Author Topic: Where have all these new cat breeds come from. Your Cat Mag current edition  (Read 2260 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Where have all these new cat breeds come from. Your Cat Mag current edition
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 19:02:13 PM »
http://newbreedcats.com/ its like a scientific expeiment and i dont like the way they label the sections experimental etc, these are live animals not inanimate objects  >:(
Its making 'designer' cats for the faddy got to have the newest cat available type people, no ordinary person could afford to buy one.

Its not just new breeds that are picking up faults and following them either - look at the persians that are being pumped out, so squashed up they cant breath during everyday activities  >:( >:(

Catbird

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 10:52:18 AM »
So she breeds the twistycats not to sell but for her own amusement? WTF!?

This is why the last para of Blackcat's first post would be a very good direction to head in IMO.

C.

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 21:52:38 PM »
So she breeds the twistycats not to sell but for her own amusement? WTF!?

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
well, can't see the video as I still don't have flashplayer sorted, but yes, from the written info, that is a prime example of breeder vanity exceeding the bounds of common sense and animal welfare ... >:(

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
I think there should be a ban on all new breeds purely while there is such an overpopulation issue - I thought I was having to help home a Persian the day before Christmas Eve, so I got in touch with the pedigree rescue that helped with Rolo, she told me that last year she helped out 759 cats, and she hasn't worked out this years figures yet, but she is just finishing homing a group of cats she took from someone - there was either 40 something or 50 something - all unusual breeds too (Snowshoes, Tiffanies, Bombays etc), I hadnt heard of a couple of them. That makes her larger than most of the moggie rescues I know.

I also dont think any animals that couldnt survive naturally should be bred either, and I dont agree with Munchkins, although there are worse breeds such as Twisty cats - although not sure they are still around - edit, maybe they are

http://www.bestweekever.tv/2008/11/06/twisty-cats-so-adorable-its-retarded/
Please spay your cat

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
I used to breed cats, so I guess I can provide my response on that basis. I think that any breed that reinforces faults such as dwarfism, hairlessness or similar which, if nature were to take its course, would reduce the animal's survivability, should be actively discouraged (as indeed should be breeding for 'type' to the extent the animal's health is compromised).

The question of 'new breeds' is more complex. Arguably there are quite enough breeds to give any reasonable person a wide choice in terms of shape, colour, personality and the like, and I am concerned that many new breeds are catering to the 'pets as ornaments' crowd.

Up until recently I have been under the impression that Bengal Cats, for example, were banned in Australia, but I have discovered in the last couple of days that not only are they there, there are over 30 breeders on-line (which presumably does not include the smaller breeders). That a breed that was banned when I left five years ago has become so popular in such a short time that is warrants that level of exposure, is concerning. It suggests a whole heap of people 'jumping on the bandwagon' with little thought for the animal, its ultimate destination, or responsible ownership. BTW I adore Bengals and have passed up several opportunities to have one since here on the grounds I was concerned I would not be able to take it home with me, but that is by the way ...

If, before breeding, people could be required to undergo training and suitability asessment and licencing based on a high standard of animal welfare, then perhaps we would not have the problems we have with back-yard breeders and irresponsibly owners - it is the eternal question, really.

Catbird

Funnily enough, I was having this conversation with Dot's breeder last week.  We both thoguht that Munchkins should not be bred deliberately at all - they arise from a form of dwarfism and can crop up, albeit fairly rarely, in any breed.  To breed selectively with the intention of reproducing a fault seems very wrong to me.  Yes, this is the way that evolution works (ie species develop through faults in genetic "copying") but faults like that which produces Munchkins would, if left alone, almost certainly remain rare, or die out completely, as these cats would be less likely to reproduce.

The tiger ones are called "Toygers" and this is a relatively new breed.  These cats are being bred to look like mini-tigers, in much the same way, I think, that Bengals were bred to look like mini-leopards.  I'm not sure I have so much of a problem with this, as the aim is to produce a healthy, happy cat (that looks like a tiger that went through on a hot wash).

I know there are plenty on here who don't hold with the breeding of pedigrees at all, but I would be interested in the thoughts of those of us who have pedigree cats.  Should new breeds be developed?  Should a feature that began as a "fault" be used to create a new breed (eg Scottish Folds)?

Returning briefly to the conversation Dot's breeder and I had - we were both worried that some cat breeders may go to the extremes of some dog breeders and end up producing entirely unnatural cats, like, for example, bulldogs who now cannot mate unaided and have to have their pups born by Caesarian because the heads won't fit down the birth canal.

I think that it would be a sad thing to lose the wide variety of breeds that we have but I also think that breeding at present stands on something of a precipice and that regulations need to be tightened to stop less responsible breeders producing "freaks".

What do other pedigree breeders and owners think?

C.

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn

Teacup cats are not a breed btw.  Just  :censored:'s breeding runts to get small cats  >:(

I worry very much that "Teacups" promote the idea of cats being playthings ....... Sort of thing that attracts Mr T's original owners ..... watch this space - In a few years time I might have a rescued Teacup!! :(
People Power Works!!!

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
I think part of the reason there seem to be more breeds mentioned in cat mags is that both the major mags seem to recognise FIFe and TICA more these days, whereas they used to just acknowledge GCCF.  Munchkin, for example, is not a a registered breed with GCCF but I think it probably is with one or both of the orther organisations?

Teacup cats are not a breed btw.  Just  :censored:'s breeding runts to get small cats  >:(

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
Anyone heard of the Teacups?  Bred specially to be tiny - I always used to think cats were lucky, because they didnt get bred into such bizarre shapes as dogs ..... Now Im not so sure :(

http://www.pictures-of-cats.org/teacup-cats.html
People Power Works!!!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Munchkins have been around a number of years now, and yes they do have various health issues due to how they're bred. It disgusts me that we tamper with any animal in such a way purely for aesthetic purposes.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
Where have all these new cat breeds come from. Your Cat Mag current edition
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 08:16:39 AM »
I picked up a Your Cat Mag to read over Christmas and am somewhat taken back from the listings at the back on current cat breeds, there is a listing for Munchin (is that right) cats and Tiger something or another (i lent the mag to a friend so if anyone has a copy handy you see on the back pages, its the one with the British Shorthair write up..

Where do all these needs breeds come from and why do people breed Munchin cats anyhow, they must suffer from spine problems with short legs etc.. And in a cat magazine who should perhaps have some responsibility on cat welfare, esp as there was a good article within the mag on breeding of cats that have known health problems.

its terrible!!

I might even write a letter at my digust to them promoting such breeds but i am sure they are not the only mag to do this..>?

Thoughts if anyone has seen this before
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Link to CatChat