Author Topic: Feeding neighbours cat  (Read 2774 times)

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
Re: Feeding neighbours cat
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 17:19:42 PM »
I had thought about keeping her in as well, but its tough as I've got to follow their wishes I guess , and apparently she's not great with a litter tray  :doh:

Am in two minds really.  Tell you something though, if they ever want me to do this again, I will defo think twice, unless they agree to her staying in for the week!

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 17:10:52 PM »
If I was you I'd now be keeping her in at night, I'd be too worried that she didn't come back...........mind you I worry when mine disappear over the back fence in the day time  :innocent:
People who don't like cats were mice in a previous life!!

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 13:56:10 PM »
Well, the little madam didnt turn up last night or this morning, so o/h has been on catwatch!  One of our neighbours saw her at about 6.30 this morning, so she's around, just not coming home  :Crazy:

Anyways, she finally turned up at lunchtime when John was getting her food bowls out of the garden (empty again so she's been eating), so she is safely indoors again (for now!!!).

Didn't realise cat-sitting would be such an adventure  :o

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 09:09:19 AM »
Defo a gift, I'm going to take a ping pong ball round tonight and see if she'll play with it  ;D

Well the little madam led me a merry dance this morning, she was sitting on the fence when I was in my kitchen feeding Max, but had gone AWOL by time I went into her house 5 minutes later!  Tried calling her (but obviously she's not used to my voice), banging her food bowl, rattling the door handle, everything I could think of, but she wouldn't come in.  I've left her food and drink in a secluded area by the back door as I couldn't wait as I had to get to work, but have asked o/h to take a look later on this morning before he goes out.

Not sure what more I can do really  :Dont know: but it must have something to do with the break in her usual routine.

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 20:26:30 PM »
Awwww she sounds lovely!

I would definitely have a chat about leaving her out all night though, and suggest a few toys they might like to buy that aren't expensive  ;D or maybe get her a gift? hehe
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 15:48:53 PM »
Well, all is going OK with looking after Freda (originally Freddie, but they found out he was a she!)

They were not happy to keep her in all the time as she's used to going out at night (they reckon its safer, will have a chat when they get back), and is only used to using her litter tray in emergencies, so reluctantly I'm going along with their wishes.  She is waiting by the back door every morning though so at least she knows when her breakfast is due and when to come home!

She really is an affectionate little girl, size wise you couldn't get more different to my boy Max who is very big, she's very delicate and despite eating a lot, hardly weighs anything bless her!  She doesn't have any toys to play with, so I'm just making sure she gets lots of fuss twice a day when I go in.  She doesn't really miaow either, makes these little chirupping noises and rolls around on the floor in front of you demanding attention lol!

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know how my first experience of looking after somebody's else's cat is going  ;D

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 12:39:26 PM »
It may be better to keep the cat indoors while they're away

I agree so many cats get themselves lost when their owners goes away and someone is popping round a couple of times a day to deed.

A little known law:- Animal lovers face £500 fines – just for looking after pets for their neighbours or friends. They fall foul of a little known law, which insists anyone paid to look after animals needs a £300 kennel licence. They could even face jail under it if there is an allegation of cruelty or neglect.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 15:09:44 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 11:43:35 AM »
I guess it depends on whether she has a litter tray indoors ..... I would have to think she has if she's in the house all day.  If there is a tray, I will suggest keeping her in for the week, as it would concern me if she didn't turn up for her morning feed after being out all night to be honest

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 11:32:41 AM »
You've probably already thought of this, but I'd check with her what you are to do if you go around to feed her and she's not there (ie if she's outside and you can't see her or get her inside).  Do you just leave food down?  What if you've gone twice or so and there's no sign of her - how much time are you prepared to spend there and how long does she expect you to be there for each visit.  It may be better to keep the cat indoors while they're away, tbh.  I know that might not go down too well but she will still be in her own home with more room than in a cattery and you won't then risk spending ages wandering around outside trying to call her indoors and not sure whether anything bad has happened or whether she's just not home yet.

Definitely vet details and check whether she's happy for you to take the cat to the vet off your own back if you think it necessary or whether she wants you to contact her to discuss it first (excluding emergencies obviously)

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 11:32:32 AM »
Excellent, hadn't thought of some of those!  Hopefully she is playful, she's such a little cutie, only about a year old, and very friendly!

Hopefully her scent on my clothes won't send my boy in too much of a frenzy .......  :scared:

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 11:28:18 AM »
I think you've covered everything our cat sitter asked us when he first came round. He wanted to know whether our cats were playful too to see if they would want to be played with with their toys etc while he was there, but I suppose you might already know that?

Also, which rooms in the house (if any) the kitty is not allowed to go in, and their hiding places in the house in case you can't find them!  ;D
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Feeding neighbours cat
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 11:18:25 AM »
Hey peeps, my neighbour has asked me to pop in to feed her cat next week while the family are away for 1/2 term.

I'm going round some time this week to run through things with them, feeding times etc, and know that she stays in most of the day and is out at night with no catflap....(I know, its the wrong way round, might drop that into the conversation!)

I'm going to ask for a contact number for them should there be any problems, together with details of their vet (just in case....).

Is there anything else I should be aware of as I've never taken responsiblity for anyone else's cat before.

Any advise gratefully received as always  ;D

Link to CatChat