Author Topic: Colitis, trays, and poo where it shouldn't be...  (Read 2223 times)

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
Re: Colitis, trays, and poo where it shouldn't be...
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 20:56:46 PM »
Thanks sheryl, interesting that Bengals are prone to it.

Have ordered some Lacto B and will hunt down some foodstuffs at the weekend. We may as well try some bottled water (or rainwater - her favourite) as well.

We came home to find the bathroom mat has been her latest victim, but at least she's much better this evening.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 14:54:09 PM »
It is quite a common problem in Benglas and I had the problem with 2 of mine.  I am glad to say that they are both cured now but not with any help from the vets.

The only things that worked was putting them on a completely grain and wheat free diet (Orijen Dry and Bozita wet) and they never have tap water.  I also used Lacto B when the problem was at its worst which really helped.

Good luck and I hope your little one is better soon x
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 14:02:29 PM »
Will she eat plain cooked chicken? I wonder if she'd like Nature's Harvest - although its not a gravy food, more a pate style, it comes in chicken and salmon varieties and is a high meat content, no cereal/grain food. I get it from PAH.
She will sometimes eat plain cooked chicken, but not a meal sized amount even if she's starving.  Nature's Harvest is another one I don't think we've tried, so I'll add it to the list.

Don't forget, if you try a different food to change it gradually...

Thanks, we'll do that - we'll give her a taster to figure out if she likes it first, otherwise she leaves the lot!

We spoke to the vet, he's a bit mystified as to why it hasn't settled and has prescribed another two week course of antibiotics...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 14:05:00 PM by Baggy »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 13:21:29 PM »
Mark, she is addicted to Gourmet Pearl at the moment - she is a gravy fiend, usually she switches foods about twice per month, but has been eating it solidly for over two months now.  I think it could be part of the problem as it's so high in soya protein.  She's refused plain white fish, Almo Nature and Nature's Menu recently.

We've never tried RC pouches but the vet sells it - we'll track some down some Orijen and Eagle Pack.

Yes, soya protein isnt good for cats - why the hec they put in cat food is beyond me  >:(  Will she eat plain cooked chicken? I wonder if she'd like Nature's Harvest - although its not a gravy food, more a pate style, it comes in chicken and salmon varieties and is a high meat content, no cereal/grain food. I get it from PAH. Don't forget, if you try a different food to change it gradually, by just adding a teeny bit to the regular food and slowly increasing new food while decreasing regular food.

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 12:36:34 PM »
Thanks both.

Heh, I've just tried a search on Purrs for "colitis" and it's only come up with three results - so it must officially be an unusual condition in cats.  :evillaugh:

Mark, she is addicted to Gourmet Pearl at the moment - she is a gravy fiend, usually she switches foods about twice per month, but has been eating it solidly for over two months now.  I think it could be part of the problem as it's so high in soya protein.  She's refused plain white fish, Almo Nature and Nature's Menu recently.

We've never tried RC pouches but the vet sells it - we'll track some down some Orijen and Eagle Pack.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 11:29:09 AM »
Poor little girl  :(

What does she eat? - I think some of the sensitive diets are excellent. RC Sensible 33 helped Willow a lot, failing that they do 2 different prescription sensives foods (no prescription needed though  :Crazy: ) I think they are a lot blander.

Also Eagle Pack holistic is supposed to be good for runny bums. Orijen has no cereal to cause upsets and also has Psyllium husk for bulking.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 11:26:20 AM »
No idea I'm afraid, just wanted to send a :care: to Dinah and a :hug: to you.  Hope the vet can suggest something.

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 11:19:51 AM »
Things did not improve last week, so Dinah went off to see the vet.  He gave her a thorough examination and good news is that there doesn't seem to be any sinister underlying cause, it's just colitis, which is unusual in cats apparently.

She had a course of antibiotics and is on a low dose of steroids to control the bowel inflammation.  Things improved rapidly after the vet visit, but she's had another attack this morning  :'(

As soon as I went in the spare room she shot in and was trying to poo on the boards, and then went on a tour of the garden and trays, straining and straining, to no avail (but cue messy trousers...).  She was settled on the bed when I left for work.  Am going to call the vet and see if there is anything more they can suggest.

We should probably try changing her diet, but as she's so fussy that might not be an option (until she changes it herself).  I just feel so bad for her, it must be incredibly uncomfortable.

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 13:06:29 PM »
Thanks, I went with a).  No deposits (that we can find!), but no overnight offerings in either tray.  Hopefully I'll get home to find all is back to normal...she looks a bit sad today though  :-:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 23:26:09 PM »
Poor Dinah :care:  I think I'd go with A and if she doesn't seem to use it then move it to C.  Hope she's feeling better soon and you get no more deposits!

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
Colitis, trays, and poo where it shouldn't be...
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 20:07:10 PM »
Dinah had a bout of colitis about 8 weeks ago (straining to poo when she doesn't need to, dribbly trousers, landing on my pillow with a cling-on at 4am  :sick: etc).  Vet didn't have much more advice at the time other than to see how things went, and she recovered within a day or so.

She's now having another bout, not quite so bad and is managing to pass thin poo.  We've upped her Peridale (stool bulking agent) and hopefully she'll be ok tomorrow.  Trouble is, she's twice had a poo on the bare boards in the spare bedroom, and once downstairs. 

I suspect she's associating her current tray with feeling uncomfortable, or perhaps can't quite get into a comfortable position in her tray.  She's had the same tray and litter for years and is usually fastidious about toileting. She's still weeing in her tray.

We have a larger, wider tray that I want to try to see if she's more comfortable - but I don't know whether to:

a) Put it next to her existing tray and see if she uses it
b) Put it in the spare room (I'd rather not, there's not really a handy corner for it)
c) Put it downstairs in the corner she had a poo.

Any ideas/suggestions?

If there's no improvement she will of course go back to the vet...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 20:08:16 PM by Baggy »

Link to CatChat