Author Topic: safest anti-inflammatory for CRF cats?  (Read 2164 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: safest anti-inflammatory for CRF cats?
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 00:05:33 AM »

Mark, I'm hugely impressed by the way you test the side effects of pain killers. Think a glass of red may be just the ticket to test how tired i am tonight too  ;)

I am hoping my tastebuds are back to normal as I couldn't go out to get any wine today (due to not being able to walk  :evillaugh: ) so the only available bottles are gluwein and the bottle of Chateuneuf du pape that I was saving foe xmas day. I enjoy my red bedtime drink so lets hope it isn't wasted.

Sorry - back to topic - I notice he says cats shouldn't be given metacam more than 2 or 3 times a week. maybe the way my vet suggested with Alice, although she seems fine at the moment. To give it for 2 or 3 days at a time them stop for a few days until it looks as if they need another few days on it. I forget the term she used.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 07:29:54 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 19:46:59 PM »
I think a certain amount of exercise would help Max, but he has other ideas. He's younger and healthier than Swampy but he sleeps way more. I'm sure the joints stiffen up from lack of use too! I'll have to take him up the mezz stairs and make him walk down or something.... When Swampy was well, they used to go down in the common area hallway (when I was sure the cat-hating vamp downstairs was out) to look at a dragon statue thing on the landing. But Max is mega lazy (know the feeling mind you). He complains when I get up to Swampy in the night, sort of miaow "you're disturbing my sleep"!

Mark, I'm hugely impressed by the way you test the side effects of pain killers. Think a glass of red may be just the ticket to test how tired i am tonight too  ;)

Having read that though, I'm def going to wait for my usual vet to get back. It's just too risky as Max has kidney issues and tum issues but is doing well at the mo'. I would find 2 unwell cats really hard.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 19:23:52 PM »
Metacam isnt great for kidneys but if thats whats available i would use it, better a short life with easy movement than a longer stiff one  :shy:
Lola will no doubt make this decision for me later in her life, her hips are certain to have problems  :(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 18:15:41 PM »
I have picked up quite a bit from it. It explains about opiate narcotics at the bottom which explains what happened the other day after I came back from hospital. I had a glass of coke and said it tasted funny - more like soda water that coke. Leter that evening, I opened a new bottle of wine and it tasted really foul and bitter. I sid to OH that it was on offer in Lidl for £2.50. On Saturday, Dennis bought me a bottle of Hardy's. That evening, I tasted the Lidl one again and said it still tasted foul. I emptied it down the sink and opened the Hardy's - that also tasted foul  :Crazy: - anyway, roundabout way of saying that it must have been whatever painkiller I was given for the op that affected my taste buds.

It is also quite probable that the Lidl wine was foul as well  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 18:01:21 PM »
Pleased this has popped up again cos want to put Marks link into our health links cos its really good  ;D

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 17:58:31 PM »
Both Byron and Schui had Metacam but it makes Byron sick and Schui is to avoid it now he has CRF so I too am interested in alternative treatments.  We need to lift Byron on the sofa now as she can only get on by digging her claws in (not good)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 14:35:00 PM »
Just wondering if a heated bed might help mobility. It seems to have helped Alice and there are no side-effects!  :)

No painkiller is good as a long-term treatment I would imagine.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 15:10:42 PM by Mark »

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 11:06:36 AM »
thanks Mark, that's helpful. I always get very nervous when reading all the side effects, but I think I'll try to see how Max goes until the usual vet comes back, then do some blood tests and see how bad his kidneys and liver are before getting any NSAIDs for him. We've been putting them off as Max is fat (CRF cats tend to lose weight and he's gained a bit) and happy and he is vet phobic. But he's due them in early Jan. Reading the link, it's interesting as it doesn't mention the side effects of Torbugesic (nearly killed Swampy: caused acute liver failure). But the morphine painkiller may work for Max. I have to try to get him moving a bit more, to mobilise his joints. He sleeps a tremendous amount and thinks exercise is what you do when you're looking for food in the kitchen! He limps less when he's been up longer. But I play with him with da Bird and he lies down and waves his feet in the air at it  :P to me.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 10:50:24 AM »
I came across this. There is a lot to read but it may be useful http://www.2ndchance.info/pain.htm

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 22:09:29 PM »
Avoid metacam if they are kidney issues, I dont know the cost of that but there is a very expensive painkiller that was used with Franta called Temgesic, it does have another name too I think. cos Franta only has one working kidney.

It comes in a liquid form too that can be syringed into their mouths too.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 21:55:12 PM »
I don't know any specific drugs but do know NSAIDS need to be avoided when cats are on ACE inhibitors (like Metacam)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
safest anti-inflammatory for CRF cats?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 21:45:02 PM »
Max is 15 and is limping more than usual from his arthritis as the cold weather makes him sleep more, then when he gets up and walks, his limp is bad. His kidneys aren't too good (bloods due Jan). The vet mentioned giving him an anti inflammatory. I would normally just trust my vet, but he is away and if Max goes on like this he will have to see one of the locum vets. The cosequin he's on isn't helping that much.

Which is the safest, most effective injection given for arthritis with CRF cats please? Are there any to definitely avoid (metacam?). thanks.

Link to CatChat