Author Topic: Lump on Zorro's back, please advise... u/d it's shrinking! yaaay!  (Read 4389 times)

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
Re: Lump on Zorro's back, please advise... u/d it's shrinking! yaaay!
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2008, 13:08:42 PM »
I'm very glad it was OK. We were in a right old state with our Munchkin- I'd convinced myself it was Feline Vaccine Sarcoma- so I know how relieved you must feel!

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2008, 10:04:59 AM »
lovely to have good news!  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2008, 23:49:20 PM »
oh thats good  ;D

Offline CarmenCole

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2008, 23:41:35 PM »
My husband thought Zorro's lump was smaller today, and I double checked, so did one of the boys...

It's definitely smaller!  So it seems to have been an injection reaction after all!  We are all sooooo relieved!
Thank you all so much for your good advice!
:cat laugh:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 23:42:08 PM by CarmenCole »
Carmen x

Offline CarmenCole

• Adult Cat
Re: Lump on Zorro's back, please advise...
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2008, 21:58:49 PM »
I went to them because they are recommended as Rabbit Savvy Vets (and rabbits are my first love).  I was told to expect them to be more expensive than most vets as they are qualified in exotic pets (which bunnies apparently are!).

The irony of it is, I took and rehomed all the cats from my niece when she said she couldn't afford to pay for meds/vaccs/spays and neuters.  If she had gone to the PDSA like I had told her originally, it wouldn't have been as good as Powis&Partners!
Carmen x

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2008, 21:38:56 PM »
Your vets sound like mine ... they are very caring and never charge follow-up consultation fees.  They also only charge a very small amount for medication ... basically cost plus about 15%.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline CarmenCole

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2008, 21:34:33 PM »
Woo Hoo so pleased it all went well at the vet ... and FREE as well!!! double Woo hoo for that one.
Yep!  I love my vet - they are very good to me.  I've never panacured a rabbit before, so they said to bring one in Friday and they will show me how to administer the paste for free!  They check Hamilton (ratty) for free if I bring him in with one of the bunnies, and they never charged me for examination when we lost Maggie (bun) last month, only for cremation fees.  They have also done reduced work on some fosters (buns) before they go off to rescues.

But with 6 animals, they have enough of my money I spose!  :innocent:
Carmen x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2008, 18:56:37 PM »
wonderful i am so pleased  ;D

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 18:55:27 PM »
Woo Hoo so pleased it all went well at the vet ... and FREE as well!!! double Woo hoo for that one.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2008, 18:49:21 PM »
Iv seen kitten collars that are quick release, i assume they would be shorter! Cant remember where i saw them but PAH would be a good place to start

Offline CarmenCole

• Adult Cat
Re: Lump on Zorro's back... back from vets!
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2008, 17:52:29 PM »
Hi

I've just come back from the vets.  She says it seems to be either an injection reaction or a cyst (mmmm, how many of you guys should be vets? lol).  I've got to keep an eye on it, it isn't hurting him, as she checked it thoroughly and he didn't move.  He hasn't got a temp either (much to his disgust).

I'm due back there on Friday as I have to Panacur 4 rabbits this weekend, so if it has grown, she said to bring him in.

best bit of all - I wasn't even charged for it!  :happy dance:
Carmen x

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2008, 13:16:34 PM »
good luck xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 12:29:26 PM »
Hope all goes well at the vets  :hug:

Offline CarmenCole

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 10:48:15 AM »
Okay, vets appointment at 5pm today.  They were really good about it and booked him in for the first available appointment.

Zorro is now wearing his breakaway collar too, and so far hasn't decided to have a scrap with it!  :innocent:
Carmen x

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2008, 22:30:29 PM »
No problem  :)

Also a lost collar is better than no cat  :)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline CarmenCole

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 21:52:06 PM »
Not sure if Kittycollars have small ones but I know they have advice on their site about minimum neck size etc. None of mine wear collars. http://www.kittycollars.co.uk/faqs.htm The only true safety collars are the breakaway type - all Kittycollars ones are breakaway.

I know Ela who is a member here had a cat on her waiting list to come in quite recently. She got a call saying the cat had caught the collar on a window bar and hanged  :( - the elasticated can be even worse than the buckle ones as sometimes cats will struggle and end up with them half on, half off and cut the blood supply off or damage legs. Quite often they end up needing amputations. I know this probably doesn't happen that often but there is no need for it to happen at all  :(

Oh no!  That is terrible! *dashes off and removes non-safe collar*

Suppose a breakaway collar that catches on his mouth would breakaway if he pulled it hard enough.  An annoyed cat is better than a seriously injured cat (or worse).

Thanks
Carmen x

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 21:27:49 PM »

Mark - Thanks for the info.  I have a safety collar for him, but he's so teensy, he gets his mouth caught in it and panics.  I can't get one smaller or adjust it smaller either, but if you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate it!  8)

Not sure if Kittycollars have small ones but I know they have advice on their site about minimum neck size etc. None of mine wear collars. http://www.kittycollars.co.uk/faqs.htm The only true safety collars are the breakaway type - all Kittycollars ones are breakaway.

I know Ela who is a member here had a cat on her waiting list to come in quite recently. She got a call saying the cat had caught the collar on a window bar and hanged  :( - the elasticated can be even worse than the buckle ones as sometimes cats will struggle and end up with them half on, half off and cut the blood supply off or damage legs. Quite often they end up needing amputations. I know this probably doesn't happen that often but there is no need for it to happen at all  :(

« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 21:31:49 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline CarmenCole

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 21:19:57 PM »
Thank you all so much.  I am prepared to ask plenty of questions at the vets tomorrow.

Mark - Thanks for the info.  I have a safety collar for him, but he's so teensy, he gets his mouth caught in it and panics.  I can't get one smaller or adjust it smaller either, but if you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate it!  8)

Skiddaw - Yes, he had his last vaccinations for FeLV, FIE and Cat Flu last week.  He had these at the same time as his microchip.  I'm pretty sure they were further up than the lump though, and wouldn't a reaction have come up sooner?

He's been snoozing with my 2yr old son for the last few hours, so he's feeling quite comfortable at the mo.  I just hope he's not in any pain.
Carmen x

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 20:23:06 PM »
it could be anything and there is no way to tell really from the photo but deffo take on board folks advice when you see the vet tomorrow and be prepared with questions.

Good luck with the vet tomorrow, try not to fret too much hopefully it will be nothing serious.  :hug:
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 19:08:26 PM »
I would guess injection site reaction or abcess. Hes a very pretty boy  :Luv:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 18:30:45 PM »
Talking of collars, I don't want to be a scaremonger but it looks like a non-safety collar that Zorro is wearing?

There is a section here about safety collars. I know a lot of rescues have seen horfific injuries from collars getting caught.

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,4803.0.html

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 15:02:37 PM »
Just a thought- has Zorro had any injections recently? We had a scare with Munchkin just the other week- lump in the same place as Zorro's lump and similar size- it turned out to be a reaction to an antibiotic injection he'd had the week before. The vet took a biopsy to be on the safe side, but all was OK. He said the lump would go down of its own accord but may take weeks or even months. It has started to go down now.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 14:52:43 PM »
To be honest it could be anythging although it looks like a cyst that Kocka had on her side and I also had one on mmy back.

Word of warning if it is a cyst.............they tend to try antibiotics if its infected and then will say just leave it...........also happened with mine. Sometimes they come up and then go down for no reason and then reappear.

However another thing they can do is lance them, dont let them do this as its much better to have then removed completely under GA, especially if your cat is young. 

Kocka was about 14 or so when hers appeared and they didnt want to touch it. But when she was ill and around 18 it suddenly burst and I didnt know and the flies got to it and laid eggs.........only just caught it in time and then she needed an emergency op to get rid of it, which had it been removed when she was younger it would have been much better for her.

Cysts are like giant peas in a skin beneath the surface and if taken out in one go without bursting, this reduces the chance of infection and is a nice clean operation. Also reduces the chance of them returning.

To stop her having to wear a collar or anything, they stapled her wound which was quite big and she had no problem with the staples at all. I was really woried about them being taken out but she just lay there and they came out really easy with no fuss at all, they use a special tool. The scar healed very quickly even for a very sick elderly cat.

Good luck at the vets  :hug:

Offline CarmenCole

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 14:06:06 PM »
Here's a pic.  I have managed to get him to sit still inbetween chasing leaves and stalking trees to get a photo and circled the lump in question...
Carmen x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 13:31:30 PM »
It could be a cyst thats become infected but a vet visit is ceratinly the way to go  :hug:

Offline CarmenCole

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 12:00:17 PM »
Thanks Janeyk. :thanks:

He's been really hyper this morning too, I mean sinking his teeth into my ankles, jumping on everyone, like a 2yr old child on a sugar rush.  I've had to shut Nicholas's cage (which he isn't happy about *stomps* ), as I was worried Zorro would freak him out and he'd bite/kick and really hurt him.  I've rubbed a drop of rescue remedy onto my hand and stroked his ears, and he's settled down to sleep in the igloo he shares with Nicholas (housebunny).  So atleast he isn't going nuts now.

My vets are really good, I've been in so many times this last few months, they don't even ask my name anymore, they recognise my voice on the phone and just ask what animal I'm bringing in; mine or rescued, rabbit, rat or cat, foster or permanent!  :shy:
Carmen x

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 11:43:47 AM »
Sorry but first things spring to mind are bite and fatty lump, which we've experienced with our cats not sure about rosebush but try not to worry too much - though I know it's hard and good luck at vets tomorrow x
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 11:45:44 AM by janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline CarmenCole

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 11:35:55 AM »
Thanks for your quick replies.

I was just thinking, he has supervised playtimes in the garden, but he may have caught himself on a rosebush.  Would that explain it maybe?  I just cannot figure out where he'd get an injury that would fit as an explanation.  The more I think about it, the more I'm worrying.
Carmen x

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 11:24:00 AM »
Oo sorry, no I have no idea. I was going to suggest a bite unless maybe its a scratch that he might have received playing somewhere? Or an insect bite, spider maybe?

Hope its not bothering him too much, at least until the vet can see to it.  :hug:

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 11:23:46 AM »
Vet visit to be on the safe side, he is a bit young for a fatty lump
Please spay your cat

Offline CarmenCole

• Adult Cat
Lump on Zorro's back, please advise... u/d it's shrinking! yaaay!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 11:20:38 AM »
Hi

When we were cuddling with Zorro last night we noticed a fairly sizeable lump on his back.  It's about the size of a 20p coin, but is quite raised, enough to lift the fur anyway.  He's not too happy about being stroked near it, but that may be something to do with him not really being a strokable cat anyway (bit too playful  :innocent: ).

He hasn't had any fights with (Nicholas) rabbit, or encountered any other cats, so it wouldn't be a bite.  It's too far back to be his microchip (I think).

I'm phoning the vets tomorrow, but can anyone suggest what it may be please?  I'm worried sick.  He's only a baby.  :scared:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 23:38:51 PM by CarmenCole »
Carmen x

Link to CatChat