Author Topic: Olive oil for furballs  (Read 1573 times)

Offline Gatos

• Adult Cat
Re: Olive oil for furballs
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 16:36:39 PM »
Our vet recommended Olive Oil for a cat we rehomed a few weeks ago for furballs. Just a bit sprayed on his food and he loves it. I don't think it can be harmful as JWB put it in their food. Fish Oil would probably do the same thing and really good for them. Willow goes mental when we have olives and usually manages to claw one out of the tub  :evillaugh: - they are like catnip to her.

Yeah, our Howie does this too - we caught him playing football with an olive in the kitchen a few weeks ago.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." ~ Albert Schweitzer

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 19:24:11 PM »
Its the burns website that says it may draw vitamin A out the body so to use for one week.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 08:14:54 AM »
Our vet recommended Olive Oil for a cat we rehomed a few weeks ago for furballs. Just a bit sprayed on his food and he loves it. I don't think it can be harmful as JWB put it in their food. Fish Oil would probably do the same thing and really good for them. Willow goes mental when we have olives and usually manages to claw one out of the tub  :evillaugh: - they are like catnip to her.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 11:39:06 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 21:57:27 PM »
Liquid PArrafin shouldnt be used long term due to stopping them absorbing certain things as well
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 18:32:27 PM »
Im sure i read it shouldnt be used longterm as it destroys a vitamin, il see if i can find article.

Lactulose shouldnt have anything to do with her cystitis, constipation would tho due to her straining alot.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 17:21:05 PM »
I discovered they liked oil by accident - had just used the olive oil for something and hadnt put it away - found George licking all round the top  :sick:

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 16:27:09 PM »
One of our vets gugested this to a cat we have only just rehomed (Jake) who suffered from furr balls. It did seems to work and much cheaper as well... Will not do any harm to try..
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 16:22:59 PM »
Hmmmm wonder if it works..............knowing mine they wouldnt like it .........sigh  :-:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Olive oil for furballs
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 16:21:17 PM »
I sometimes put olive oil on my hair for a few hours before washing, as a conditioning treatment. Not long ago, I was doing this and Samantha showed a massive amount of interest in the oil. She was positively excited.. :catlove:

After googling and failing to find anything wrong with olive oil and cats, I gave her a little. She loves it.

She's very prone to furballs and constipation, but Katalax is expensive and lactulose seems related to cystitis (by drawing fluids to her bowel). I often forget to buy other furball treatment and never have it in when needed.

Just thought I'd pass this on.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Link to CatChat