Author Topic: Glucosamine  (Read 1423 times)

Offline mitch

• Kitten
Re: Glucosamine
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 12:05:40 PM »
Thanks again for the help. Mine are all on dried food (JWB) but I'll have to get a bit of tinned to mix this in with.

Cheers for the link, I've used Vet UK before so I'll try some from there.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 08:25:56 AM »
i use Seraquin
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 23:14:17 PM »
I am using Noractive at the moment which is a sachet of powder you mix into their food. I am only using it as it was given to me. I also have some cosequin tablet but haven't had much luck with them. I will try to crunmble those in Alice's food.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 23:04:11 PM »
I use the cosequin for cats via Vet UK (link on here). The vet thinks it's the best stuff for arthritis. I mix it well into Max's wet food and he doesn't seem to mind. I started with 1 capsule for the first week, then 1/2 cap a day.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 20:03:02 PM »
Cosequin is very easy to give in food  ;D

Whatever you use you want the hydrochloride version not sulphate

Offline mitch

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 14:04:14 PM »
Thanks, I've heard Cosequin mentioned before. Synoquin is one I've heard of before but am not sure of the differences between the two.

Do people tend to use the animal products or just get it for humans and reduce the dosage?

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 13:48:37 PM »
My bad - the recommended daily dose of glucosamine in Cosequin is 125mg for cats.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 13:38:04 PM »
You can get various products containing glucosamine for cats from VetUK, which is very reasonably-priced, and if you click through from a rescue, that rescue benefits at no extra charge to you.  One of the participating rescues is Paws Inn at www.pawsinncats.com and there are several others - I rotate them - I'll try and find the link with them all on it.

The dosage depends on the size of the cat.  You'll generally be advised to start with a loading dose and then reduce to a maintenance dose.  I think Blip's maintenance dose is 125mg, but I'd need to check.  She's just under 5kg.  The cat products have the dosages on the side, anyway.

Blip is finicky about her food, but eats her Cosequin, which is what we use, happily in her supper.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 13:49:04 PM by Christine (Blip) »
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline mitch

• Kitten
Glucosamine
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 13:29:37 PM »
Apologies if this has been posted. I could find some information on a search but not just what I wanted.

One of my mogs has started to show various signs of old age, arthritis being one of them. I know glucosamine is well recommended to humans (my pharmacist grandfather said it was the only supplement worth taking!) and I know some people who give it to dogs.

I've found pet versions but am sure that the human stuff is much cheaper, but I can't find information on the dosage.

Just wondering what people's experience and advice is. The cat who needs it most will eat any treat so hiding it in a bit of wet food shouldn't be hard (and will help me bulk up his weight if I get some tasty food) and will stop the others from eating it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Link to CatChat