Author Topic: Clawdette  (Read 2772 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Clawdette
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 14:11:15 PM »
i am so very sorry to hear this, it is so much harder to come to terms with when they are healthy and it is so sudden, I had the same with Ginger. But, it is better than them being ill for a long time, although it doesnt seem like it now. RIP little one.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 23:12:02 PM »
So very sad and like bc, I am pleased you came back and told us  :hug: :hug:  Cats are so very intelligent and the others are missing her as much as you.

RIP Clawdette, send a message to say you have arrived on the Bridge

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 21:04:55 PM »
DM, I am so glad you remembered us in your hour of need and so glad that other members were a little more on the ball than me in responding. I am so sorry for your loss, it must be that much harder there in the dark and cold. My lot send you comforting purrs and love.

Take care of yourself and your feline friends. They know you need them all the more now ... :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Dark Moon

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 20:44:54 PM »
Thank you all

Have spoken with the vet. She says that she believes it a case of cardiomyopathy. Roughly translated that is sudden heart failure caused by a failed valve, an embolism, either, both, or something else. Major and normally only symptom in cats is sudden death. No previous symptoms, even though the condition was there and worsening over time. Dogs show prior symptoms. Cats normally don’t.

I knew it had to have been heart related. My ‘Baby Angus’ (his name was just Angus but he was a runt and so was always referred to as ‘Baby Angus’) died of congestive heart failure, also when relatively young. I kept him alive for a year and a half (and it was a good year and a half for him. He was not an invalid during that time. I would not have allowed that) through Lasix and love – and that was a year and a half longer than the vets thought he had. But his ultimate death signs were the same. That’s why I recognized them in her. It had to have been heart. But there was no prior failing in her. She was the picture of excellent feline health, vitality and happiness – and then, just like that, she died.

To have it come out of the blue with absolutely no warning whatever………… My being aches and cries as it would in other circumstances, but now also suffers from what can only be described as the shocking blow of a  sudden bullet through the heart.

I have been awake all night, obviously. For the first hours I was literally in shock – just numb and disbelieving. Sadly, that has worn off now and now I hurt and ache and cry. It helps to be able to know what most likely happened. Not much, but a little.

She was one of those rare (to me) cats - an orange female. Most are males (and I understand the genetics of that). She had extra toes (hence the name "CLAWdette" - though that's what she came with from the Humane society. I saw no reason to change it. It suited. She was... well, once there was a cat named Ariadne........ softest of the softs. Mother of us all (though not one of us were ever her biological kittens). Clawdette was so much like my long gone Ariadne. So gentle. Loving.  Unassuming. So much so - you would never know she was around. Except at night when she would haul each and every last one of her fuzzy toys up the stairs to bed, cooing at them as she went, to deposit them, and herself, in my bed.

She was too young to go, though I never honestly knew her age. But she could have been 100 and still have been too young to go.

I find it hard to find anything to be thankful of in any of this. But if I have to then I guess it would be that she went relatively quickly. They never go quickly. Cats fight and claw and scream against the darkness. But, at least, she didn't have the weeks, months and years others have suffered through.

They miss her too. They launched themselves off the bed as I did when she cried. They pounded on the door here to my study to come in when we were here and she was going.  Somewhere long about 3ish I tossed myself into a tub of hot water. Edgar came into the bath with me. Hopped onto the edge (it's an old, lion's claw tub and so not stable footing for edge walking! Though they do it.) and then crawled down my shoulders onto my chest. Where he turned around, settled down facing me, tail in the water, and just sat and watched and purred, water lapping around him. Never had a bath with a cat before. Well, I have - but those were accidents on their parts and I have the scars..... He was upset.

Winston dug and dug to get in the door here then, finally, went upstairs. It is 13 hours later and he is just now coming down. Hasn't eaten. Didn;lt stay. Just came in. Toured. Left.  He's upset.

They know.

We have lost a very precious family member.

May the gods keep you and yours safe until then. Because you can just never tell when one will be snatched away. Likely just as well, but still……. Be thankful.

a

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 20:32:33 PM »
Oh my goodness, Im so sorry to hear this  :(

RIP Clawdette, send your mummy a rainbow xxx

:hug:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 19:30:49 PM »
So so sorry Hun - thinking of you xxx

RIP Clawdette - play hard at the bridge sweetheart xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 19:23:02 PM »
How awful for you and Clawdette.  My Dragan will look out for her at the Bridge RIP sweetie  :hug:

Offline sylvie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 16:01:22 PM »
 :'( :'( :'( I'm so sorry to hear that..... But I'm sure: One day you will see your darling again.... :hug: :hug: :hug:
Every day without a smilie is a lost day !

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 15:05:42 PM »
Really sorry to hear about Clawdette  :hug:  She'll be sfae and sound at the Bridge by now waiting for you until you are ready to collect her  :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 15:04:31 PM »
How terribly heartbreaking for you :(   my heart goes out to you at this sad time :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 10:18:11 AM »
 :hug:  I'm so sorry to hear that, it must have been very scary for you, I would have a word with the vet about what could have happened to try and put your mind at rest a litttle.  I wonder whether it was her heart (something rare you would not have known about) we are here to chat if you need us, do take care xx

godbless Clawdette xx
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 10:20:06 AM by janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 10:13:29 AM »
:RIP: Little One :'(

You did not fail her.
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Dark Moon

Clawdette
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 10:05:20 AM »
died three and a half hours ago. I have absolutely no idea why. I woke Friday morning with her beside my head, as always. She was fine. I didn't notice her through the day - being holed up in here (it's cold and windy and snowy) reading. Went to bed and read some more. Fell asleep after 10. Before midnight I awoke to a cry. She was over on the rocker. Prostrate, pupils dilated, mouth agape, shallow panting, cold as ice. Struggled a bit to 'right' herself but could not even manage to lay upright. I knew there was no hope but I called the vet anyway. Less than a half hour later she died here with me in the study.

I have NO idea what happened. She was not old. She came to me from the humane society as a young adult in '99. There were no signs of illness. No vomiting. Nothing. Even in death she was the picture of health. It wasn't poison - I have nothing here that she could have got into (and none of my others (17 of them) are sick). But heart etc. is so rare in cats.

But she's gone and I just cannot understand what has happened. I just cannot understand. I am sorry but there was just no one else I could say all this to at what is 4 a.m. here.

Oh Clawdette, Clawdette. What on Earth happened to you? How did I fail you?

Please let your little ones 'know' so they can welcome her as she goes across that bridge.

:'( :'( :'(

Link to CatChat