Author Topic: CAPONE (Buster) has arrived (4 Jan 09)  (Read 43769 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Buster has arrived (4 Jan 09)
« Reply #200 on: January 07, 2009, 11:23:00 AM »
I like Chai. :)

I sometimes name the cats on Blackpool C in C site, and named a tiny black kitten Chi. For some reason it sprang to mind when I looked at him!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #199 on: January 07, 2009, 11:12:11 AM »
Thanks all  :thanks:

He is back to his normal self now - purring and headbutting us. You are all right - it's a new sound to him, and will take a bit of time getting used to it.

OK - name wise, to give you a 'flavour' of the names we've come up with so far. His surname is most likely to be COYOTE. (his description - just like Jameson was Whitesox)

ROMEO
NAPOLEON
COURTNEY
ESKIMO
CAVALERA
NELSON
CHAI

I am currently looking up cartoon character names/ mythical / greek god names.... will update later.... we need a name for him!!!

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #198 on: January 07, 2009, 11:10:10 AM »
I wonder if the sound is anything like the vets clippers?  Chloe isnt very keen on electric razor noise ....  Or Kieron (my other half)'s hair clipper thingies .... Mr T is so nosy he doesnt seem to care!  He hates the Dyson, though.  I believe he thinks its going to eat his food.  If I take it toward the kitchen he gets upset ...
Hope Buster ............................  Insert name here  :naughty: is soon settled again - my guess is he will be! :)
People Power Works!!!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #197 on: January 07, 2009, 11:01:42 AM »
Yep, Buster probably heard that sound somewhere like the vets and that made him nervous. (Some sounds seem quite similiar to us, but to a cat I think the pitch must be massively different.)

You're right, Helena. Patience is key in having a new cat come to live with you. We all have quirks - including cats - and learning them is all part of the process. As Buster grows in trust, he's likely to become more laid back about things. (Having said that, Asteroid still runs for cover at the sight of the hoover.)

One of these to Robin:  :hug: for being so good about having to put away his massage pillow. Maybe Sues idea about using it in a different room for now is a good one?

:hug: to both of you and Buster "Bugaboo" Bugsy Malone.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #196 on: January 07, 2009, 09:36:50 AM »
Maybe its the vibrating sound he doesn't like, both of mine are terrified of our electric toothbrushes and they aren't loud at all!

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #195 on: January 07, 2009, 07:51:00 AM »
A little update - and a question of concern:

'Buster' is doing well, he is very affectionate and follows us around everywhere. He purrs and seems happy. HOWEVER, tonight Robin turned his massage pillow thing on, and it made a slight low volume buzzing sound. It freaked 'Buster' out big time. He couldn't work out what it was, so R turned it off and put it away. Since then he's been really jumpy and on edge. He even hissed at a toy he usually loves playing with. He won't let us touch him, ducks down and moves away. It is really upsetting. R put a movie on, and they are on the sofa now, but 'Buster' is still being weird.
Maybe it's a sound he recognises from the vets? Thing is, it was not even loud, like a hair dryer - and we've had both the dishwasher and washing machine on while he's been here. I really hope he is not becoming freaked out.
I know he's had a crazy few weeks, and although he seems settled here I guess he still associates certain things with things that has happened to him. I just hope he hasn't changed and that he will relax.
I will go and check on him now

I bet he's heard that sound somewhere before and had a bad experience, I would think in time though with lots of love he will settle down well, it's a big thing he's been through alot and after the excitement the other day it's probably alot to take in.  I'm sure he'll be fine once he gets his own little routine and he feels safe.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #194 on: January 07, 2009, 07:01:37 AM »
I think Helen's right, Helena.  Everything is still a bit strange to him, and he's been through so much in a short space of time, that anything which is odd to him might seem a bit freaky too.  Paddy used to hate the hoover and would sneak off smartly at the very sight of it, but since he went deaf, he doesn't care and will sit and watch it whisk past his bed without so much as a twitch.  I reckon he just needs time and stability, lots of patience and care, and I reckon he's right where he'll get it.  :hug:   (Could Robin use his massager in another room perhaps for now, bless him?)

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #193 on: January 07, 2009, 00:25:28 AM »
Strange you should say about the massage pillow though, I bought a massage cushion thing for the chair yesterday (incidentally it's the best invention EVER!) and Lu was really freaked out by it today. Like you say it's just a quiet buzzing noise but he'll happily lay on the bed next to me while I'm drying my hair or eat his tea in the kitchen while the washing machine is on but he did NOT like the noise the massager was making.  I ended up turning it off for him, I'm such a pushover  :evillaugh:

Did you buy it from Lidl? R got it from there, today and wanted to use it. He got a bit annoyed about it all, but knew he had to put it away. 'Buster' seems ok now, but still a bit weird - hunching down and sniffing every corner - and is acting weird towards the sofa. Also bit jumpy.

But after all it's only the 3rd day, so I shouldn't expect miracles. I guess I just get a bit worried because I don't want a freaked out indoor cat - not sure how we can avoid certain sounds in this apartment?!

Patience. He is such a social, curious and brave boy it doesn't seem his character to get scared so easily.

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #192 on: January 07, 2009, 00:13:42 AM »
Aww he is lovely and settled right in  :)
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #191 on: January 07, 2009, 00:03:32 AM »
its a bit like dysons, i dont even have to switch it on, just roll it into room where misa is and he runs for his life.

i am sure by tomorrow buster will have forgiven you  :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #190 on: January 06, 2009, 23:52:48 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much, he's only been with you a very short while so it'll take his time to build up complete trust  :hug: I know when the boys first arrived silly little things would scare them as they didn't know that I would never let anything harm them. 

Strange you should say about the massage pillow though, I bought a massage cushion thing for the chair yesterday (incidentally it's the best invention EVER!) and Lu was really freaked out by it today. Like you say it's just a quiet buzzing noise but he'll happily lay on the bed next to me while I'm drying my hair or eat his tea in the kitchen while the washing machine is on but he did NOT like the noise the massager was making.  I ended up turning it off for him, I'm such a pushover  :evillaugh:

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #189 on: January 06, 2009, 23:20:04 PM »
A little update - and a question of concern:

'Buster' is doing well, he is very affectionate and follows us around everywhere. He purrs and seems happy. HOWEVER, tonight Robin turned his massage pillow thing on, and it made a slight low volume buzzing sound. It freaked 'Buster' out big time. He couldn't work out what it was, so R turned it off and put it away. Since then he's been really jumpy and on edge. He even hissed at a toy he usually loves playing with. He won't let us touch him, ducks down and moves away. It is really upsetting. R put a movie on, and they are on the sofa now, but 'Buster' is still being weird.
Maybe it's a sound he recognises from the vets? Thing is, it was not even loud, like a hair dryer - and we've had both the dishwasher and washing machine on while he's been here. I really hope he is not becoming freaked out.
I know he's had a crazy few weeks, and although he seems settled here I guess he still associates certain things with things that has happened to him. I just hope he hasn't changed and that he will relax.
I will go and check on him now.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #188 on: January 06, 2009, 18:26:04 PM »
How is 'Buster' Bugaboo Bugsy Malone today ???
and erm by the way you know thats now his name don't you  :evillaugh:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #187 on: January 06, 2009, 14:58:26 PM »
it was the first thing that came to my mind - surely fifi should be in a cardboard box!!  apparently she isn't old enough, she has to be five

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #186 on: January 06, 2009, 14:26:51 PM »
I do indeed - we used to have two tortoises when I was a kid, and Blue Peter was always our guide as to when it was time for them to hibernate.  Springtime was always filled with trepidation in case there was only a husk left in the box.   :-:

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #185 on: January 06, 2009, 14:22:16 PM »
I'm sure when I was a kid people just left them in the garden all summer!  still cat care has changed at lot since the 70's as well

Someone other than me must remember the annual putting-away-in-a-box-of-hay of the Blue Peter tortoise ...... :briggin:
People Power Works!!!

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #184 on: January 06, 2009, 14:09:28 PM »
Been away over Christmas and so only just caught up with this.

Mr Buster Bugaboo Bugsy Malone is beautiful and he is a very lucky boy to have found you both  :Luv:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #183 on: January 06, 2009, 13:58:27 PM »
Any more Buster Bugaboo Bugsy Malone pics.....?  ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #182 on: January 06, 2009, 13:54:18 PM »
I'm sure when I was a kid people just left them in the garden all summer!  still cat care has changed at lot since the 70's as well

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #181 on: January 06, 2009, 13:53:04 PM »
Yes - that's right, and it needs a timer light too. They require lots of care actually - luckily a friend of theirs bought the brother tortoise (Tony) so they will look after each others new pets if someone needs to go away.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #180 on: January 06, 2009, 13:48:26 PM »
this one is about as big as the palm of a hand, it is two its a herman (or hermit) can't remember which - very cute but I didn't realise how complicated they were to own, its got a little house and heat lamps and stuff

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #179 on: January 06, 2009, 13:40:11 PM »
Yeah, if you look after them right they will live to around a 100 years!!!! So they are most likely to out-live you. We are going there tonight for dinner, apparently he is now the size of a deck of cards but will grow really big. His brother always wanted a tortoise - he reckons that is as close to having a dinasaur as you can get!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #178 on: January 06, 2009, 13:34:19 PM »
my friend got a tortoise for Christmas (Fifi) the scary thing was when she said it will live longer than her!

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #177 on: January 06, 2009, 13:33:09 PM »
When we were children, my brothers friend had two tortoises.  Speedy Gonzales and Killer ..... :shocked: :rofl:
People Power Works!!!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #176 on: January 06, 2009, 13:29:04 PM »
 :evillaugh: :evillaugh:  now that's a tortoise with class!  ;)

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #175 on: January 06, 2009, 13:27:28 PM »
It's Robins brothers birthday today, and his girlfriend gave him a tortoise.... guess what he named him.... most amazing name ever....

ALFREDO FINKELTREE!
 :rofl: :rofl: :Luv2: :Luv2:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #174 on: January 06, 2009, 07:44:25 AM »

'Buster' Bugaboo Bugsy Malone

Awww now i like that  ;)

Oh me too - I don't think you should change that - it's purrrfect for him!  :yesss:

(Oh God yes, I loved Fraser too..... watched all the re-runs recently on freeview   :Luv2:)

Offline hannah (weeny)

• Honorary Cat
  • JASPER!!
« Reply #173 on: January 06, 2009, 01:08:15 AM »
due south!!!

god i was so in love with fraser.....  :Luv:

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #172 on: January 06, 2009, 00:26:02 AM »
how about Diefenbaker?

points to anyone who recognises it  :rofl:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #171 on: January 05, 2009, 23:32:45 PM »
I like BRANSON from Indy's Mamma's list  ;)

What about Wolfie (anyone remember Citizen Smith? - oh ok, no? it was a long time ago LOL!)

Glad to hear he's settling in so well  :hug:

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #170 on: January 05, 2009, 22:01:39 PM »
Our vote is for Nannook and he was from the North after all  ;)  ;D

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #169 on: January 05, 2009, 21:55:39 PM »
This site might be useful TB:  http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/names/colournames.htm  (also click on the other options at the bottom of the page under the alphabet for more pages  ;) )
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #168 on: January 05, 2009, 21:52:34 PM »
Hehe, an ex boyfriend of mine (now one of my best friends) used to have a rat named Luci Fur - she was a lovely little black girl.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #167 on: January 05, 2009, 21:47:49 PM »
I love the name Dakota too - problem is, my friends dog is called that, and it's a SHE.

Keep the names coming guys!

I thought of Lucifer, which is a mythical creature and means Bringer of Light (not the same creature as the satan Lucifer), but Robin reckoned that name would be better for a dark/black cat.

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #166 on: January 05, 2009, 21:35:53 PM »
- he has been sleeping ALL day. I hope this is normal and that he is just knackered from the BIG day yesterday, as well as all the surgery and stuff...

Its good that he's sleeping - means that he's relaxing after all the trauma.  He'll probably be a bit dopey (if not flat out) for a few days

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #165 on: January 05, 2009, 20:54:45 PM »

'Buster' Bugaboo Bugsy Malone

Awww now i like that  ;)

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #164 on: January 05, 2009, 20:52:27 PM »
We used to have a husky Dakota(Daks) but I'm not too sure about it for a cat :shy:

I like the name Ice,Atka,Blu,Chinook and Nakota :)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 20:53:48 PM by Gwen »
Love me,love my animals.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #163 on: January 05, 2009, 20:32:22 PM »
I will watch out for golden nuggets  ;) I hope there won't be too many of them!

'Buster' Bugaboo Bugsy Malone (his current nickname  :shify:) is still snoozing - he has been sleeping ALL day. I hope this is normal and that he is just knackered from the BIG day yesterday, as well as all the surgery and stuff...

I gave him half pouch of Hi Life Chicken that he loved and scoffed, didn't want to give too much incase it upset his lil tum.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #162 on: January 05, 2009, 19:33:51 PM »
He looks at home already  ;D
In regards to the poop, with nerve damage they cant always pinch off so you get abit left or it may be a one off. Watch out for random golden nuggets  :evillaugh: does he have any probs with weeing still?

Stitches, when are they due out, they can get itchy/tight if left in too long, magoo had this with his ears, they all dissolved bang on date apart from a few odd ones which made him mad!

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #161 on: January 05, 2009, 19:12:37 PM »
I like Buster but then I'm a simple soul  :rofl:  After all, he was pretty 'bust up' when he was lucky enough to find Nicky and  Blackpool cats in care

Link to CatChat