Author Topic: Cats + Antifreeze = :(  (Read 1930 times)

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Cats + Antifreeze = :(
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 10:49:00 AM »
my mum has sprayed all our atifreeze/windscreen wash/oil bottles in the garage with citronella animal repellant, we use it so stop Indy scratching the sofa (and it works) so we sprayed everything dangerous to Mabel in the garage with it after her knocking the antifreeze over.

We are currently fitting a cabinate with locks to put the stuff in but the repellant is working in the short term to keep Mabel safe.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 08:30:46 AM »
Unfortunately we hear of cats suffering from Antifreeze poisoning at all times of year, sadly many don't make it. Some garages automatically put it in cars at a service whatever time of year. Also people often store it in garages and the top of the container may not be on as tight as it might be.

The was a Mercedes garage near our town centre with a small housing estate behind it and I can’t tell you just how many reports we had a year of cats suffering with antifreeze poisoning.

Apparently the man soaked sponges in Kipper Milk, so the cats would eat it and then suffer. I'm not sure if this is some kind of urban legend or what,

I suppose the thinking of that would be that the cat would then eat the sponge which would not be too good internally. Sp perhaps there is an element of truth.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 08:17:13 AM »
 :( poor cat, do hope it was ok
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 08:03:47 AM »
This happeneds every year doesnt it people.. Which reminds me i will send out a bulk email our members to let them know about this...and to warn new adopters...
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 06:00:47 AM »
Hopefully the poor cat survived. I think the antidote is alcohol given intravenously which works if given in time - poor baby  :'(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 04:00:08 AM »
Hope the poor cat is okay -as for the man that used to do that -well i hope he has an agonising death and is in terrible pain for weeks and suffers unbearably -these people are scum and thats even too good a word for them ! :censored: :censored:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 00:57:57 AM »
Thanks for posting Nixxy, always good to have a reminder.  Hope the little one your Dad found pulled through  :hug:

Offline Nixxy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 00:01:44 AM »
Apparently the man soaked sponges in Kipper Milk, so the cats would eat it and then suffer. I'm not sure if this is some kind of urban legend or what, but it sounds damn nasty.

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 23:55:04 PM »
True I dont see why anyone would leave it lying around for any other purpose.

Dont quite understand about the kipper milk, as I know cats shouldnt have cows milk but it would not kill them tho.
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Nixxy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 23:46:11 PM »
Aww I know we hear of it but not usually from a member. How long ago was this? Im sure your dad could phone the CP and ask about it.

What is kipper milk?

Kipper Milk is just normal milk which has had kippers soaked in it so it takes on the flavour and smell, very tempting to kitties!

I'll suggest calling the CP to my Dad next time I phone my parents (They live in Carlisle) This was a few weeks ago now, when the weather was not as cold, which made my parents think that someone had left the antifreeze out on purpose!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 23:47:57 PM by Nixxy »

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 23:39:08 PM »
Aww I know we hear of it but not usually from a member. How long ago was this? Im sure your dad could phone the CP and ask about it.

What is kipper milk?
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Nixxy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 23:32:55 PM »
Sadly we have no idea if the cat survived, as we don't know what vets it went too and my dad hasn't see the lady since. I hope that it did but chances are not :(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 23:23:08 PM »
Thank you very much for this post Nixxy because we usually post something about this potent cat killer at this time of year.

Did the cat survive and if so without any problems? I have been led to believe that cats do not usually survive and anti freeze is as you say so sweet they cannot resist it.

Sooooooo peeps if you use this stuff please keep out of the way of cats.

Offline Nixxy

• Adult Cat
Cats + Antifreeze = :(
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 23:11:11 PM »
I didn't realise this was such a problem until the other week when my Dad had a strange encounter with a Cat in the back Garden of my parents house. He went outside to get some rubbish and found a black and white puss staggering around on the lawn and when he approached it to see what it was doing the cat stood perfectly still then fell over! My Dad, being an animal loving person ran straight into the house, told my Mum what was happening with this strange Cat in the garden, then  took off up the street to a CP lady that lives near them. She gave him a Cat Carryer and told him to get the Cat into it then bring it to her and she would take it to a vets.

Apparently the puss was so groggy my Dad literally pured it into the basket :( The lady rang my parents a few hours later to explain that the cat had been pisoned by Antifreeze and that it is pretty common for cats to drink it due to it's sweet taste! My Mum and Dad were both shocked as they had never heard of this, and neither had I to be honest.  The meanest thing I'd ever heard of anyone doing to deter cats, was a Man my dad once knew leaving sponge outside his house soaked in kipper milk, which the cats would then eat...and well, you can imagine the consequences, the horrible man.  >:(

Anyway, I thought i'd just share this tale of woe.

Link to CatChat