Author Topic: candles  (Read 2300 times)

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
Re: candles
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 09:20:57 AM »
I've not used candles since I've had Max as I wouldn't trust him not to knock them flying lol!

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 17:37:20 PM »
We get pwer cuts often and I have the candles stuck inside a splendour jar but its a night mare, I hate having them lit.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 20:08:31 PM »
I've not lit any since I've had Mosi but I used to light candles with Jaffa and Magpie about (not when they were kittens though).  I generally just lit them in an evening when they'd both settled down to their post supper nap and I was watching tv and could keep an eye on them.  I found the best place to put them was on a shelf/top of a bookcase where there was a lot of space around them.  That way if they did jump up beside them there was room for them to do that and not knock the cancles over accidentally, although I always used tea lights or short fat candles that couldn't easily be knocked over.  If they showed signs of going anywhere near them I usually put them out (the candles, not the cats!) or watched them like a hawk to see how they were behaving.   Anytime they approached a candle I'd go over there and either divert them from the candle or blow it out.  If they were showing signs of being active and not sleeping that was my cue that candle time was over!

I think it depends on how you think your cats will react.  Obviously don't light them if your cats are having a mad half an hour racing around the room, but if they're asleep on the bed and you're in the living room watching tv it may be ok.  Just be sure you dont' leave them unattended and if looks like they showing interest or might jump up beside them blow them out.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 17:54:30 PM »
My candles are now redundant, we had a powercut and had to use some and Lola was adamant she needed to sniff them. It was the worse evening guarding candles  :shify:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 17:43:38 PM »
CC's idea of water with the candles is a good one.  We use candles al ot - almost every night in the winter (they help to keep the front room warm apart from the fact I like them) but I have had hairy moments like when Flynn's tail caught fire and he was totally oblivious, so they do need careful watching!  Paddy doesn't bother now he's an oldie, but younger cats are very mischievous so you need to be watchful.

I know Lynn's Cody has singed himself once or twice as well.....     :evillaugh:

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 14:35:53 PM »
We light candles alot, but never have cats and candles in the same room without supervision. They never show a vague interest though, and the candles are not on "cat level"
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

ccmacey

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 14:05:16 PM »
I put candles in little glass bowls with water (floating candles) so if they get knocked they will go out, my cats don't go near them and I only use them on the fireplace so I can see them all the time. I have other candles but don't light them, I think the fumes are bad for you.

Offline chimpzoo

• Adult Cat
    • last days
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 11:07:44 AM »
I use candles from time to time, but generally either in the fireplace area (ie: a place my cats don't go!) or in a wall mounted holder. I wouldn't trust my lot to not knock over a candle during a mad half hour. And I have to say, if any candles are lit in the fireplace area, I'm in the room.

I was wondering if cats instinctively stay away from candles but 'the mad half hour' could lead to disaster, i never thought about wall mounted holders out of reach. I expect all other option are just an unnecessary risk.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 10:22:24 AM »
I use candles from time to time, but generally either in the fireplace area (ie: a place my cats don't go!) or in a wall mounted holder. I wouldn't trust my lot to not knock over a candle during a mad half hour. And I have to say, if any candles are lit in the fireplace area, I'm in the room.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 09:58:04 AM »
Cat+Candle=TROUBLE
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 00:43:39 AM »
No I dont think they are safe

Offline chimpzoo

• Adult Cat
    • last days
candles
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 23:09:05 PM »
I occasionally used a few tea light candles before i got my cat but never since. What do other cat owners do? Are candles safe with cats? - as long as they can see them on low coffee tables, fireplace hearth ect and not on shelves they might jump up on and accidently bump into them ?

Link to CatChat