Author Topic: Beavis is refusing to eat.  (Read 7729 times)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Re: Beavis is refusing to eat.
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2008, 15:22:01 PM »
hope the tray is nice and full by tonight. So pleased Beavis is better. Watch your clothes or blanket (whatever he's sitting on when you give it, if you have to) with the lactulose - it's a bit superglue like but despite that, they can manage to spit it quite a distance  :wow: I squirt it in little bits,not the whole 1ml at once or out it comes on to everything. I now give it to Max with a wadge of paper towel handy. But I don't think they really mind the taste, it's more the indignity!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2008, 13:37:09 PM »
He was eating everything in sight cos of the vaqlium so it then should go back to normal

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2008, 13:13:26 PM »
Brilliant news

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2008, 09:40:58 AM »
He responds well to Beavy boy!! ;)

His eating has taile off abit today , ie he is back to normal rather that tryong to eat everything in sight! I will be keeping a close eye on the litter tray an  if there are no 'number twos' by this evening I shall be getting the lactulose out.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2008, 23:58:30 PM »
Woo Hoo - Go Beavy boy  :wow:  It comes to something when you have nicknames for cats you've never met - defo crazy cat lady syndrome setting in  :evillaugh:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2008, 19:59:22 PM »
Great news  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2008, 19:43:44 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:

Way to go Beavis!!!!!!  :cheer:

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2008, 17:35:06 PM »
Well today its like a have a different cat! He is eating anything we give him and even chased Jerry away from his breakfast this morning. He is certainly NOT constipated anymore (in fact a touch the other way - he had to have his trousers washed this morning!) and is being so affectionate and loving. He even had a  bat of the feather toy which is almost unheard of!

Cant tell you all gow releived I am. :)

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2008, 22:44:54 PM »
Memphis is on Lax a past at the moment. He got all blocked up with constipation during his bladder problems (unfortunately though this food keeps causing constipation with him so it's a bit of an ongoing problem). We definitely feel for little Beavis  :hug: :hug:

Fingers crossed he gets back to normal asap  :hug:

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2008, 22:35:41 PM »
Thanks peeps. He is still eating reasonably well , and I think he has used the litter tray again. He is still a bit wobbly on his paws tho. :scared:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2008, 21:16:32 PM »
I'd suggest getting a 1ml syringe (thin one with as long a nozzle as possible) for the lactulose - and stand by with tissue when you give it to him as if he spits it, it is so sticky. You might like to ask your vet what dose to start on for Beavis as he's been so blocked. I think here we started on 1ml and if it didn't work, upped it to 1.5ml (and FatMax got 2mls at one stage) but it depends on what he weighs and how blocked his tum is. I found they tolerate it far better than any other laxative muck. all the best for Beavis to feel much better soon  :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2008, 19:03:15 PM »
Fingers crossed for him.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2008, 19:01:33 PM »
You can get lactulose at the chemist Kirst. Glad he's eating better, little and often sounds good.  :hug:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2008, 17:46:48 PM »
I dont have any lactualose - where can I get it if need be?? Little man is all couche out on the beanbag tonight. He is showing much more interest in food now but he is getting little and often , I dont want him tol be sick again.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2008, 14:55:25 PM »
yes the valium will make him groggy for a bit. Hopefully now his tum isn't blocked, he'll eat ok but you may need to keep at it with lactulose for a few days until you find all's back to normal. I'm sorry that Beavis has had such a difficult time. It's amazing how constipation can make them ill. Hopefully it was just that  :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2008, 14:39:57 PM »
Hopefully the constipation was the problem and now he's all cleared out  :sick: he will feel so much better and start to eat properly  :hug:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2008, 13:37:25 PM »
valium sends me to sleep so I would imagine it has a similar effect on cats. Next time (heaven forbid) this happens, try filming him when he is infirm so that the vet knows what you are describing ... :hug:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2008, 13:31:29 PM »
Nightmare of a morning!! Beavis ate a bit of Hills and basically almost passed out. He was all hunched up , obviously in pain so we went straight off to the emergency vets. By the time we were seen he had brightened up a bit but was still feeling very sorry for himself. At the vets he had bloods done while we waited an the good news is they were all clear , for his age his liver and kidneys are in very good shape. He was however very constipated. I say was because he had some liquid parafin and a suppository and lets just say he embarrased himself in his basket while we were paying the bill. :-[

He has also had a general antibiotic just in case but his temperature is still normal. He has also had half a valium to help him want to eat and just now he has had a bit of fishy pate hi-life. We also got some more Hills recovery for him.

Can valium make them a bit wobbly as he looks a bit stoned?? He felt well enough at the vets to have a good growl at a couple of HUGE alsations while we waited for the blood tests , but heartbreaking two dogs went into the surgery an only one came out. :'(

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2008, 09:14:53 AM »
Chicken would be better than turkey mince, and might be more appealing to them. Fingers crossed they ate the Hills food
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2008, 08:46:04 AM »
What a worry!  Hope they are both feeling better this morning and managed to eat something last night  :hug:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2008, 21:02:18 PM »
Well we have finally found something Beavis wants to eat - Cadburys Dairy milk. :tired: I had some melted on my finger and he LOVED it. But as it is bad for him he got one lick and thats his lot. He also had a lick of Mr Kirsts yogurt lid (probiotic so may help) Turne his nose right up at the Hills but I am so please he even attempted to lick. He is more lively this evening , has been heabutting me and biting my toes. I know it sounds awful but I am almost Gizzy is showing the same symptoms as it makes it clearer this is a tummy problem and one had probably caught it from another. Obviously I wish neither of them were poorly. :'(

Will try them both with the Hill at bedtime.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2008, 20:53:53 PM »
Hope they are  both feeling better by now.  Have you got any RC Sensitive?   My vet always said to give my Dragan(RIP) that if his tummy was a bit off.  :hug:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2008, 20:23:52 PM »
Yep, Hill's recovery is virtually the same as the a/d but may be milder on the tummy.  When cats feel ill, it's a vicious circle as they won't eat which in turn makes them weaker and getting them to eat is harder  :(, I would try and get some down them both and hopefully it will make them feel more inclined to eat or at least feel better in themselves  :hug:  :hug:

Kirst, if you want my home number I can send it via pm or alternatively you can send me yours  :hug:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2008, 19:39:11 PM »
He is having the fluids (reluctantly). I have found some hills recovery food that we had after the kittens were neutered , if all else fails can I try him with some of that?

Gizzy doesnt want to eat either :(
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 19:56:27 PM by Kirst »

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2008, 18:24:54 PM »
You may be better blending them otherwise I doubt you'd get it through a syringe, I would warm them as well and it may be a little more tempting for him.  The main thing at the moment is he gets fluids down him but obviously you don't want him going too long without food.  It may take a while for the meds to kick in but if you are worried, I would phone the emergency vets up  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2008, 18:16:21 PM »
Gizzy seems brighter , but am really worrie about Beavy - he has been taking the water and powder ok but he's not a happy cat.It really oeant help that he is a finnicky eater at the best of times. I have some pilchards to try him with tonight , if all else fails I am thinking of mashing them an mixing with a little water and trying to syringe feed him?? An advice is very very welcome. :'(

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2008, 18:13:07 PM »
Mentioned the Ad but apparently might not be good on sore tums.

And yet it's a convalescing food so I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem   :shy:  Fingers crossed they both improve soon,  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2008, 11:58:05 AM »
We are back form the vets - Beavis and Giz both have sore tummies. A iet of bland food has been perscribed , so off to the suoermarket to get some coley and turkey mince.

Beavis also has some Bio-Lapis power to be mixed with water and syringe fed every hour. Both have also has a shot of cortison.

Mentioned the Ad but apparently might not be good on sore tums.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2008, 11:36:11 AM »
If they are being sick then I would suggest Coley  (you can buy it in the freezer section of most supermarkets).  Put in a microwavable dish with about 2 inches of water.  cover with cling film.  Microwave for on full power for 2½ to 3 mins.  Allow to cool (but still serve warm) and add plenty of the juice.  This will give them something tasty to eat (that isn't too rich) and they will get the fluids they need s well.   :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2008, 10:21:31 AM »
hope it goes well. a/d should hopefully do the trick until he feels like something else  :hug: 

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2008, 09:55:59 AM »
I think I will. They are both booke in for 11.10am.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2008, 09:30:00 AM »
Fingers crossed for them both today, but I would be tempted to ask for some a/d
Please spay your cat

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2008, 08:24:41 AM »
Well he didnt eat a thing last night , or use his try but this morning he ha had a few Thrive treats (chicken) and been for a wee. so guiess where we are going this morning!

Gizzy was sick everywhere again after his inner , and again after his breakfast so he's going too. Both are perky enough in themsleves , Gizzy is desperate to go outside (not allowed until we have been to the vets) and Beavis is taking his frustrations out on the scratching post.

Dawn , we has some hills when Oscar was poorly and Beavis was always desperate to eat it. I think the problem is he wants something to eat but he knows he will be sick so wont eat. Gizzy is just so greedy he will eat regardless! :tired:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2008, 06:13:18 AM »
Hope Beavis ate his food overnight and is feeling better.  :hug:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 00:03:56 AM »
One of my cats had Hypothyroid and he'd got a tumour on his Oesophagus, when his health was deteriorating I couldn't get him to eat and he was losing so much weight, my vet suggested giving him some liver pate and he absolutely loved it and it did get him eating small quantities again.  If Beavis still refuses to eat, it may be worth getting some Hills a/d from the vets and seeing if you can syringe feed him with it, it is palatable and most cats do like it.  I've had a few on this over the years and it's been a life saver on occasion.  Fingers crossed he'll soon get his appetite back,  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 23:27:18 PM »
Hope he does eat something tonight.  :hug: Are you going to leave wet food down or dry? I remember when I needed to check if one had eaten anything through the night - counting out each kibble, and then counting in the morning to see if any had been eaten LOL!

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 22:32:15 PM »
Well I heated up some stinky prawn whiskas but no joy yet. Gizzy ate some fish but has brought it back up again so I am definitely thinking tummy upsets. Forgot to say the vet also felt a soft furball in Beavis' tummy so thats probably making him even less willing to eat.

He is going to the loo and drinking so we shall see what happens tonight but I think he is going back to see Mr Jackson tomorrrow. Gizzy too if he doesnt pick up.

Edited to say: Giz has just eaten half a pouch so thats one good thing.

I have put Beavis in the spare room with his litter tray , some food and water for the night as I want to see if he eats anything and also I dont want the youngsters to stress him out if he is feeling poorly. (they are quite frisky at night as a rule)

Hopefully he will eat during the night. :(

« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 22:51:33 PM by Kirst »

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 22:22:44 PM »
How about tempting him with something yummy, Lynn always recommended Sardines/Pilchards in tomato sauce to kickstart a poor appetite.

My vet's favourite recommendation too. If you haven't got that (corner shops often do the little rectangular tins of it) then something stinky and maybe slightly warmed up? I hope he eats, it's just awful when they won't and you aren't sure why. I'm sure you are right about the stress though as they just don't eat at all when stressed do they?

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 19:15:06 PM »
I assume vet couldn't find any probs with his mouth then?

No his teeth are fine. We didn't realize that Gizzy was off colour until we got back from the vets and he refused his lunch and some temptations. He at least has lots of body weight to keep him going but Beavis is so skinny he really cant lose any more. I have some fish for him tonight , I am hoping him and Gizzy will eat a bit later.

I am also thinking of seperating Beavis and the kittens overnight so I know what Beavis has eaten - but I dont want to stress him out! Oh I do wish they could talk!  :'(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 19:09:42 PM »
Afraid B12 injection didnt help Franta to eat at all and as you will know i tried evrything.

He was in the vets and had a valium injection which causes them to eat and he had that twice but still no good. although he ate at the vets. The first time they gave him too much valium and he ate everytging in sight and was ill from both ends, the second time they gave not enough and had to give him some more but I was there that time and he ate some ad but not am awful lot. It still didnt kick start his appetite.

His eating has come baclk gradually but only started to kick in better after 1/2 teaspoon of condensed milk thinned to water with warm water.......that was the desperation act cos I wasnt getting anywhere with him.

After that he started to lick his jelly more and eat biscuits and although he has never eaten a lot, I think he is probably eating about what he used to know and is shoutiing for his food agin.

What did the vet say to do if he still doesnt eat?

My vet was very very concerned about Franta and they would have had him back to stay if he didnt start eating. I think with Franta he was over the top stressed by the op and being left their and its taken over a month for things to be nearly normal again.

have you tried fish and chicken with Beavis or wont he eat these normally like Franta?

Any thing he eats is better than nothing, so keep trying  :hug: :hug:

Link to CatChat