Author Topic: Taking his eye off the ball  (Read 2172 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: Taking his eye off the ball
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 10:05:24 AM »
This happened regularly at one time with a cat who would come into kitchen, eat cat food and wee on the washing machine! I have a four-way lockable cat flap and locked it so that he could come in, but not get out. I also had saucepan of cold water standing by. Cat came in, couldn't get out, rumpus ensued. I went into kitchen, spoke nicely to it and opened the back door (saucepan in other hand). As soon as the cat was going through the door, I drenched him.
It was the height of summer, so I wasn't concerned about the consequences to him. I wouldn't recommend this action in cold weather.
It worked.
He realised that coming here wasn't such a good idea! :sneaky:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 17:00:44 PM »
I would block the flap up completely, it will make Hugh feel much better (or so my cat behaviour book says!) Its like you leaving the frontdoor open, you wouldnt be able to sleep, just incase somebody wanders in for a look in your fridge!

If you ever see the intruder then a squirt of water from a watergun will soon tell it where to go!

Offline Hooster

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 16:47:06 PM »
Its a greedy Neighbour, in good condition (thanks to me partly) and a nice shiny collar. Its been about before and a year ago got stuck in the kitchen and pulled the old cat flap clean off the door to get out!

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 16:39:45 PM »
Is there perhaps somewhere more secure to put Hugh's food just while the works are going on?

Another thought occurs - do you know who the intruder is? No chance s/he might be a stray, is there? Or is s/he just a greedy neighbour?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Hooster

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 16:29:41 PM »
yeah we have the diffuser, and hes pretty much ok in the evenings when getting spoilt.
Im hoping that when he gets out and about with out distraction he will re-establish himself.
Saying that how do we know this hasnt been going on for ages!!

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 16:24:12 PM »
We had a similar problem. While we were at home, we let Blip in and out ourselves (our layout means that this is not a hardship and that may not be the case for you?) and our intruder got out of the intruding habit, more or less.

In terms of general reassurance for Hugh, have you tried Feliway? We use a diffuser; others on here use the room spray.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Hooster

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 15:51:35 PM »
Happens both when we are at work, and when we are at home.
We have a magnetic catflap , but had to tape it up as we were going through magnets at the rate of one a week(and at £7 each thats too much) . Funnily enough since we moved to an ordinary collar 6 months ago he hasnt lost any......

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 15:46:58 PM »
Are you at home when the intrusions happen or is it while you are out at work or whatever?

Offline Lisa

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 15:34:20 PM »
What sort of cat flap does Hugh have?

Offline Hooster

• Kitten
Taking his eye off the ball
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 12:33:15 PM »
Hugh seems to have taken his eye of the ball a bit recently. :( We now have a visitor coming into the kitchen and eating his food, while he lies upstairs in the safety of the duvet.
There has been building work going on at the house for a few months now and its obviously stressful for him with the noise and strangers etc. Is there anything I can do to stop the vistor coming in, and more so build Hughs confidence back up so he will reclaim his once gloriously guarded territory?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 12:34:56 PM by Hooster »

Link to CatChat