Author Topic: Insuring a cat with an overactive thyroid?  (Read 2755 times)

Offline sillyrabbit

• Adult Cat
Re: Insuring a cat with an overactive thyroid?
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 19:16:32 PM »
I meant im not in the UK, im in the channel islands  :)

Thanks for the advice guys, I am at the vets this weekend so will ask him what he thinks and phone some insurance companies. If its likely that an insurance company will try to link everything possible back to this if then I think I will just leave it and carry on with what I am doing because its looking like some of the most common problems as cats get older can be related to thyroid problems somehow. Will definitely see what my vet thinks though x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 16:08:40 PM »
Im not in England so some of these companies don't cover me anyways  :) Will have to speak to my vets to see which ones will apply here, I know petplan do but not sure who else does x

Where are you?

I not in England either but am in UK........oh yes Wales is in the UK  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 09:31:16 AM »
I insure Max with Axa, and didn't start his policy until he was about 7-8, so it is possible to insure cats when they are a bit older.

Max also has FIV so had to log that as an existing condition, and figured they would try and exlude pretty much everything if they could try and relate it, but in the last year I've had payouts for kidney, thyroid and urinary tract infection, so they've been very good.

I think with any policy they would take the hyperthyroid as an existing condition so anything related to that would be excluded, exactly what else they would exclude would depend on what was wrong, and how good your vet is in convincing them that the items are not actually related  ;)

I know that thyroid can also affect other organs, but if ongoing treatment for this can be proven, then hopefully this would bode much better than issues which have arisen through non-treatment, if that makes sense?

Defo get a quote, you might be surprised, and the insurance really has been a lifeline for me this year  :)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline sillyrabbit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 22:15:21 PM »
Im not in England so some of these companies don't cover me anyways  :) Will have to speak to my vets to see which ones will apply here, I know petplan do but not sure who else does x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 22:14:16 PM »
So pleased that Mabel got the care and everything she deserved  :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 22:12:19 PM »
I wouldnt recommend Sainsbury's anymore due to their excess - £125 for cats over the age of 9, AXA is a straight £50 regardless of age.
Gill - consults for ongoing conditions are always covered under insurance, they dont have to be considered as treatment. AXA paid around £150 for Mabel despite only owning her for 5 weeks, the only thing they took off was the £50 excess, all consults, food etc was covered. i even managed to get some STronghold covered under one of PEbbles' claims, one of the two vials wasn't for her and she never got the other one, as she was too poorly!! I miss that person she just put everything through to see what they would pay for.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 22:06:46 PM »
Yes they ceratinly used to but axa have better cover

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 22:01:49 PM »
Sainsburys also insure older cats so i have been told

Offline sillyrabbit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 21:45:26 PM »
Thanks guys  :)

Im going to have to look and see exactly what can be linked to the thyroid, im guessing it probably will be quite a lot of things

It was never untreated and she was taken straight to the vet and put on medication the minute I realized something was up but im not sure that would make much difference x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 21:38:41 PM »
axa will insure older cats. my birmans were 14 before they were insured.

What would happen is they would exclude anything involved with the thyroid condition, nothing to stop you getting a quote  and then think about it.

Franta has just clocked up over £700 of treatment in last 6 weeks and if I decided to go down an operation route with him I gess we would be clocking up thousands but vey advises against it. How ever his problems are kidneys and she says his consultations are ongoing treatment from now on.

So I would definately think about it cos things can hit you right out of the blue.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 21:37:06 PM »
I'm not sure how much they could blame on it, but an untreated thyroid can affect the heart and kidneys, so they may exclude quite a lot. I think with her it might be worth not paying premiums, but she isn't too old to insure, AXA took on an 18yo, 15yo and 12yo for me last year.
Please spay your cat

Offline sillyrabbit

• Adult Cat
Insuring a cat with an overactive thyroid?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 21:32:06 PM »
Beanies post on my other thread has got me thinking and talking to other people with cats! They all have their cats insured and it seems that the problems involved with insuring smaller animals aren't happening when its a cat  :)

Ive already had a lecture on my sister to just insure my cat and just keep up with the savings account for my rabbits and rats. Im not sure it would be worth it now though? Smirnoff is eight years old now. I just assumed she was too old to insure now, but someone I know has told me they insured their 9 year old lad with pet plan last month. The thing is Smirnoff is on medication for an overactive thyroid at the moment, she is back at the end of the month now to be tested again and hopefully will be ok to be operated on. Assuming all went well and she recovered would this limit what she would be covered for by not too much or pretty much everything? I don't really know how many illnesses would be linked back to the overactive thyroid should she ever be ill in the future

The only other thing she has ever had is a dental last year so am I right in thinking she wouldn't be covered for very much at all?

Its not a huge deal if she isn't because I will just carry on with what I am doing now, just thought it was something worth asking  :) x

Link to CatChat