Author Topic: kneading and suckling...  (Read 3487 times)

Offline Déborah

• Adult Cat
Re: kneading and suckling...
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2007, 13:00:06 PM »
Thanks for all the advice folk  :),

I'll try to get her booked for tuesday in 2 weeks, and I'll try to stop worrying about it so much!

Déborah xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2007, 17:13:59 PM »
I would go for early n the week, so if there are any probs with stitches and stuff you can get her straight back, rather than have to see an emergency vet over a weekend.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2007, 13:52:48 PM »
I remember the first time I had to sign the consent form!!!! It basically gave consent for the anaesthetic, and that I wouldn't hold the vet responsible if the cat died as a result!!!!! I spent all day worrying, till I phoned and found that she was coming round and I could collect her. It's always traumatic to leave a cat at the vet for an op, but anaesthetics have come a long way, and are now much safer than even 20 years ago. I even let one of my old ladies have an op at the age of 18ish.
Afterwards, they're always groggy and 'drunk'; some are better than others. Generally, there are few complications (apart from the small risk of infection) after the op.
Personally, I think it's best to be with your cat for the first 12hrs or so afterwards, and take things from there, depending upon how she seems. If you're very worried (and you say that it would be easy to arrange) take a day off work, and have the spay done in the week, just incase a return trip to the vet is needed. Chat to your vet about how long he feels the cat needs to be supervised.

Concerning the indoor/outdoor thing. I prefer to have a cat flap and give my cats freedom (except in the summer, when I don't let Polly out in the day cos of her white nose!). But you'll find many different opinions concerning that. If you live on a quiet road and have nice neighbours, let the cat be a cat.

Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 13:39:31 PM »
I know how you feel about any surgical procedure (I was the same when Blip had three teeth out, and when I myself had surgery last year, for that matter!) but modern anaesthetics are very safe and as you say, spaying is routine.

Why not try to have her operation on the Thursday, then you can have Friday off for peace of mind followed by the weekend with her?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Déborah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 13:21:31 PM »
She got her first heat when she was 4 1/2 months, no I didn't get her birthdate mixed up, she was born on September 1st. So she must be precocious. I was a bit upset when she got her first heat, because I was really hoping to get her spayed before they started.

She is going to get spayed as soon as she's 6 months old, the vet refuses to do it before that (she's also a fairly small cat). Hopefully this was her last heat (she'll be spayed in a bit less than two weeks, I need to set the date)

No, of course she's not going out. That's a whole new can of worm as my partner wants her to be an indoor cat (he worries about her too!) and I'm split on this. We're in a safe area, but if something happens to her, well, I don't know what I'll do, but I also think it's unfair not to let her experience the outdoor. Gaaah! Decisions! I'm contemplating a harness and see how she reacts.

Btw, what day is best for a spay: a friday so we're with her the whole week-end (but what if something happens?) or should I take a day off (which can be easily done) and get her spayed the day before?

I also have to say that I am terrified about her getting spayed. I know this operation is carried out all the time and that it's safe, but I keep worrying about her not waking up from the general anaesthetic or something. I know it's very silly but I really can't help myself. I'm upset just thinking about it now!  :(

Sorry for sounding a bit miffed at the begining of the post, but I felt a bit patronised  :scared:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 12:17:12 PM »
If she's in heat already, maybe you have her birthdate mixed up, or she's precocious. Either way, get her done soon, and make sure she doesn't get out.
Also, some breeders, if they're not mating a queen during a heat, stimulate ovulation to prevent ovarian cancer. But as you'll be having her ovaries removed soon, this shouldn't matter.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Déborah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 16:52:34 PM »
the vet won't spay her until she's 6 months old, so she's got a couple of weeks to wait.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 16:44:04 PM »

Poor wee mite is in heat right now, and it breaks my heart to see her look so uncomfortable! Do you know if there's anything I can do to relieve her?

Yes, get her spayed !!

When is she booked into be done ?

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007, 19:51:29 PM »
i got mango when she was 16 wk as she is pedigree and she does this all the time when on the bed or on my knee

i think its when there happy and contenet

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
  • Sam - missing since 29th August 2007 xx
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 17:46:33 PM »
I wish Sam would do it, all my other cats have done but for some reason he doesnt and I wonder if he is happy? 

Doc sounds ace btw, I would love to see him doing his 'dance'  :Luv:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 10:16:01 AM »
Mark, don't be too spooked by your experience, unpleasant as it was. Purring has many functions for a cat, one of them is self-comfort. Queens do it while giving birth, presumably to ease the pain. Purring doesn't always indicate pleasure, but comfort.

I've had very little experience with kittens, but I know that this kneading and suckling behaviour is common in maternally deprived young cats. In a way, the paddling that all cats do on their owner's laps is just a variation of this. Unless the cat is coming to any harm, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Offline Déborah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 10:08:40 AM »
Thanks folk!

So I was worrying as usual for nothing  ;D

Poor wee mite is in heat right now, and it breaks my heart to see her look so uncomfortable! Do you know if there's anything I can do to relieve her? I try to distract her with toys, but it doesn't always work...

Offline lizfraser

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Arthur and Dottie Dillon (Feb 1998 - 18/12/12 RIP),Tom (RIP 12/11/12), Digby (Feb 1998-17/11/10 RIP)
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 17:45:20 PM »
Both my 9 yr old boys Digby and Dillon still knead, and Digby will suckle until my clothing is wet - especially my towelling dressing-gown.:drool; :drool;  It's only ever on me though - guess my OH and the kids are too fidgety for the cats to completely relax on them.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 15:12:47 PM »
Jess kneeds all the time I put a cushion on my lap now as it can be a bit painful on my legs, he also kneeds when I have my dressing gown on he seems to love it. I read somewhere that it means they are happy and content, I hope Jess doesn't stop doing it as I quite like knowing his happy  :Luv:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 14:04:50 PM »
I don't think it's necessarily due to being taken from mum too young as Mosi does it and he was with mum until 14 weeks!  I think it's more a case of them regressing to kittenhood when they're with us - we remind them of when they were with mum and it triggers the kneading action which they did to get milk from mum. 

Offline Lisa

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 14:01:52 PM »
My Cleo, when i got her at around 8 weeks used to suckle. she would pin me down, purring he head off and sucking my clothes so much i would have big wet patches.  :rofl:
And she is now nearly 12 and is still doing it  :rofl: i've asked the vet ages ago and he just said it was a comfort/ way of showing affection thing.
So just to warn your Mia my not necessarily grow out of it!!  ;)
But i certainly wouldnt worry about it

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 13:55:50 PM »
Oh Mark that is sad, and quite eerie.

Doc is ALWAYS paddling but not suckling. He paddles everything whenever he is happy, which is alot. Quite often he is standing up, paddling the floor/mid air like a little dance   :rofl:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 13:20:27 PM »
I used to think it was when they were taken from mum too early but all mine do it. Clapton the most, it can be painful if you are only wearing a t-shirt!. Kylie only does it when I go to bed and she joins me. I always have a worn jumper on the bed and she goes straight to it and starts "feeding" for a few minutes. So I think it is a sign of contentment. As for purring, that's a different story. When I was about 10, a poor kitty got run over and it's leg was hanging off - we stayed with it until a policeman came and took it. I don't remember much about that day (around 1972) but it has haunted me that the cat was purring loudly even though it was dying  :'(. Sorry about this but it was probably the most upsetting thing ever. I have seen  people die and it didn't bother me as much -maybe because they were clean (heart attack) deaths, or maybe I think more of animals than people?

PS - SHE IS GORGEOUS! (sorry to lower the tone of the thread)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 12:54:35 PM »
Awwwww... shes beautiful  :)

Cheese used to do this at first to whatever i was wearing when she was sat on my lap, she did grow out of it after a while though. She was probably too young AND was also ill when I got her. They just wanted to get rid  :(
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Déborah

• Adult Cat
kneading and suckling...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 12:47:26 PM »
Hiya everyone,

this might be a very silly question, but here goes:
My Mia (5 1/2 months old) very often kneads a blanket that I have. At the same time she suckles on the blanket, close her eyes and purrs loudly. Now, I keep reading that cats do that when they are very happy or in a comfy place, but i also know it is linked to their being taken from their mother too young ( I had Mia when she was 7 weeks old. I know better now).

So my point is that I'm worried she does that because she feels anxious or something, and is trying to comfort herself. I have no reason to believe that other than my guilt at getting her too young, but I can't help wondering.

So, am I being silly? Is she just happy? I am a worrier and prone to guilt, so I suspect this is where that is all coming from ;D, but I thought I'd ask anyway...

Here are some pics of the little minx:

http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p182/Melisande_00/?action=view&current=Mia_jan07005.jpg
http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p182/Melisande_00/?action=view&current=Mia_jan07014.jpg

Cheers!  :Luv:

Link to CatChat