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2009, 20:37:17 PM »
you're asking the wrong person about the emoticons - I adore them but don't seem to be able to work out how to use them elsewhere - one of life's little mysteries I am afraid. As for the kitten ...  have had cats that have moved in, told the dog his place and made themselves very comfortable on my seat. I had one who spent her first three weeks lurking under and behind the furniture - I just ignored her, put her food where she could eat in hiding and popped the litter tray behind the sofa - she came out eventually and became a great smoocher - some cats take to a new life more easily than others, they are all individuals ... Try leaving the radio on turned down low tonight for a little 'human' company ... He will settle in his own good time and nothing you can to do will speed it up other than what you are already doing ....

Offline Mitramonday

• Adult Cat
  • Percy
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2009, 20:16:11 PM »
Thanks for that, blackcat  :hug:!  I don't know who's the 'new kitty' here - me or him!  All my previous cats have just waltzed in, claiming their territory from the minute they were out of the carrier!  I do know he will be all right - at the shelter, he was quite happy to bend round my legs, allow me to stroke him, purring away........so I guess it will just take longer than I perhaps bargained for!  Hope he's eaten something by the morning.....(AND 'relieved' himself!)
BTW - nothing to do with cats, but I do love all these icons (as you've probably already sussed by my previous post!) - is there anyway I can get them to use on my MSN and/or e-mails, or are they exclusive to Purrs?

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 20:00:29 PM »
well done - he is adorable BTW!! You paste the url into your message, sorry , should have said that. You seem to be doing all the right things for a wee kitty on its first scary night in its new home. Leave him in the kitchen for the time being until he gets some confidence - you may never find him again if he goes out into the huge world of your flat  :rofl: :rofl:

He will settle down, but if he was feral and this is his first real home, there will be so many new smells and sounds and textures he has never experienced before that you can't blame a wee lad for being cautious. A couple of smallish boxes to hide in, a hot water bottle in a towel somewhere hidden and he will be fine. Toilet needs sometimes don't get attended to for 24 hours in a new house - is it an open or a covered tray? If covered, you might like to remove the flap until he gets the idea of using it. Some never like the flap at all. He doesn't look quite as if he has reached nirvana yet, but give him time .... :Luv:

Offline Mitramonday

• Adult Cat
  • Percy
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2009, 19:53:29 PM »
 ;D :wow: :briggin: :rofl: :heeee heeee: :cheer: :faint: :yayyy: :yesss: :happy dance: :party:

Offline Mitramonday

• Adult Cat
  • Percy
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 19:47:05 PM »
 :-:   Okay - I've tried again (and again and again and again and again and again.....) let's see if this works. I wonder if it might be because I was trying to 'reply' but with a 'new' subject line????  Also, although I use photobucket, I keep pasting the IMG into the 'attach' bar.......maybe that's wrong too?  Doh!
Please help me welcome 'xyz'..........
 ;D
   Yeah, I know 'xyz' is no name for a furbabe, but I'm waiting for my think-tank to come up with a totally brilliant Buddhist name (as my beloved Avalo had)!  So, in the meantime.......

This little 18month old 'ex'-feral (if there is such a thing) well and truly attached himself to me at the shelter this morning (incidentally, the same shelter that Avalo came from)!  However, I don't think he had bargained for the outcome of him showing himself off......i.e. being torn from the only home he has ever known.  Bless him, he has holed himself up in a little alcove thingy in my kitchen, and has been there for the past 7 hours . :scared:  I have just spent an hour sitting on the floor, talking/reading(!)/singing(?) to him, trying to coax him out with some (smelly) moist food.  Eventually, he did venture out, to slink around on his belly - but only to try and find somewhere else to hide!  Fortunately, he is too big to get behind the fridge/w.m./cooker, but then I had to (very slowly) get up - my bum was numb - and he freaked out, jumping on & off the worktops until he just returned to 'his' alcove.  I have tried to 'barricade' the work surfaces now - I don't want him to get used to jumping up there.  I have left him a blanket on the floor and a cardboard box with holes cut in it, a dangly toy and a blanket inside. How can I reassure him and help him feel a little better?  Do I now open the kitchen door so he can investigate my flat if he wants to?  Do I shut him in there overnight?  He hasn't, so far, touched his water/dry food/moist food - OR his litter tray (he must be busting a gut by now?!).........   :shoosh:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 19:22:59 PM »
yep! that worked!! The posts do very occasionally disappear into the ether - which is better than on another forum I am on where they have an echo effect ... :rofl: :rofl: posting pix is easy if you have a photobucket or flickr account. In photobucket you just paste in the bottom of the four url options and the photo appears as if by magic ... has me foxed how it does it, but it does ....

Offline Mitramonday

• Adult Cat
  • Percy
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 19:20:19 PM »
 :Crazy: EEEK!  HELP! Please, someone, help me before this computer goes out of the window!  I'm trying to introduce you to my new furbaby but, once again (Tan), my 'post' button doesn't want to work!  It LOOKS like it's being pressed, but nothing happens.  I was trying to upload the first couple of pics of my newbie, so then I tried without them, tried copying & pasting (which worked last time) but to no avail......... I wonder if THIS message will post?!

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 19:12:30 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs. I'm glad you found us but sorry to welcome you in such circumstances.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 16:36:51 PM »
Hey Trish  :welcome: to Purrs

Sorry to hear about Avalo.  If you feel its time to welcome another kitty into your home and heart then go for it honey.

Good luck x

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 16:33:48 PM »
Hi Trish and :welcome: to Purrs,

So sorry to hear about Avalo ... RIP gorgeous.

Good luck in finding another furbabe to share your home.

Love

Sam, Foxy, Zephyr and Rossi xxx
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 13:50:09 PM »
Hi Trish  :welcome: to Purrs, im sorry you came to us in such sad circumstances, Avalo was beautiful and im sure he would approve of your giving another kitty a home  :Luv:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 12:56:41 PM »
I worked it out LOL

Purrs In Our Hearts  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 08:18:33 AM »
Good morning Trish and   :welcome:  to Purrs

So sorry that you have found us under such sad circumstances

By the way what does PIOH stand for - me curious?  hope it's not something obvious me can be a bit dim at times.

:RIP:   Avalo
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 07:47:17 AM »
 :)  Hi Trish, so sorry to hear about Avalo,

hope another kitty finds you I'm sure he or she will have a lovely home, do let us know.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 00:03:03 AM »
Hi &  :welcome: to Purrs

Sorry you've found us in such sad circumstances  :hug:

Avalo was gorgeous, I'm sure that he'd be really proud of you for opening your heart to another little friend.  There'll always be room for him too  :hug:

RIP Avalo, safe and sound at Rainbow Bridge until your Mum is ready to collect you xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 23:57:16 PM »
You will find so may others on Purrs that have been or who currently are in the same situation as yourself and therfore we all have such sympathy  :hug:

Offline Mitramonday

• Adult Cat
  • Percy
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 23:55:30 PM »
 :thanks: for that advice, Gill!  And thanks to you and Tan for your best wishes to my beloved Avalo. I do miss him so much.....

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Another PIOH 'Virgin'?!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 23:19:05 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs and very sorry to hear about handsome Avalo, RIP handsome.

I think maybe you havent been welcomed much cos of the title of the thread, and I couldnt think what ot meant,,,,,,,sigh.

How about changing it from the abreviation you have to Purrs, cos thats how we tend to abbreviate the name.

Its very easy to do, go to your first post and change title, and then do a new post with the new title on and bingo it changes.

I think you will find lots of peeps come and say Hi then  ;) ;D

I so agree with you about the empty house and I had to do the same as you  :hug:

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
Re: Another PIOH 'Virgin'?!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 22:03:38 PM »
Hi Trish

Well done hun :) for getting pics up :)

Welcome to Purrs  :welcome:

I am so sorry about Avalo hun  :'( He is gorgeous  :Luv: and i am sure is wowing the ladies on the bridge.  I know what you mean about it being empty without that very special furbabe there. He will always be with you and one day you will be together again at the bridge.  :hug:

Rest easy at the bridge darlin Avalo.  :hug:

I hope you find a furbabe soon and i am sure Avalo would def approve to give another needy cat a loving home as he had. Love to know would is the lucky chap or madam. :)

Offline Mitramonday

• Adult Cat
  • Percy
Another Purrs 'Virgin'?!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 21:36:28 PM »
Hi all!  On 2nd January, my beloved Avalo 'went to sleep'.  He had only owned me since April last year and, although he was just 3 years old, he was diagnosed with Chronic Renal Failure in August.  Despite the best possible vet care, his 'recovery' times after each admission became shorter and shorter - the last one being only 10 days.  For such a distressing event, his 'going to sleep' was beautifully done, in my arms, at home, with a couple of our friends to support.  I have just collected his ashes tonight  :'(  My flat is now soooo empty :( and, although I know that I 'should' allow myself time to grieve for Avalo, I am going out this weekend to see if another friend wants to come home with me - I need another living breathing being to share my space.  I'm sorry - I didn't mean this to be such a woe-full introduction......... Hope you like the photos of Avalo (IF I can get them up!) - and, if you'd like, I'll upload some pics of my new friend when he/she chooses me.........?
Thank you Tan for your help - I have 'copied & pasted' this and will give you a big cheer and  :hug: if this works.......... If it doesn't, then  :censored:!!!x

« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 23:51:31 PM by Mitramonday »

Link to CatChat