Author Topic: Premium dry and wet food reccomendations please  (Read 1901 times)

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
Re: Premium dry and wet food reccomendations please
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 09:58:07 AM »
I've settled my lot on RC Sensible 33 and have just started mixing in some of the Intense Hairball to help the long haired girls. They get on very well with it. I order The Sensible 33 in the 10kg bag from Zooplus.

My clan can't get on with a lot of wet foods like Whiskas and Felix but they can stomach and do like the Hi Life so they get it as a treat. 

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 21:35:10 PM »
Royal Canin is a good biscuit as is Hills and James Wellbeloved, also Purina

Our mob get all of the above and also we feed Applaws to the oldest Ladies as a wee treat - 14.5 and 17.5 years we also feed Felix, Whiskas and loads of others in fact we have even been known to feed tesco's own on occassion

With 43 cats we soon find out what they will or won't eat of course its even worse as somedays even the outside cats won't eat their food not that my outside ferals are fussy of course! :shocked:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 19:29:06 PM »
The good thing with premium foods is although they cost more they can eat less  ;D

Oh definitely. I had my dogs on a food which was about a 1/4 of the price of orijen and yet the orijen costs almost the same to feed then. :)

I'm gonna sit and work it all out price wise, to see how much they all cost per week, and rate their meat content, then make a decision from that. (spot the pet food geek :shify: :shy: :rofl:)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 19:17:09 PM »
Iv tried joe & jills CC, mine were not that keen which surprised me, the wet version was bad too  :evillaugh:

The good thing with premium foods is although they cost more they can eat less  ;D

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 08:15:21 AM »
The new HiLife pouches are practically identical to the Tesco stuff CC.
Please spay your cat

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 22:38:12 PM »
I feed mine Joe & Jills fry food, which nobody else seems to of heard of btw lol Its got 26% fresh chicken or salmon, and my cats love it. Although Harry my mainly dry food cat prefers Purina one, which only has 16% minium chicken, so I wont feed him this, I thinks its also expensive for what your actually getting.

My cats dont like the Hi life range, I think it has too much meat in it.

I have been buying the odd box of Tescos Luxury cat food which has 50% meat content apparently, and only £3.99 per box. They seem to like this but prefer their gormet, again me paying over the odds for crap.

I have also tried that purina balance pouches and they dont seem to like that either.
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 22:07:27 PM »
I haven't tried it yet but I'm really impressed with Arden Grange sensitive. It is totally grain free, also contains prebiotics, glucosamine, chondroitin and psyllium husk.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 20:09:46 PM »
For wet I feed hi life essentials, tesco luxury and tesco finest, tesco just nature, pets at home Purely, Applaws, almo nature, bozita, animonda, schmusy... probably a few more!  They all have a high meat percentage.

For dry, I feed Mosi Orijen but when I cant' get that or want to give him a break from that, I give him hi life dry (they sell it cheaply at wilkinsons) or james wellbeloved dry.  The PAH premium dry is pretty good too, I believe.  Applaws have just brought out a grain free dry food.

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 20:08:05 PM »
Should have mentioned, i haven't got a local PAH :doh:

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 20:07:03 PM »
Hi Life Essentials contain between 40% - 60% meat content, and little else. It can be rich on their stomachs, so maybe start with a small amount first - if you don't want to risk it all coming back up again  :sick: - like I experienced the other day.

Also - in Asda, I pay £2.88 for 12 x 85g pouches of Hi Life, which is cheaper than any Whiskas or Felix boxes (they are usually around £3.50 for 12 x 100g)

Thanks to Helen Tiggy's Mum I discovered Pets At Home premium bisquits - very similar (almost identical) ingredients as James Wellbeloved, but much much cheaper. Both my Jameson (RIP) and now Capone love it, it goes down really well - the good thing is that at PAH they will give you a sample to take home to try out before you buy, and even if you would buy a whole packet and your puss decides he/she doesn't like it you can take it back & get a full refund.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 20:05:27 PM »
I use JWB for dry, and a mix of HiLife, Bozita, Applaws, Almo Nature etc for wet - you could try PAH new brand, Purely, although mine dont like it.
Please spay your cat

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
Premium dry and wet food reccomendations please
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 19:58:04 PM »
I'm looking at changing Ginny on to a higher quality food, (the stuff she's on now is only 4% meat, what on earth is the rest of it :-:) i was leaning towards orijen as it's what i feed the mutts, but oh my goodness it's expensive :shocked: seems to be the same ingredients as the dog food, but twice the price.  :-: Soooo, looking at the others smilla seems to be reasonable quality but much a much better price, but contains anti-oxidants :innocent: or there's sanabelle which is a little more but has no artificial nasties at all.

She also really likes her wet food, so i want to keep mixing some wet in (even if i can't stand the smell :sick:) so again would be looking for premium high meat content/no nasties. any recommendations much appreciated. ;D

Link to CatChat