Author Topic: Lord of the Rings  (Read 5452 times)

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
Re: Lord of the Rings
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2006, 13:54:25 PM »
Jack - it'll be out on DVD in no time... hopefully!  :-:
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2006, 14:07:31 PM »
With any luck it'll be out on DVD soon.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2006, 12:41:51 PM »
Like the LOTR trilogy and Terry Pratchett!

Just looked on that link Lynn, and dangnamit The Hogfather's on Sky! :(

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Dudethecat

• Kitten
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2006, 20:44:35 PM »
Hehe. I just started reading the books again for about the 40954309 time. Then I plan on watching the movies all over again :). It's nice to see some fellow fans.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2006, 17:10:12 PM »
Missed it and haven't seen it - oh well it'll be repeated soon enough!

I'm a pratchett fan - prefer the earlier books though. They are a couple of plays floating around that I have seen and would reccommend them - perhaps the humour is more noticable when verbal.

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2006, 10:06:15 AM »
Have the dvds of both the theatrical and extended versions -  prefer the extended editions as they add so much.  I've had a few marathon LotR days watching all 3 (that's certainly bum numbing!) and have watched the commentaries and other extras over and over.  Think it's fair to say I'm a fan!   Never watch it on tv as I'm rather anal about watching films in the aspect ration in which they were made - and channel 4 have butchered those beautifully composed scenes by refusing to show them in the letterbox widescreen they were made in  :censored:   Don't get me started on that!  cant stand ads in films either.

Susanne, that sounds like me and my hubbie. We have all the versions of the box sets and have had marathons. We are also very anal about aspect ratio. The commentaries and extras are really interesting. My husband had read all the books, and adored them.
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere. Groucho Marx.

Offline Beth (Mouse's Mum)

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2006, 08:50:44 AM »
The battle in the last LOTR has to be the best ever and Legoland is just gorgeous!  :Luv:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2006, 23:45:58 PM »
heres some info, if you google more you'll prob get more info but heres this for just now

http://www.colin-smythe.com/terrypages/tpnewsfolder/tpnews080206.htm

Offline Lyn-Su

• Senior Cat
  • Fearne
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2006, 23:42:27 PM »
Susanne: My sister is a big fan of LotR, and has the books, so I may borrow them over Christmas and give them a try again (it does annoy me that I haven't read them, as I usually devour books  >:()

Lynn: I didn't know about the Christmas Pratchett thing. I'll keep an eye out for that, Thanks :)

Lyn x
(Geek Extraordinaire)

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2006, 23:41:07 PM »
Yip, my OH just loves these books.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2006, 23:39:04 PM »
my hubby got tons of pratchett novels and see theres a pratchett thing coming on tv at crimbo time with david jason, im looking forward to seeing that even tho ive not read the books

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2006, 23:33:44 PM »
My very first forray into internet forums was on a lord of the rings forum just before the first film came out.? Have been a fan of the books since childhood and have re-read them umpteem times so like a lot of LotR fans I was very hesitant about the films.? Loved them though and spent the best part of 3 years discussing, analysing and pulling apart both books and films on first that then another forum (when the first one was overrun by a particularly virulent troll!). And ok, there was? fair bit of drooling going on too? :innocent:? ?Kind of all LotR'd out now!? But still love both films and books.? I'd be way too embarrassed to admit to anyone but my fellow LotR fanatics on that forum how many times I saw the films at the cinema.? Have the dvds of both the theatrical and extended versions -? prefer the extended editions as they add so much.? I've had a few marathon LotR days watching all 3 (that's certainly bum numbing!) and have watched the commentaries and other extras over and over.? Think it's fair to say I'm a fan!? ?Never watch it on tv as I'm rather anal about watching films in the aspect ration in which they were made - and channel 4 have butchered those beautifully composed scenes by refusing to show them in the letterbox widescreen they were made in? :censored:? ?Don't get me started on that!? cant stand ads in films either.

Lyn-Su - lots of people who enjoyed the films don't like the books.? LotR is very different to the hobbit (which was written for kids, despite many people thinking otherwise LotR was actually written for adults) and is much more wordy.? I love it but the language can sometimes be beautiful and at other times annoying.? They're not what a lot of people expect when they read them after seeing the films.? They are wonderful books but not for everyone.? Quite a few things were changed for the film (and a few characters left out) - caused a few heated debates on message boards!? Theyr'e certainly nothing like Terry Pratchett (who I also love).

In fact, to show what a saddo I am I'll admit that when the dvds were released I ordered them from overseas as the R1 versions tended to be sent out sooner than the R2 version and I couldn't wait the extra days.  Then I took the day off work to watch it  :-[

« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 23:35:36 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Lyn-Su

• Senior Cat
  • Fearne
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 23:13:36 PM »
I've Sky + it to watch tomorrow (and wizz through all the adverts :))

I've not read the books, I did start reading the Hobbit, but I couldn't get into it, so I never read the trilogy.

Strange considering I own a full set(ish) of Pratchett Discworld novels  :Crazy:

Offline sonya

• Distinguished Cat
  • Ozzy Daisy and Ebony
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2006, 22:57:41 PM »
 Just a wee bit, was even considering changing two of my sons names to Frodo and Sam and then thought maybe that was taking it just a bit too far  :rofl:
Cats are like vodkas-you cant just have one

Offline Mandi

• Adult Cat
  • My Salam and little Willow behind
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 22:56:29 PM »
I'll say  :rofl:
Mandi xxxx

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 22:53:01 PM »
Just a bit of a fan then Sonya (LOL)  :)

Offline sonya

• Distinguished Cat
  • Ozzy Daisy and Ebony
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 22:51:08 PM »
Read the books, seen the film, drooled over aragorn, cried over Boromir (saddo that I am) and if I could speak Elvish and fix pointy gelatine ears to meself to get Viggo to kiss me like that then I would  :Luv:
Cats are like vodkas-you cant just have one

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 22:46:48 PM »
Not really into LOR - OH is a big fan and rented all the films as they came out on DVD.  He has read all the books too.

Offline Mandi

• Adult Cat
  • My Salam and little Willow behind
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 22:45:00 PM »
Ive never seen any of them....have the dvds but not got around to watching them yet
Mandi xxxx

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 22:26:14 PM »
I must say I am a fan of the series myself. The fantastic cinematography is nearly nearly surpassed by the totty count.
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere. Groucho Marx.

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 21:54:37 PM »
my son could be a golem stand in when he's naked he's sooo skinny. (not facially of course)

PMSL  :rofl:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 21:48:27 PM »
my son could be a golem stand in when he's naked he's sooo skinny. (not facially of course)

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
Lord of the Rings
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 21:30:24 PM »
On Channel 4 at mo

Aragorn -  :Luv: :Luv:

Link to CatChat