Author Topic: A bit of advice about rehoming,rescue and fostering....PIC NOW ATTACHED  (Read 6275 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: A bit of advice about rehoming,rescue and fostering....PIC NOW ATTACHED
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2007, 14:23:22 PM »
- sadly a lot of people will pay a lot of money for a pet and then not look after it that well

I agree, whatever amount of money is paid for a cat it does not guarantee a good home. Pedigree rescues are just as full to bursting as us moggie rescues. Also as soon as something is wrong wuith the cat some folks no matter how much money they have they don't want the cat
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 14:27:11 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2007, 14:14:28 PM »
i haven't read the article, and while some of the reasons could happen if they paid for them, the worst ones will only happen in free cats, as people wont want to pay. If you dont want the money, what you could do is advertise with a fee, then either say it isn't necessary once you are happy with them, or donate it to a local rescue. I have only paid for one of the 8 cats I have owned (although did get paid when I took one off someone!!), yet have spent thousands just at the vets, never mind anything else. Shecat - sadly a lot of people will pay a lot of money for a pet and then not look after it that well - PErsians suffer a lot with that according to the rescues vets, they see loads in really bad conditions.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2007, 09:30:07 AM »
I was very suspicious the other day when I received a number of calls from young men asking for cats and kittens. The calls came from Leicester and why would they ring me when there are dozens of rescues between there and me. Leicester is about 1 hours away down the M1
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline shecat

• Senior Cat
  • Tilly Ollie and Loki
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2007, 19:27:22 PM »
That link made me cry.

Realistically when Tills had her kittens, we kept one Ollie, My daughter took Ari and My o/hs boss, Jason took Dom and Dic.  We kept them until they had their injections, which I paid for and then charged  Jason for the injections.  He and his wife were happy to pay and because we knew them well we knew the kits were going to a lovely home.  doing it this way I was secure in the knowledge that the kits were vaccinated and also that Jason and his wife were willing to pay a bit".  I also asked them to neuter the boys as soon as it was possible. Jason went visibly white but his wife said it would be done. It was.  Gill his wife called me the day the went to the vets. They still bring round pics and cds of my babies.

Like a lot of people on here Im short of money too and like Hippy I keep a slush fund for vacs etc and the one thing I make sure is kept up are the insurances and I have to be honest some times thats hard.

To be honest Ive never paid for a cat. Tills and Firbs were abandoned and I took them in and my old 19 year old Squeak before that was a free to good home situation.  But if you want one you will pay to look after it, so personally I think the vac idea is a good one.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2007, 16:16:45 PM »
I read this article with horror, especially at the last part about the kitten in the lab. But the rest could just as easily have occurred in families where the kitten had been paid for. Paying doesn't ensure good care.
What puzzles me most is the motivation of the person allowing the queen to breed. Surely it would have been easier, long term, to have her spayed? She wasn't asking for money for the kits, so why bother 'farming' them. It would have been far more horrific if she had been SELLING the kittens.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Ruba

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2007, 12:44:20 PM »
Re free kittens, look at this link:

http://cats.about.com/cs/kittencare/a/freekittuns.htm

I think a cat given for free has to be very very lucky to find a nice home like yours, and that happens rarely.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2007, 12:42:37 PM »
It's not the case that the most caring people have the most money or nicest houses.

Well said. I've NEVER got any money :( but I'll always find a way to sort things out if any of my animals need something. They're family! My partner is of the same opinion.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 12:43:12 PM by JackSpratt »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2007, 12:33:40 PM »
I'd be wary of giving a cat free to a good home for the reasons Desley mentions - people using them for experiments or dog fighting.  Such people tend to trawl the free ads looking for "bait".  Or backyard breeders looking for breeding "stock".  I also think that having to pay a small fee helps to prevent buying on a whim without considering the cost implications of keeping a cat.  Of course it doesn't filter out all  unsuitable owners but most people are going to think more about getting a cat if they have to pay than if it is free so hopefully it helps a little.  But the best reason for paying imo is that rescues need all the money they can get and many wouldn't be able to run at all if they didn't get adoption fees.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2007, 12:07:09 PM »
I will have to root out the article we used to use on CC about free to good homes - I wonder if more of it is for America personally, but it says something like people who want cats for things like experiements, dog fighting etc - these kind of people wont go for any ads that will cost them money, but they will go for 'free to good home' ads. The best thing is to ask for a nominal donation, and you can either give it to a rescue, or once you have vetted the people, waive it. As Hippy says, someone paying a lot of money doesn't mean they will be well cared for, as pedigrees show, I have only paid for one of the 8 cats I have had, but they have all had good care, and in some cases cost me an incredible amount of money at the vets. I might not have had the cash at the time for an adoption fee, yet I have spent thousands at the vets, as it is easier to use a credit card at a vets than a rescue. And yes, dodgy people will avoid homechecks, if anyone quibbles, I would think again.
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2007, 11:56:45 AM »
Milly's Mum: I keep a slush fund to cover vet's bills, but disagree in principle with the notion that a cat for which someone has paid a great deal of money will necessarily be well cared for, otherwise there wouldn't be pedigrees in cat rescues. I've never paid anything but a nominal donation for any cat I've had, but they've all had the best of care. For Polly and Sam I paid only £15 for the pair; the woman at the rescue was glad to find a home where they could be together and someone who would take Polly (a nervous feral with blocked tear-ducts). For 14years they've bossed me around! (Hopefully they'll continue to do so for some time yet.)
I know there are some very dodgy people who must go to rescues wanting cats; but is this the best way to flush them out? It's not the case that the most caring people have the most money or nicest houses.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2007, 13:03:04 PM »
The H word wouldn't put me off because I'm dodgy - I'm just an absolute hermit! (My partners used to my bizarre attitude thankfully!)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2007, 12:26:09 PM »
Imo if you cant afford a donation towards your new pet what happens if an emergency vet bill crops up? If you dont have to stump up any cash its easier to get a kitten on a whim, then 6 months later "my cats pregnant & i cant afford to neuter it or feed a litter".

Homechecks aren't about checking up somebodys housecleaning. Location, how busy the road is & meeting other family members/pets is more important. A dodgy person who keeps animals in squalid conditions would be put off just by mentioning the  H word.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 15:26:17 PM by Millys Mum »

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2007, 11:09:51 AM »
I've never fostered, but have lots of feline experience. If the male is neutered, try introducing them. This way you'll be able to assess whether your foster has any problem getting along with other cats. This will be useful information for the prospective new home.

Going back down the thread a little. Why is it assumed that 'free to a good home' will necessarily attract the wrong types? Also, I think I would be a little nervous about a home check - it's constant chaos, tidiness-wise, here; but I have two happy cats. The only reason I bring up the thing about 'free to a good home' is that my income is limited, but my cats come first; therefore, if asked to pay a fortune for a cat, either the cat wouldn't get the loving home I could give, or I would have to look in the classified ads! But the cat would get all the food, vet care, etc that it needed.
Also, I'm a veggie, and hate the idea of 'trading' in animals in anyway.
But I do realise that the world is full of nasty people, and it must be hard to tell the difference.

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
  • Sam - missing since 29th August 2007 xx
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2007, 17:30:27 PM »
Is there anywhere else i can get Missy maximum exposure for her new home.  As she is not in a rescue anywhere I feel that she will be missed by many ideal new owners.  She is a doll and just wants lots of cuddles and attention.  I hate keeping her in the spare room as she needs to run around now and again and she loves my attention.  Sam however also wants my attention and the run of the house.  I am going to ask if I can put her details in my vets surgery tomorrow.  Anywhere else?  The rescue she was with is not a cat rescue so people wont know about her there either which is very frustrating and sad for her.

any advice for me please?

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2007, 18:45:53 PM »
Hi Milly's Mum

I have no idea why the thread was locked and she just said she would start a new one or that I could, so I have done.  I dont think she is being promoted anywhere else unless I am posting threads etc, at this rate she will be with me a long time!

I have a male cat who is soft as soap, how long do I need to keep them apart?  I dont like keep shutting doors on one because the other needs space  :-:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2007, 17:17:27 PM »
Being a first timer with this I dont know the process really.

The way it should work is you care for the cat/assess its temperament and they refer potential new homes to you.
Have you had a reply about why the post was locked?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 21:19:53 PM »
She is lovely, fingers crossed she isnt waiting long.
Please spay your cat

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 07:47:33 AM »
She is gorgeous, I would take her in a second if I could get down there :(

What a little angel.

Sarah x

Offline Iluvcritters

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 04:26:54 AM »
hugs to you for caring! and prayers for the kitty in need!

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 22:47:58 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply Gill.  Being a first timer with this I dont know the process really.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 22:46:30 PM »
Make sure they understand exactly the situation and get a live post running.

They are very bad if they just dump her on you.

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 22:43:29 PM »
I am actually a little concerned now that I have been left with her.  I have checked the post on Dogpages and it has been locked as if she no longer needs a home..?  They did say it would be left open.

The rescue only takes in dogs but took her in as they sometimes do with the odd cat but because they have no facilities for cats they need foster/people to rehome them straight away.  I feel a bit unsure what to do now as I cannot keep her permanently although she is lovely.  I have emailed them tonight to ask why her post is locked. 

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 22:35:52 PM »
I would leave her in the room she is in cos she is probably scared at the moment, she will do things in her own time. She looks lovely.

Yes advertising her on here is fine and anyone who wants more details can email or IM you.

If Warrington Animal Welfare also have cats that need homes they are eligible to apply for a rehoming page on Cat Chat.

They just need to go to www.catchat.org and click on the right link and apply. She then would be eligible to be put on there too and have a wider audience.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 20:26:27 PM »
I don't have any advice I'm afraid just wanted to say thank you for looking after this little girl, she's very prety and I'm sure she'll find a home in no time  ;D

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
Re: A bit of advice about rehoming,rescue and fostering....
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 19:48:11 PM »
Hello me again  ;D

Just to let you know, I am fostering Missy (or Poppy as I am now calling her) through Warrington Animal Welfare and we are both in Warrington.  I believe they are advertising her in my local vets where Sam is attended to.  She is also on Dogpages which is where I spotted her.

She is an absolute dream  :Luv:  but I do have concerns that she wont venture downstairs.  At the moment she is in my spare room with the door open as Sam is in the kitchen/outside stretching his legs.  Do I just leave her.  Also am I ok to be putting her details on here to find her a new home? (I am quite willing to) I have the ladies phone numbers should anybody want further information or need a home check.  I would not think I am the best person to do this seeing as I am totally new to this!

Here is a pic of the pretty little princess (hope it works)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 21:02:41 PM by Debbie »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 12:06:59 PM »
You could put posters in any vets in the area, make sure you dont advertise her as "free to good home" or you risk attracting the wrong type of people.
Also, if you let her go to a family, make sure you see all the children with her, just to make sure she likes them all   :)
A homecheck is good aswell, just mentioning this will put some dodgy people off.

PS. Any pics?!  :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 15:22:47 PM by Millys Mum »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 08:04:20 AM »
You can start a separate thread for her on here, just make sure you mention the charity, area, and how far you are willing to let her go. Pics always help. There is also Pet Rescue, but I hve been unable to get on their forums this week. Good luck, and good on you for helping.
Please spay your cat

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 08:01:12 AM »
Where abouts are you?

Sarah x

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
A bit of advice about rehoming,rescue and fostering....PIC NOW ATTACHED
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 22:49:54 PM »
Hi there folks

I have taken on a foster kitty that had nowhere to go after being spayed.  She is a lovely little cat and so tiny, unbelievable that she has had two litters already, she looks no older than 1 year old.

Anyway, I have taken her on temporarily and this is the first time I have done this.  She is residing in my small bedroom and seems quite happy there.  She has clocked Sam and hisses and growls, he just looks at her but they have not officially met. 

The people I am fostering for normally take on dogs thus the need for a foster home.  Where can I put her details so that she gets her forever home?  I was considering getting Sam a friend only with my job a bit up in the air at present I am not sure I can commit to another permanent cat just yet. 

Any advice from the great wealth of experience out there please?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 19:48:58 PM by Debbie »

Link to CatChat