Author Topic: Bathing  (Read 1532 times)

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Chiana and Salem
Re: Bathing
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 00:42:57 AM »
i have had similar experience to you one of ours has had fence paint on him couple of times and another time he had something chemically on him each time i bathed him i wanted to make sure hes quite a mucky cat so we have got used to bathing him (2 person job) we try to do it as little as possible cause overall its not good for them but our salem would usually pretty much put his paws into one of our hands and one would hold his paws and one would bath him i would suggest if you have a shower head use it makes it as quick as possible
The world is a dark place because of negativity so lets brighten it up with some possitivity

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 12:45:05 PM »
I am so relieved to read all your responses. I was dreading the thought of having to bath these two. Their weight alone and strength would have been a battle enough!

Wibblechick I love that photo. I am mad about any combination of black and white cats.

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 23:36:03 PM »
I don't bath my three (all persian) unless I have to after an "accident".  Regular brushing should keep them clean.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 23:29:26 PM »
I have 4 long haired cats and usually they look after themselves but had to wash Franta around October cos he fell in some stale green water somewhere and was drowned and stinking.

He actually behaved quite well but I tried to get him dry as quick as possible.

Misa once needed his trousers cleaning from an accident he had but this was not a bath more a rub down, he is too big to hold or get in a bath!

Kocka never had a bath in 10 years and they really shouldnt need one cept in an emergency.

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 19:11:13 PM »
Mr T had a bath while moving in with us (explosive diarrohea :sick:) We both survived ....... Thank Goodness its not been necessary since. 
People Power Works!!!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 19:02:50 PM »
Cats dont need bathing unless they are mucky imo, dont see the point of upsetting them. Cats survived perfectly well and cleanly before humans were bothered

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 14:37:45 PM »
I had to bath FiFi the day after i got her as she stank of tom cat !!??  I ask someone who lives near me to help ( she fosters for CP)I held her and she shampooed her - all in all she was very good , bless her -not done it since and not needed to .
None of my others have been bathed -but same as Kirst said - i have occasionally had to wash the trousers on all of them at some point (all persians!) -they don''t like it -but we all survived with not too much of a problem .

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 12:43:48 PM »
Beavis and Gizzy are both long haired and have had to have their trousers washed on the odd occasion - they didnt like it much but we have all survived! :evillaugh:

Offline **TINA**

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: All of my 7 furkids :o)
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 11:46:35 AM »
I have never attempted to bath mine  :Crazy:

Maybe if i bathed them from being tiny they may have got used to it, but i like the skin to stay on my arms !!

Fan & Rosie my bridge babes were long haired & washed her bum a few times, and clawed me to bits.
Cats ... Pod, Rolo, Flora, Peaches & Ziggy
and
English Bull Terriers...  Lola & Tom

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 11:39:47 AM »
I've never bathed Star (dlh) and probably wouldn't ever attempt it!

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
Bathing
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 11:21:37 AM »
I have bathed my cats when they got very dirty or something on their coats that concerned me (Bronte once came in with creosote on her, we can only assume someone was painting a fence that she rubbed herself along and I was terrified it would burn her skin). Anyway, the fourfurballs are all short hairs and never saw a need to bath them regularly.

Now that Lexie and Purdey have joined the clan and they do get to go outdoors throughout the day I was wondering if there is a need to regularly bath long hair cats?

If so any tips would be welcome as given the state the were in when Cats Protection got them I seriously doubt they have any idea what a bath is. They are just about getting used to brushing so dread to think what response a bath will get.

Link to CatChat