Author Topic: mangos still got a eating disorder  (Read 5633 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: mangos still got a eating disorder
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2007, 21:54:21 PM »
Milly's mum - she did say she wasn't sure before posting that - and you can't fully find out a cats kidney function by checking their urine either, so I would have thought that would be checked on bloods too.
Fingers crossed she has put some weight on when she is weighed on Fri.
Please spay your cat

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2007, 19:51:49 PM »
vet nurse rang to see if her mouth was better and she said that she will weigh her for me fri

shes had 1 eighth of a kitten pouch of natures menu for her tea

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2007, 17:17:27 PM »
would be good if you could find out what for

Further up the post Cosmic mentioned the vet wanting to test her liver. They willl do the test that my George has just had, Bile Acid Stimulation, he will be wanting to rule out a shunt as Mango is not putting on weight.

In regards to i/d, i cant see this being an appropiate diet either! Its not particulary palatable and Mango doesnt have digestive difficulties.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2007, 15:11:04 PM »
Sadly it doesn't - it can start as little as 3 days of not eating, although the norm is a week, will try and find some links later. I wont let any of mine go longer than a day without food as I am paranoid about it.
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2007, 14:13:36 PM »
I believe that it take 2wks of fasting for a cat to develop hepatic lipidosis. Cats go downhill very quickly if they don't eat for more than a few days. I'm not advocating starving any cat, just being patient and not giving in to the games they sometimes play if they haven't got what they want.  Having said that, even I fall for those soppy eyes, and the "how could you do this to me?" look! But when I know they are playing with me cos I've been spoiling them and they're refusing to eat their normal food again, I try to hold out; it only takes a day or so.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2007, 13:39:01 PM »
Good point Hippy - and I think that is why the second vet has suggested blood tests - would be good if you could find out what for Cosmic. Some cats are just chronically fussy eaters though - and cats should never be left as long as 3 days, some cats will not come round to eating a certain food, and you are then risking Hepatic Lipidosis, which can kill (stats are a 70% survival rate, but it requires aggressive treatment and can take months)
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2007, 13:03:19 PM »
Is it just me who thinks this: cats like to eat, they enjoy food, therefore a cat who isn't eating has something wrong with it....... The cure isn't some faddy diet but to deal with the root cause.
There are many reasons for a cat not eating. The cause should be found and dealt with, even if this is a matter of eliminating simple things (eg furball), before going onto more serious things like hypothyroidism (though UNDERactive thyroid is rare in cats), other forms of blockage, FLV etc.
Yes, a cat may be fussy about food, but they usually 'go on hunger strike' for about 3 days before coming round to eating what they're given, because food is one of a cat's main pleasures.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2007, 08:13:36 AM »
A/D should only be used for about 3 weeks, and it can be addictive, but doesn't have the right nutrients to be fed long term, so most vets do want to move the cat off it - but a tin a week is fine for longer term. I am puzzled by him putting her on I/D - unless the tins are different to the pouches I have, cos they say 'Reduced fat, highly digestible food with prebiotic fibre sources for better digestion and rapid relief from vomiting and diarrhea'
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2007, 23:17:54 PM »
Oh yes I know the problem LOL

I used to take a list and still miss half the things. I used to have a big carrier for a small cat and it used to sit on top of a 4 wheeled shopping trolley and I used a stick, had no balance.

we used to have to travel one stop on the train and trying to get off the train was a problem but the worse one was going up and down the stairs at the station.

Then it would take ages to walk to the vets cos I could only walk about 1mph at time. If we needed to bring AD home that had to be attached to the carrier and like you my purse , keys, etc used to be in carrier. Kocka used to have an accident nearly every journey cos she hated the vets so much................oh boy those were the days  ;D

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2007, 23:07:37 PM »
i go with a list so i dont forget ( he thinks im a little mad but with a 2 yr old and a 4 yr old in tow  the cat and massive cat carrier which is 5 times bigger than the cat is a sight to behold )

i have the 2 yr old on the reigns over my arm and holding onto my 4 yr olds hand as shes scared of big dogs  , the cat carrier in the other hand with the purse inside with the cat as i dont have enough hands  :rofl:

i,m a right state when i get them all back in the car  :rofl:

if i dont take the list i,v forgot what im there for  :rofl:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2007, 23:00:45 PM »
I dont know what I/D is but you can check on the Hills website.

You should ask your vet why, I know its hard to think of the questions at the time but he should explain, so ring him up and ask.

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2007, 22:17:50 PM »
i think im going to be in that position gill  :innocent:

the vet did say that I/D might be batter in the long term but didnt say why , have u herd of it

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2007, 19:03:19 PM »
Ad is brilliant, kept my thin cat Kocka eating for about 4years,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,note you wouldnt feed it very long normally but it was the only thing she would eat.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2007, 15:00:45 PM »
Few cats can resist it so it's good for tempting poor eaters to eat.

Also so easy to syringe fed if necessary. I always have a few tins in.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2007, 13:02:06 PM »
A high fat prescription diet for ill/recovering/underweight cats. Made by Hills.

Yeh that!  Few cats can resist it so it's good for tempting poor eaters to eat.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2007, 12:37:16 PM »
A high fat prescription diet for ill/recovering/underweight cats. Made by Hills.

Milly just pukes alot whe she has a hairball  :sick:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2007, 12:32:39 PM »
Susanne, what is a/d? Never heard the terminology before.

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 12:25:52 PM »
she has a tiny amount of a/d so i am offerig it more often now

i will get some furball treatment , she wont eat the tuna  :rofl:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 12:21:29 PM »
Yes - Magpie used to go off his food a bit when he had a furrball.  Try some katalax (fur ball treatment) which you can get from your vet or (cheaper) from vetuk.

How is Mango getting on with the a/d?  If she likes that maybe give it a bit more often?

It may just be her phase of growth.  when I got Mosi he shot up and was long and lanky for a while, then he filled out and got a but tubby, now at just turned 1 he's grown long and lanky again!

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 12:05:26 PM »
Yes, she could still have one.
The symptoms are: going off food, coughing, eating grass, throwing up. Not all of these symptoms may be present. Just going off food is enough to suspect it in a longhaired cat. The solution is simple: furball treatment. Get this from vet or pet shop. If the furball is slight, get your cat a tin of tuna or other fish IN OIL. I give Sam this every few weeks. She swallows a lot of fur from grooming her friend, Polly.
If it's severe, go to vet.
It takes an experience eye to recognise furball from anything major. Best thing: go to vet.

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 11:58:17 AM »
i groom her daily and she has a long flowing shiny coat and never had a matt
could she still have a furball what are the symptoms

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 11:25:39 AM »
If she's a persian, she might have a furball. Do you brush her daily? I used to have a maine coon style moggy who had to be brushed every night (he told me off if I forgot!), otherwise he became badly matted. Furballs do stifle cats appetites, but can be easily remedied.

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 11:19:50 AM »
she is a persian so supposed to be a little stocky however she is female and vet says a small cat

she has eaten a little natures menu but doesnt seem impressed mouth is fine now i think she had licked at her advantage flea treatment

she is happy enough

i can remember moomin been underweight at this age , in the last 6 months she has filled out , she has been eating the a/d though  :innocent:

i think mango might be a little lonely cause moomin is allowed out and mango just has to waite till she comes in normally at night just to sleep she hardly plays with her
i have been thinking about getting anouther indor persian for mango to play with but we have just sold our house so amwaiting till we get settled in the new house ( when we find one we can afford  :-[ house that is )

i have tried warming her food but she seems to like it rom temp better

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 09:12:05 AM »
As the vet says she isn't thin, maybe she's got a foriegn body-type, and is supposed to be svelte, not cobby. (Is she a moggy or known pedigree?)
One of my moggies is naturally slim, she has a Siamese body-type and long nose.
It's quite common for cats to pick at food and come back to it later. One thought: are you giving puss food from the fridge? Cats don't like chilled food.
Avoid dry food, it's very concentrated, your cat will eat little else, and get no liquid from this. Give your cat tinned food, a little at a time. It's okay to leave the food out at this time of year, provided the feeding place isn't too well-heated. Allow your cat to 'graze'.
Did the vet weigh your cat to compare with on your next visit in two weeks? If so, and there is more weight loss when the mouth problems have healed, go with any blood tests your vet recommends.
For now, try not to worry too much.
Sometimes Samantha goes off her food if she has a furball (which she gets lots of, from washing her fluffy, lazy friend, Polly).

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 07:59:05 AM »
Interesting. I personally would still try the Exigent food - I am surprised that PAH dont' stock it to be honest. I know Smylee's stock it, they do the small 400g bags, just dont know how much they would charge you p &p on it, but it is worth asking about, they are very friendly and helpful.
Please spay your cat

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 19:28:04 PM »
i,m not sure
he tested hr water to make sure her kidneys are working well and they are so he said that he would like to check her liver function

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 11:51:05 AM »
I would use Gillian's idea of feeding at set times so you can see just how much she is eating - you can always introduce free feeding later when you are sure she is eating a certain amount. What kind of blood tests does the vet want to do?
Please spay your cat

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 08:28:52 AM »
i was going o try that gillianbut im a little scared to take it away as i know she grazes and i want her to eat when shes hungry

i know what your saying though and it might work

shes had about 1\8 of a tin of a/d this morn
her swelling of her lips has gone down a bit

gill i will also try that idea of raising her food

she dunt like owt off that list really she used to lovetuna but doesnt seem to like it anymore

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 01:17:02 AM »
Another thing you could try is to raise her food dish up off the floor, I dont know her size but Kocka was a small cat and a six pack of cokes was just the right height. Sometimes they find it easy to eat at that height.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 19:39:54 PM »
Do you leave food down for her, the biscuits or whatever? or do you offer meals a couple of times a day? If you leave biscuits down it could be that she's grazing on those and therefore only picking at whatever else you give her.

I would feed once in the morning and again in the evening, with perhaps a small snack/meal before bedtime, so that she eats what is put in front of her at each mealtime and not leave biscuits down, save them for bedtime treat maybe. I think if you can get her into a routine of meals like this you will find she'll eat better.  Is there something that she really likes out of the list? I agree with the other vet about fish, but I think its ok once in a while if she likes it. Its also right about not being able to smell the food as well as cats with 'normal'  :evillaugh: noses - which is why wet food is better as generally more smell to it.

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
mangos still got a eating disorder
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 19:17:15 PM »
right ...... mango eats but only small amounts she is very thin but the vet ses not too thin as she is a small cat
today i went to see anouther vet he ses that she is too thin and after her sore mouth settles he is giving her 2 wk to get a good appitite , if she doesnt he is going to do blood test , which is ok with me

she has no sickness or runs and is playing

anyway i have tried
chicken , fish , sardines , tuna , salmon ( vet ses fish are no good for cats as they dont catch fish in the wild , good point , and dont help them put weight on  ) raw meat , cooked meat , warmed food , soft cheese , hard cheese, butter, ham ,  JWB, persian 30 , and i have tried natures menu meat as you all suggested and a/d she must be eating as she would not still be healthy but she will not eat out of hand

she nick pics at everything has anyone got anymore suggestions as i am running out  :(  
i asked the vet about rc exigent but they dont stock it at the vets or pets at home  and he ses that its no good keep trying different foods off the internet he needs to do blood tests next ,but as its for fussy eaters surly its worth a try ! untill he sees it fit to try the blood test

honestly i think shes fine shes just not got a big appitite i dont think theres anything wrong medically but  i will have the test done no prob , he also said that as she has small nostrels she might not beable to smell  food properly ! :(

Link to CatChat