Author Topic: Full moon madness?  (Read 2326 times)

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
Re: Full moon madness?
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 09:34:43 AM »
Normality was restored last night  :yayyy: Just the usual jumping in the kitchen bin for scraps and playing with his toy mouse on the bed at 2am, so a peaceful night  :evillaugh:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 01:07:21 AM »
Tonight its Misa who is seeing something to chase in every corner!

Offline psychopunk

• Adult Cat
  • pipsqueak & cuscus (not in the picture)
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2008, 00:12:33 AM »
I have two panting galloping monsters tonight  :Crazy:  They run up and down the stairs, around the christmas tree, they knock things over. Notning gets spared. At least now I know why!

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2008, 22:21:50 PM »
Freddie's been full of mischief all this evening  :-:  Er, think I should let him know he's running late  :naughty:

Mosi too!  He's been running around and throwing himself at the door frames  :rofl:

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2008, 22:10:46 PM »
The extra food hasn't worked, he's on the scrounge as per usual and has just woken up, back into full nuisance mode  :tired:

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 21:54:40 PM »
Last night Misha wailed *all* night

Indy settled like a dream til 1 am (when moon hits my bedroom window and lights up like daylight when full) when he decided crooning in my ear until I let him under covers was a good idea

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 21:06:01 PM »
Freddie's been full of mischief all this evening  :-:  Er, think I should let him know he's running late  :naughty:

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 18:35:23 PM »
I've got a game plan tonight, Dave is getting a double dinner serving, hopefully he'll be so full he'll need to sleep it off all night  :shify:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 18:26:00 PM »
Memphs was tearing around the house last night ... nothing unusual there  :evillaugh:

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 17:46:03 PM »
This is strange cos last night Franta was tearing from one end of the house to another, in and out of the flap and then running like a maniac.....he is not normally anything but a lounger!

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 15:26:01 PM »

We had a weird night, too, with Mr T wailing for no reason.  I found this (below) of interest - posted the link as a sort of verification  :briggin:

According to the latest research, it's not werewolves running amok during full moons—it’s cats and dogs. The new study suggests that pets get into more mischief and are injured more often during certain phases of the lunar cycle, particularly when the moon is fullest.The study, authored by Raegan Wells, DVM, and her colleagues at Colorado State University's College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, revealed a link between an increase in emergency room visits for dogs and cats during days when the moon is at or near its fullest.Wells said this is the first time the lunar cycle's relationship to emergency veterinary medicine has been studied. The study, titled "Canine and feline emergency room visits and the lunar cycle,” appears in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.The data, compiled from case histories of 11,940 dogs and cats treated at the university's Veterinary Medical Center, indicates that the risk of emergencies on fuller moon days was 23 percent greater in cats and 28 percent greater in dogs when compared with other days.

The types of emergencies ranged from cardiac arrest to epileptic seizures and trauma, and the increase was most pronounced during the moon's three fullest stages—waxing gibbous, full and waning gibbous."If you talk to any person, from kennel help, nurse, front-desk person to doctor, you frequently hear the comment on a busy night, 'Gee is it a full moon?'" said Wells.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/viewnews.php?id=104052

And apparently the moon is closer to the Earth at the moment than it has been for the last 15 years ....  What ELSE do our  cats know that we dont ?!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/sci/tech/7779294.stm
People Power Works!!!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 14:36:17 PM »
As you've already noticed, I suffered here horribly, there was no calming Dave at all, I even tried cuddling him and talking to him soothingly at my lowest point, nope, the second I let him go he was off again. Whe I say my flat was trashed I am not exaggerating, lamps knocked off shelves, clothes horse pulled over, boxes waiting for the bin knocked off the kitchen counter, curtains climbed, bathroom bin knocked over, wardrobe dug around in....................Not to mention the number of times he did full speed circuits of the flat which included bouncing off me while asleep  :tired:

A very un-fun night for me.

Sounds like Riley and Dave were in the same frame of mind  :tired:  Riley was literally throwing himself at the back door at 1:30 am, they're never allowed out after dark and normally Riley never 'asks' to go out he'll just go if I open the door but last night I actually thought he was going to hurt himself.  He wouldn't be cuddled either, he'd struggle to get down before racing off to do another circuit of destruction  :tired:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 14:33:01 PM »
I think you need Lesley's tree cage, on a slightly larger scale ... Sorry you got no sleep Dancer, but at least it is saturday... :hug:

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 14:30:43 PM »
As you've already noticed, I suffered here horribly, there was no calming Dave at all, I even tried cuddling him and talking to him soothingly at my lowest point, nope, the second I let him go he was off again. Whe I say my flat was trashed I am not exaggerating, lamps knocked off shelves, clothes horse pulled over, boxes waiting for the bin knocked off the kitchen counter, curtains climbed, bathroom bin knocked over, wardrobe dug around in....................Not to mention the number of times he did full speed circuits of the flat which included bouncing off me while asleep  :tired:

A very un-fun night for me.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 13:52:34 PM »
 :tired: yes. Lexy would not settle last night. At all.. she's fast asleep on my feet right now.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 13:47:11 PM »
I heard a programme saying the moon is in its closest orbit at present (it moves in a slight ellipse so is closer some times than others). Perhaps that explains it. I have had very peaceful nights here as the dog is allowed on the bed at present cos of the cold, and Smidgen concluded he is a better bedmate than me so curls up with him instead of attacking my toes under the duvet ...

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Full moon madness?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 13:44:29 PM »
Riley was a beast last night, tearing up and down the stairs at frightening speeds, wailing his head off, bouncing off the walls, burrowing in places he shouldn't be and then during the night knocking various things over in the bedroom.  I saw on the TV news that there was supposedly the 'best' full moon for ages and wondered if that was why he was acting so crazy.

Saw this in another thread about Dave...

After last night and this morning it has been Baby please, chill out (in a very tired, pleading voice). Dave had full blown full moon madness last night and this morning, my flat is completely trashed this morning  :tired:

Lu was, as always, an angel but did anyone else experience full moon madness?

Link to CatChat