Author Topic: .. and the 2008 prize for idiot of the year!  (Read 3481 times)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
Re: .. and the 2008 prize for idiot of the year!
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 19:51:17 PM »
.. Still.. i hope  this puss is okay do we know what vets they took it to?

This was actually out of our area again - Thanet. I told her to take puss to PAH or any other vet if it was nearer.  :shy:

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 18:22:52 PM »
there is a first time for everyone, and there is only one way to learn. As a good friend says often, the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked ....

I found my way to Purrs  by asking a question ..... Although Id fostered cats in the past, and owned a fair number of my own, I wanted a bit of reassurance . It all turned out OK and I now own Mr T. 

But I can really identify with that "need reassurance" feeling ......
People Power Works!!!

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 18:18:38 PM »
Umm yes indeed Julie.. The call i had at 6am i could of easily not answered, and they would of got an right earful if it wasnt important  and there was no need to call that early. But in the instance i mention the lady knocked the cat over herself (by accident of course) and she was in totally shock... I have no idea how she got her number i think she may of just googled it on her mobile or something.. Still.. i hope  this puss is okay do we know what vets they took it to?
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 18:01:34 PM »
Despite us always telling folks we aren't an emergency service, they never seem to take on board this fact.  :shocked:

Fair enough if it is someone who has been given that advice in the past, but there is a first time for everyone, and there is only one way to learn. As a good friend says often, the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked ...

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 17:57:08 PM »
Well, I am pleased that not all RTA victims are made to wait for the likes of me to say it's okay to take them to a vet, but some are, sadly. Despite us always telling folks we aren't an emergency service, they never seem to take on board this fact.  :shocked:

Imagine if we were like some CPs who can only respond to messages in the evenings when vets are closed? Would these people really sit watching a cat suffer while they waited for permission to act?  :shify:

Not having a bash at this lady in particular and she did have a nice, caring nature and good intentions, but her approach was so typical of people unable to think for themselves. I find it all very frustrating... especially when it's the umpteenth call of this nature today.  :(

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 17:55:32 PM »
I had a call like this a few months back at 6am in the morning... ! I told her to get it to the vets despite her being out of our area.. she took it to Canterbury but the cat died before getting treatment... I think many people think they will be liable to pay, but i tell people that vets have a duty of care and many local vets to us will probably end up contacting us anyhow. However the Canterbury out of hours vets probably want as they do alot of RSPCA work and sadly we only get to know about a few that we save from the PTS due to no one paying the vets bills. Jesiri was one such puss cat. However other vets usually do contact us.. So it depends where the cat goes i suppose and what rescue takes it on as that has a lot depending on who pays and who decides on any treatment if a stray.. Sometimes it really is a postcode lottery!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 17:46:00 PM »
I think you're right there BC people want to help but if they have no experience just need to be told what to do when they're a bit worried.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 16:34:28 PM »
yes Wibblechick I think you may have hit the nail on the head. She clearly cared enough to rescue the poor thing. Some people just need to be 'given permission' before they take more active steps is all...

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 16:30:52 PM »
My initial thought was "What a  :Crazy:" but perhaps it was simply ignorance and shock - and it sounds as if the cat will be taken care of.  I wonder if she was simply waiting for someone to say "I will come and deal with the situation" and relieve her of further responsibility? 
People Power Works!!!

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 16:15:03 PM »
Oh, she sounded a nice enough woman and was really concerned about this poor puss.  :)

What I couldn't get over is the fact she had it together enough to go out and buy cat food and made puss comfortable on a cushion, had researched and found our phone number but somehow her brain didn't tell her the obvious; injured animal = take to vet.  :tired:

As soon as I told her that if you find an injured animal you should take it to a vet, she said she'd take it straight away. It's enough to give a girl a God complex, it really is - there are some folks incapable of working basic things out for themselves. :shy:

Some people would be dangerous if they had a brain cell  :rofl:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 16:08:41 PM »
Oh, she sounded a nice enough woman and was really concerned about this poor puss.  :)

What I couldn't get over is the fact she had it together enough to go out and buy cat food and made puss comfortable on a cushion, had researched and found our phone number but somehow her brain didn't tell her the obvious; injured animal = take to vet.  :tired:

As soon as I told her that if you find an injured animal you should take it to a vet, she said she'd take it straight away. It's enough to give a girl a God complex, it really is - there are some folks incapable of working basic things out for themselves. :shy:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 15:32:45 PM »
Aw I hope the cat got some help
Sounds like the finder was in a state of shock after finding such a badly injuried cat x

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 15:28:52 PM »
 :Crazy: :Crazy: :Crazy: Doh!!!

Fingers crossed they do take her to the vet and she is OK.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
.. and the 2008 prize for idiot of the year!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 15:26:20 PM »
Our lovely Sally has been manning our branch line all through the Crimbo period, despite being unable to speak hardly with the flu, so I couldn't shirk today's shift.  :innocent:

It's been a fairly heavy day so far, obviously first working day since Christmas so folks have been saving up their grief, but the call I just took has won the prize.

Caller - I've found this poor old cat and I think she's been hit by a car.

Me - Oh, yes. Poor thing! How can we help?

Caller - She can't use her back legs and is dragging them.

Me - That's awful. What do you need from me?

Caller - I don't know what to do with her.

Me - I can tell you the name and number of the nearest vet if you tell me where you live.

Caller - Do you think I should take her to the vet, then?

:brick: :brick: :brick:

Link to CatChat