Author Topic: National cat Show - Bracknell  (Read 5452 times)

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
Re: National cat Show - Bracknell
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 22:56:18 PM »
The National used to always have its show on or around 9 December and yet this year it changed it.

Apparently the original Supreme date would have meant that there would be no clash but due to the NEC they had to change it by a week.  The venue change for the National may also be the reason why the National had to change their date?

The Supreme is the only cat show where you have to qualify to enter and can only win certain special titles whereas the National is just a normal cat show just like the Cheshire, North West, Yorkshire etc.

I think its a shame that other show committees are having a go at other shows - just with some careful planning there needn't be any problems.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 22:49:17 PM »
I am sure that you are gonna correct me Witty but I can go back about 15 years with National and I am sure the supreme never used to be as close, in fact I seem to remember when it changed to a week or two infront and that year the National lost out big time and never recovered.

I have to say I prefer the National to the Supreme, although dont know what its like at Bracknell which is just far to far out for me.

It used to be great getting on the tube and seeing all the cat people  ;D

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 22:14:37 PM »
Why is it held so close to the date of the Supreme Cat Show? Surely, that is self defeating.

Politics, I'm afraid. The National Cat Club have this agenda to kill off the Supreme - they raised this recently at a GCCF council meeting.

He also told me that they had appx. 50% more cats there this year than last.

That's quite a bit of spin, Leigh. Don't be fooled by it - the National only had 100 more cats than last year - near enough the number the Supreme was down because of the clash.

In any case, some of the Household Pet exhibitors chose the National over the Supreme because it would be a much easier show to win since all the best HP were at the Supreme previous weekend.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 17:28:58 PM »
It was a shame I missed this, couldn't really afford to get up there, but I'm really hoping to be able to make it next year. I've never been to a cat show, always had mixed thoughts about them, but after what people have said, I do feel a little better about them now.

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 16:17:55 PM »
Hi folks,

I really enjoyed the show, like others have said, I too have mixed feelings about cat shows. I went with the express purpose of meeting friends and to buy bits for the boys and I wasn't disappointed by the goods on offer. Compared to last year's show at Olympia things were somewhat cramped and not so many stalls on display however one can understand the move from Olympia as, according to a conversation I had with one of the officials, Olympia cost £100,000 plus at least £2000 in expenses during the year for meetings to discuss fire safety marshalling etc. versus £4000 for the new venue. He said that obviously given the size of the venue and the reduced number of stall holders they could not charge £12.50 entry as last year but rather an entry price of £5.00 which, thanks to Clare kindly picking me up in Woking and driving to Bracknell actually meant that it cost me less this year including my train return than it had to get to, from Olympia. He also told me that they had appx. 50% more cats there this year than last. I agree with others who have mentioned that most of the cats looked pretty happy and comfortable and that many were being held out of their cages to be stroked by visitors and this I found to a certain degree reassuring as they were obviously much-loved pets and not just there to win rosettes. All in all I really enjoyed the show, maybe a few more stands would have been nice but, all things taken into consideration, I'd definitely go again.

Cheers

Leigh
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 16:20:50 PM by LeighK »
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 14:20:23 PM »
I guess you're all right, I just wanted to "air" my views IYKWIM.

There were people who obviously love their cats and are slaves in the same way we are but I guess there are always people who are in it for the show side.

I am glad I went anyway it was interesting, I am sorry that I didn't manage to catch up with you Clare.

Gillian (Ambercat) - all I could think about was the poor kitten and what a start to life it had had. And I'm sure I would love a persian kitten in its own environment  :Luv2:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 12:31:09 PM »
Someone asked why she wouldn't keep him as a pet and she said no I have 4 others at home and I breed them. I found this to be really sad.

The other thing I found was I'd always wanted a Persian or a long haired cat but when I saw them I didn't fall in love with them as much as I thought I would. 

That is sad about the kitten going back to the breeder, it makes the poor thing sound like shop soiled goods doesnt it?

I'd just say about seeing cats at shows you are not seeing them in their normal environment and I think if you saw some persian kittens running around in their own home - then you'd fall in love with them  ;)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 09:34:39 AM »
on the whole they look pretty relaxed and I don't think it does the owners any favours if the cats are stressed, its makes handling them difficult and they would be judged on this - my bengals mother wasn't good at shows and had to be retired because she bit a judge!  she lives as a family pet with the breeder now though

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 09:30:43 AM »
I have to say that I'm a bit like Leane with this, I've always had mixed feeling about shows.  I would love to see all the cats and meet everyone and nearly went to Birmingham one, but I worry the cats are ok and travel ok although my husband says they'll be used to it and I do know of a few cats who just love getting in cars etc.  I think I may go next time and just see how I feel.  Lovely photos btw  :)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 09:31:32 AM by janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 09:10:42 AM »
Hi Leanne, I though I remember you saying you were going, shame we didn't get to say Hello!

On the whole, I don't think I saw too many cats who looked distressed, many just seemed very chilled out and snoozy, or were the opposite end of  the scale and loving all the attention.  I did see a few hiding which was a little upsetting, especially one adorable babe who I went to say hello to, and then dived under the blanket pulling it right over!  I didn't think I was that scary  :-[

I do still have mixed feelings on shows, but I think for every 1 owner who is into the breeding/showing side, there are 10 who are totally in love with their furbabes, particularly those who have their cats out for cuddles and let you stroke them too, its clear that they are devoted slaves in the same way that we are, does that make sense?

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 09:05:39 AM »
I went and posted this on the other thread too.

I was there and I'm sorry I didn't get to meet any purrs peeps

Clarenmax I saw you from a distance - I saw your purrs badge but I was paying for something.

I too got some bits for my boys too.

I have to say I struggled with the show in some ways. Personally I am not 100% sure how happy the cats are being shown.

We were talking to a lady with a Persian kitten, I can't remember the pen number and she was saying during the vetting the vet noticed there was something wrong with a tooth so she could no longer show him. She then said the breeder was irresponsible for selling him and he'll have to go back. Someone asked why she wouldn't keep him as a pet and she said no I have 4 others at home and I breed them. I found this to be really sad.

The other thing I found was I'd always wanted a Persian or a long haired cat but when I saw them I didn't fall in love with them as much as I thought I would. I did however adore the orientals and the siamese in particular. It was lovely to see all different breeds of cats though.

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 18:56:53 PM »
Hi Clare,

It would have been good to meet up with a few regulars from here as well. Life has been someone hectic in the last few months workwise and otherwise, so although I wanted to go, the actual descision was not until the last minute mainly for health reasons.

I did bump into an old friend who used to help me fund raise for CP and is now involved with breeder societies and another lady who I have helped at Croydon Animal Samaritans in the past. They came by rail and, as you say, it was not easy to get to. One of my vet's staff was also judging although I did not get chance to say 'Hello', as she was extremely busy. I will also be interested on her take on the day.

There was one elderly lady with her non pedigree cat who, sadly, appeared a knife and fork short of a picnic. :Crazy: She had a lovely tabby cat and a note on her pen asking her to contact the show manager. I made comment about the note and she heard me and replied it was because they would not let her dog into the show. She just couldn't understand why the dog could not come in. It then became clear that it was her dog tethered outside the main entrance - apart from anything else a real invitation to theft these days.  I diplomatically (I can be :) pointed out the likely reasons but to no avail. She then offered her cat some milk and I asked if she had tried cat milk which was made for easier digestion, etc. She said that the cat had been born on a farm and must have been used to full cat milk. At that point I gave up.

Who else went from here?

Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 17:54:57 PM »
A few of us went yesterday, I went with Leigh, and we bumped into Dawn F up there as well.  Didn't know you were going, you should have said, would have been nice to say Hi and put a face to the name  :wow:

From a price point of view, yesterday was way better than Olympia, only £5 to get in, and as you say, free parking.  The location was not so good though for anyone without a car as it is 'in the sticks' somewhat!

Organisation wise, not a patch on Olympia in all honesty, as you say, the halls were very small, and there was not much room to manoevre around and see the cats, especially when they were being judged, I got bashed by a judge and their trolley several times trying to get through the crowds  :evillaugh:

Leigh was chatting to one of the organisers who said how much money they had saved by moving to Bracknell, I'm sure he'll post up on here in a bit, but the show was larger than last year by quite some way, in a venue much smaller.

I also agree that the access to the second hall was just silly, as everyone was hovering to see the results and you couldn't move down there.

The stalls were good again though, got some good gifts for Max which was my main reason for going.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
National cat Show - Bracknell
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 15:09:46 PM »
Did anyone go yesterday? What did you think?

After years at Olympia, West London it moved to the sports centre at Bracknell. I don't blame the organisers, as the owners / operators of Olympia got greedy. £25 upwards to park, about £10 per person for entry and you were looking at about £45 upwards for 2 adults before you started. This meant a lot less for most families to spend on the charity stalls, et.

Bracknell was much better from a financial point of view as parking, although difficult due to limited size, was free and public entry was £5 a head. However, it was a bit chaotic and it must have in some ways been difficult to organise without knowing likely numbers of ordinary visitors. The event was held in 2 halls, which were barely large enough to house all the cats and stalls.

Charity stalls present included the local CP, Blue Cross, CLAWS and Battersea Dogs and Cats Home. Olympia used to see a large CP HO standand a variety of CP branches funded centrally so that it didn't hit their individual branch funds. This was not inevidence this year probably due to the limited size of venue.

Olympia until recent years also used to see the excellent Cat 77 and brilliant Celia Hammond Animal Rescue but I guess the greed of Olympia made it less and less attractive for them. Neither were present yesterday.

The two constructive issues that I would make about this event are as follows:

1. Why is it held so close to the date of the Supreme Cat Show? Surely, that is self defeating.

2. The organisation yesterday was a bit chaotic. The results were posted in a hallway, which was continually blocked as owners / interested parties congregated to read them. It meant that there was a continual blockage as visitors to the show and people using the sports facilities as members, etc, battled to get through both ways. I felt sorry for a couple of people in wheelchairs who had little or no chance to get through easily.

Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Link to CatChat