Author Topic: vet fees (again)  (Read 2676 times)

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
Re: vet fees (again)
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2008, 08:53:02 AM »
AXA - they quoted me for Zi at the age of 18, and the excess is a straight £50

Thanks hunnie I'll get Buntys changed x

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2008, 08:40:21 AM »
Millys Mum we have been checking it but when the vet asks you to come back I felt a bit churlish saying no I don't want to pay you again!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2008, 21:12:04 PM »
My vets charge £28.50 for the first consult then £20.95 for the second and any subsequent consults.  Tiggy used to have to go to the vets at least once a month for steroid jabs so I was charged 2nd consult fee + meds.  On the odd ocassion I couldn't get 'her' vet the other vet at that surgery only charged me £5 instead of the normal £20.95, I stuck with 'her' vet as he knew her.

Now that I only need the vets on rare occasions I'm not fussy who I have.  This has paid off big time, when Riley cut his foot (should be classed as 1st consult) I was charged £8 in total and when he saw a different vet for a skin infection in his back paw as a kitten she charged me the cost of a 2nd consult (even though it was his first) and then on the 2nd consult she just charged for the meds, the third consult he didn't need any more meds and she said she was happy with how it had healed and didn't charge me a penny, she's our favourite vet  :evillaugh:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2008, 20:56:07 PM »
AXA - they quoted me for Zi at the age of 18, and the excess is a straight £50
Please spay your cat

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2008, 08:41:36 AM »
Desley for my eldest Bunty Sainsburys was the only one I could find to insure her - who are you with now?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2008, 08:14:09 AM »
I wont be recommending Sainsbury's full stop then!! I have stopped recommending them for oldies, as an excess of £125 is too high IMO - Pebbles had a sedation and 2 x-rays for less than that!!
Please spay your cat

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 20:28:38 PM »
Mine is the same everytime plus whatever treatment is done but they are fast to fill out my insurance forms and I am with Tescos and they are fast to pay up, my excess with Tescos has gone up £10 to £50.   I wouldn't change my vet though he is great.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 19:22:35 PM »
Mine has a scale 1-3 but i often dont get charged for the first one just drugs  :Luv: get 15% off my rescues too. Would pay whatever tho to use my vet, think he is fab  ;D

Dawn can you not check her tongue seeing as shes had 2 visits, easy to see when a cut has gone

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 13:34:45 PM »
My vet has three different rates for first, second and subsequent consults

Our vets has a sliding scale too, first to 4th and subsequent visits.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 08:31:55 AM »
it said under 9 £75 over 9 £125 on mine!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 08:21:53 AM »
I thought Sainsbury's had only increased teh excess on over 9's - I remember posting about that, it is the reason I have changed Molly over to AXA.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 08:19:48 AM »
seems like I'm not the only one then, that's ok!  they are a good practice so i wouldn't want to change unless I thought I was being ripped off

BC the vet generates the bill from the pc in the consulting room and it prints out at the front desk so I don't think they have anything to do with the money apart from taking it - not a problem, it part of the joy of pet ownership after all - as an aside I just realised my excess on sainsburys has gone up to £75 much start reading the small print!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 22:12:04 PM »
Mine starts at £20, then it goes down to the third, although I have often picked up strays and the vet has looked them over and only charged me for the wormer, so I Can't complain too much. I dont always get charged a consultation with bloods though
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 20:19:23 PM »
My old vet used to charge a consultation fee the first time and no consultation for subsequent visits but my current one charges reduced rate for subsequent visits.

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 19:09:16 PM »
My vet charges £25.90 for first visit, £20ish for 2nd, £15ish for 3rd, £10ish for 4th... My vet is amazing though and is very reasonable with the price of meds and if the second or third visit is a quickie he will always just charge me the tenner for a 4th consultation.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 18:33:37 PM »
My vet has three different rates for first, second and subsequent consults.  The third + ones are about £12.50 I think - I guess ultimately if they end up being booked up with lots of 'free' revisits they won't make any money so they'll put other prices up instead! 

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 18:06:53 PM »
Normally if it is a follow-up appointment you might be charged a consultation fee, but it would be significantly reduced from the first one. I would be very annoyed if my vet stung me the full amount for regular visits for an on-going treatment programme. I would question it as the front counter people may have got it wrong ...

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 17:59:33 PM »
I don't think I've ever taken them back several times for the same thing.  Only after an op when the post op check up is free.  I know that the cost of a follow up consultation is less than for the first consultation and I would assume that you pay that each time you go back, but I don't know for certain whether there is a point at which you don't pay a consultation fee.  I suppose it would depend a lot on the reason for going back.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 17:30:46 PM »
Mine charges every time you go in whether it's a first appt or follow ups even when it's weekly follow ups  :tired: Can't complain too much though as my vets give first rate care.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 16:23:17 PM »
that's what my old vet in London did but this one £28 everytime I walk through the door and I'm being asked to go back so the can check her tongue is healing so I can't say no!

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 16:22:06 PM »
My vet tends to charge the first tome , and then if its ongoing problem , just any treatment the next time , if everything is ok -no charge.
Smartie had op and went back for check up and stitches out and no charge for that.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
vet fees (again)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 16:16:34 PM »
just wondering what other people do - took Amber in last Wednesday paid for consultation fee and meds, took her back again yesterday, paid second consultation fee, have been asked to take her back next Monday and presumably can expect the same - is this normal?  Oddly enough I took her in for an emergency for a different thing on Saturday and didn't get charged

Link to CatChat