Author Topic: Food Quality  (Read 4711 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Food Quality
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2009, 18:45:37 PM »
I think I noticed someone mentioned RC wet food - where did you get it? I've never seen it locally.

Have so far only seen it on pah website, not looked instore but assume they will be stocking it.

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2009, 10:31:55 AM »
My clan all get RC dry food only (sensible 33 and have just ordered some of the hairball stuff to mix in with it as the 2 new girls get terrible hairballs with having such long coats). 5 out of 6 of my cats have sensitive tums and if they as much as sniff wet foods like Felix or Whiskas they get awful diarrhoea. Before I had the sensitive tum cats I did feed a mixture of wet and dry food and used to find Felix went down (and stayed down) better then Whiskas.

I give sachets of Hi-Life as a treat from time to time now.

I think I noticed someone mentioned RC wet food - where did you get it? I've never seen it locally.

I realise there are the kidney issues with dry foods so I always have lots of bowls of water out for my cats. They do all drink well so hoping that counteracts it. Their coats are just stunningly healthy since they moved to dry food, they all took to it with gusto and no regular upset tums. They also get regular thumbs up from the vet.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2009, 08:54:24 AM »
Our lot eat between 9 and 11 cans per day between them with dry food always around - we have sachets on a Saturday for a treat

We feed Whiskas, feliz, Catessy and will try most other sorts but when the outside cats won't eat it we stop buying it!  Not that any of ours or the outside are fussy though! :shocked:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2009, 07:51:26 AM »
Good to know the cans are not less quality though! I always assumed they were too!

The chunks are bigger and I think it puts some cats off. I remember there was a heqalth scare last year, something to do with the sealant they use on ring-pull cans. I didn't hear any more though.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2009, 23:29:30 PM »
True, although tbh I think they would eat anything I gave them, they aren't even slightly fussy!

I wish mine weren't fussy - they change their minds like the weather!!

They loved Felix, then seem to go off it, same with Whiskas, then they loved the stuff out of Lidl (seriously I was trying anything!) but went off it, now they even turn their noses up at Applaws!!

At the moment they ar eon Whiskas as the big 24 pouch box was only £5 and its the steamed selection which they loved before - but hmmm not so much now!!! They always have dry down - usually Hills or Purina or PAH so they dont starve but wow I wish I could mind read what they want!!

Good to know the cans are not less quality though! I always assumed they were too!
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2009, 23:21:59 PM »
I thought I was sure - as whenever I check the ingredients list I can't see any sugars being listed in Whiskas. Will check again now.

Update: Whiskas Oh So contains:  Meat and animal derivates min 14% and Minerals. So maybe 'minerals' contain the sugar? Bit confusing!

No, the minerals don't contain sugar.

Good old Whiskas Supermeat (in the 390g tin) doesnt contain 'sugars' its ingredients are simply meat and animal derivatives and minerals (it also doesnt now contain artificial flavours or preservatives) (fairly low on the quality meat content though)

Most gravy/jelly cat foods contain cereals of some sort and/or sugars

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2009, 22:40:07 PM »
True, although tbh I think they would eat anything I gave them, they aren't even slightly fussy!

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2009, 19:06:02 PM »
Bryony you are lucky they are eating the tins after being on pouches, most wouldnt! Meat wise theres no different between felix tins and pouches. Taste wise most prefer pouches

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2009, 18:28:53 PM »
I'm sure they do these things to confuse us Susanne,I thaught Rameses didnt like whiskas tuna pouches so I have been giving him the others in the box of the fishermans variety,this morning I noticed I only had 3 tuna left so I thaught oh well here goes nothing as I put it down (as I didnt really want to open another box this morning as I was about to go in the shower) and he wolfed it down and came back asking for more,I tell ya Rameses will eat tuna in the fishermans variety but not the one in the usual jelly box,thats the same thing surely :shify: :shify:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2009, 18:22:19 PM »
Surely looking at other peoples dogs and comparing meat content in cat food is way more fun?!  :evillaugh:

Absolutely!

Whiskas doesn't agree with Jaffa or Mosi.  Mosi has only had some whiskas kitten pouches when he was little, but they made him fart a lot and produce smelly poos  :sick:  Whiskas tends to make Jaffa have loose stools so I stick to felix for him although he does have the odd pouch of whiskas oh so meaty.

I'm sure Jaffa's getting more fussy though.  I have no zooplus stuff in at the moment and with NM being a disaster zone, the options are getting a bit limited.  He turned his nose up at PAH Purely the other day and the same with tesco luxury (they are the same texture and look pretty much the same).  He ate them eventually when he realised nothing further was going to be forthcoming, but I didn't have good feeling when I offered him the tesco stuff in the foil tray - the expensive stuff that comes in turkey and rice and lamb and rice.  He's a bit funny about the lamb one but likes the turkey.  I gave him a lamb one expecting him to need a lot of encouragement to eat it, but he went and scoffed the lot like it was the nicest thing ever  :innocent:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2009, 18:09:19 PM »
[quote author=tigerbaby link=topic=21318.msg368697#msg368697 date=1231178825

Surely looking at other peoples dogs and comparing meat content in cat food is way more fun?!  :evillaugh:

[/quote]

Any day - B&Q is boring and I only go there if I need some paint. Certainly not for pleasure  :Crazy:

PS - when you are in there, you will suddenly want to get back to your new boy  :Luv2:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 18:20:11 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 18:07:05 PM »
I love it but OH hates it - so much so that yesterday, I had to drop him off at B&Q whilst I was in PAH - really annoying as I felt I had to bed in & out. I really like to have a good look round  :evillaugh:
:rofl: :rofl:
That sounds just like us!! I always have to compromise, so that he can go to B&Q's - and when he finally gets there I moan at him for taking to long looking at boring screws and tools he doesnt need!

« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 18:07:40 PM by tigerbaby »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2009, 18:05:35 PM »
I love it but OH hates it - so much so that yesterday, I had to drop him off at B&Q whilst I was in PAH - really annoying as I felt I had to be in & out. I really like to have a good look round  :evillaugh: (even at dog stuff and I don't even have one  :Crazy: )
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 18:07:54 PM by Mark »

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 18:02:54 PM »
Great - will try to convince R to drive me there. He always moans cos I spend so long in there every time - I also go dog-spotting while I'm there and interview people about their dogs. Robin finds it funny but annoying.

Actually - we need to go anyway to get some more litter  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 18:00:00 PM »
Don't forget it is 3 boxes for £7 in PAH right now. Also 2 boxes for £5 in the co-op (I just went)

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 17:57:13 PM »
I will buy some Felix in jelly next and see what he prefers.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 17:48:52 PM »
I know gravy ones are higher in carbs and so more fattening - hence a treat in this house. The Felix gravy flavours sound appetising and smell nicer than Whiskas I think.

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 17:25:06 PM »
Beware of the "in gravy" varieties though as they have been known to make Ging have very sloppy poos,they only have gravy versions now as a one off treat but generally stick to in jelly :)
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 17:22:34 PM »
I just stick to the standard "In Jelly" or "In Gravy" (although senior for the jelly one) - I noticed that Felix contains fish but whiskas doesn't (unless they are fish flavoured  :evillaugh: )

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 17:13:46 PM »
Are you sure? - AFAIK, whiskas also has colourings & various sugars (the sugars are needed to make it a complete food) - I don't think there is any difference in quality - in fact I would say Felix has a slight edge.
I thought I was sure - as whenever I check the ingredients list I can't see any sugars being listed in Whiskas. Will check again now.

Update: Whiskas Oh So contains:  Meat and animal derivates min 14% and Minerals. So maybe 'minerals' contain the sugar? Bit confusing!

All cats seem to love Felix incl Jameson. Buster is used to Felix too (aswell as Whiskas) I noticed 'Buster's poo was a bit soft & runny so maybe I should try Felix and see if that makes a difference. Which Felix variety is the 'best' one?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 17:18:41 PM by tigerbaby »

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 16:56:03 PM »
Must say I have noticed a slight harder stool with felix also plus they do prefer if given the choice to whiskas but just by a whiskar though :evillaugh:  get it? :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Bryony your OH sounds a dream in the kitchen,if you get fed up you could always send him my way :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Lol, don't get me wrong, I'm loving the fact he's suddenly come over all Jamie Oliver, but he spent over £20 on ingredients for one meal (bearing in mind monthly food/household goods budget of £250-£300) and I came into the kitchen to find him chopping raw bacon on our big bread board, he would have cut the raw chicken and fish on it as well if I hadn't taken it off him and given him one of the 3 chopping boards to use!!

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 16:49:54 PM »
Mine have RC kitten food down all the time and generally half a pouch of whiskers/felix in the evenings.  While I was in London mum bought them Royal Canin wet food and Mia went nuts for it, shame its so expensive lol.  Nova doesn't actually like wet food but he does drink lots of water so i'm still happy

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 16:45:08 PM »
Must say I have noticed a slight harder stool with felix also plus they do prefer if given the choice to whiskas but just by a whiskar though :evillaugh:  get it? :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Bryony your OH sounds a dream in the kitchen,if you get fed up you could always send him my way :evillaugh: :evillaugh:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 16:35:40 PM »
my guys get Tescos Supreme pouches

I forgot about that one. For the longest time, its all Clapton would eat. I just buy a tray of singles (24 pouches?)  of the Tuna in Jelly now as a change for him.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 16:32:37 PM »
Mine get mostly felix senior (8 flavours) + sometimes Whiskas senior - also felix in gravy as a treat - they all love it. But I make sure they have a good quality dry food (Whiskas, go-cat etc is banned)

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 16:27:55 PM »
if my guys get Whiskas they are hyper and have bad poo... Felix they are fine  :-:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 16:26:34 PM »
Are you sure? - AFAIK, whiskas also has colourings & various sugars (the sugars are needed to make it a complete food) - I don't think there is any difference in quality - in fact I would say Felix has a slight edge.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 16:15:58 PM »
Felix contains various sugars and colorings whereas Whiskas doesn't. Apart from that it's pretty much the same thing I reckon.

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 16:08:10 PM »
my guys get Tescos Supreme pouches and RC dry and according to the vet they are the healthiest cats she's seen in a while coat and weight wise... mind you has got bad enough round here there is now a free Fat Cat clinic  :shocked:

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 15:22:47 PM »
Thats good, i was a bit concerned that half the price was going to be half the quality and I didn't have any pouches left to look on the back of.

I was a bit annoyed at OH for getting the 'cheap stuff' as he had just spent nearly half what I would usually budget for a week of food on the ingredients for one meal (he has recently got into cooking but has no understanding of cooking on a budget!) The Paella he made was lovely but I'm sure he could have left something out, there was choriza, bacon, chicken, cod, squid, mussels and king prawns in it!!!!! The cats did get a bit of the cod though!

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 15:16:24 PM »
I believe its the same stuff as the canned stuff,its the same 4% meat quantity etc the only pouches that differ in this is the whiskas "oh so" range which is 14% meat if I can remember.  Mine have a mixture of bothe canned food and pouches,they love them just the same,only flavour I have found that doesnt go down well cannedwise is whiskas beef :shify:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
Food Quality
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 15:07:33 PM »
When the girls first came home, they were fed on royal canin dry food then moved slowly onto a variety of wet foods and settled on mostly natures menu and similar. Recently since I've started my new job and find that I can't get to PAH as often and generally buy wet food from the supermarket as they get through it pretty quickly.

They have been on Whiskas pouches (2 for £5 for ages) twice a day and good quality JWB or similar dry food down all day. I sent OH to do the food shopping last week and he came home with felix cans saying that for the same price, there was twice as much food in the cans and it was probably the same as the stuff in the pouches. They seem quite happy to eat the canned stuff and there have been no unpleasantries in the litter tray so far, but I am not sure whether it is lower quality than the pouched kind.

Link to CatChat