Author Topic: How old is old?!  (Read 12425 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: How old is old?!
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2007, 10:00:00 AM »
My strategy shouldn't be followed by newcomers to cat-responsibily.

Sorry but I do need to say that I am not a newcommer to cat responsibility and although I say it myself I have a wealth of pet experience but didn't but didn't see Badgers problem, as indeed did two different vets on the two weeks before it was evident what was wrong. The only way it was detected was by ultrasound scan and it was only on the 3rd visit to the vet that there were signs than a scan was necessary. We lay people just do not have the equipment that is often necessary to find out what is wrong.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2007, 09:57:47 AM »
I'm not by any means advocating ignoring problems which occur

Of course you're not. I think we just posted at same time! I imagine there's a term for that, perhaps "over posting?"

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2007, 09:51:11 AM »
Rosella, you were absolutely right to take cat to vet. I would have done the same under those circumstances. You noticed something wrong: vet needed. I'm not by any means advocating ignoring problems which occur, such as lumps (I found one on Polly's side not long ago, and made the vet remove it; the vet wasn't sure it was necessary, but also wasn't certain of it's nature. I wanted it removed incase it was malignant, despite the stress of the op).
I just question purely 'routine' visits.
My strategy shouldn't be followed by newcomers to cat-responsibily.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2007, 09:50:54 AM »
Yes Ela, I'm glad I went yesterday.

I would have gone in any event if the lump had been there for a few days but am trying to calm down a bit about taking them for minor cuts etc when there are no other probs however it is close to his eye and the weekend was coming.

BTW vet only charged £11.60 for visit. Great that vet so reasonable but costing me more as I can't be bothered to make an insurance claim for such a small amount!  LOL

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2007, 07:57:14 AM »
Sorry to butt in ...

You are not, it is a free forum open to all

I am very undecided about whether a vet visit is required or not but I suppose it is as much for my own piece of mind that I'm taking him as his health.

I personally feel it is best to air on the side of caution, if it isn't anything at least it is an extra MOT which is not a bad thing and if it was something and you had not gone to the vets you would not be able to live with yourself saying would have I could have,  should have

I wouldn't say it stresses him out terribly.

To be honest no matter how stressed my cats may get on a vet visit, if I thought a vet visit was needed and the vet could not visit for a reason I would not even consider not taking the cat, as it is best to be stressed than dead from something that may have been able to be treated by the vet.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2007, 21:11:14 PM »
HippyKitty, I'm sorry if my comments made you feel like you were under attack, they certainly weren't intended in that manner. I think Desley and other have put their and my point across more effectively than I did. :)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2007, 21:08:24 PM »
Back from vet and guess what (apart from Freddie rolling on his back for attention as I type)?

I forgot to mention that I discovered a recurrence of patch of skin irritation on Freddie's neck that I found last night that vet thinks might perhaps be connected to lump in skin near eye.  I still have some Fuciderm skin cream from last October's episode and will apply from tomorrow to neck area but the thought never occurred to me that it could possibly be anything other than a result of a "fight" but I'm glad I went to vet. 

I really only interupted this thread to try and make the point that, as we are not veterinary trained (at least most of us), it can be very difficult to call whether or not to put elderly cats thru regular tests or not. I for one would love it if there were a plan we should all follow as our Tom is 17 and on Metacam (albeit tiny doses).

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2007, 17:27:33 PM »
Sorry to butt in ...  I am taking Freddie to the vet in a bit as he has a very small lump on the skin at the top of his nose just by his eye. Other than that he is fine.  I am very undecided about whether a vet visit is required or not but I suppose it is as much for my own piece of mind that I'm taking him as his health. If it wasn't so close to his eye and it wasn't a Friday (with only emergency vet available from 11am tomorrow), I probably wouldn't bother just yet as it's sure to be a result of "playing hard" and will fix itself. He doesn't like going to the vet but I wouldn't say it stresses him out terribly.

It really is such a difficult one to call and we can only do what we think is best.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2007, 08:30:19 AM »
I am lucky that my own cats adapt to that and they do all get their own one on one time, but I do keep my numbers a lot lower than some people to make sure they can get that.

I personally only have 6 cats (although I am responsible for in excess of 50 at any one time) 2 of my own and 4 long term foster cats (although I do sometimes take one it that is brought to my door or a RTA until a pen can be found) so I too can give my cats time (apart from Brindley Leg who I can only touch when I give him any treatment as otherwise it is too traumatic for him and me too come to think of it ) in fact my Jessica spends almost 24/7 with me. Our RDM once told me that apart from the fact that many local authorities not liking more than 12 cats on any property and if you do you may need to get the home reclassified as a sanctuary) another reason Cats Protection do not encourage more is so that people do have time to give quality care which in my opinion is vital, as there is no point in rescuing a cat then not giving it everything it needs. Most of our fosterers have on average 4 foster cats except Virginia who lives on the farm and she has 5 double cat pens, our FIV unit where we can have up to 6 at a time and the ferals who after being kept in a huge barn with loads of different rooms and an upstairs are let out after a few weeks and then trapped when a home is offered which unfortunately is not as often as we would like. Very recently 8 Semi ferals were dumped in a huge box outside her farm gate, fortunately they were only about 5-6 months old and 6 of them tamed down enough to be homed as domestic pets. Our cat cuddlers did a good job in this case. Virginia does have help mucking out and routine vet visits which is an enormous help.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 16:09:22 PM by Ela »

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2007, 22:13:45 PM »
Desley, I agree with you that a combination of my approach and the more rigorous approach of others is probably best.
By the way, any cat with bad breath/weight loss should go to the vet. This could indicate any number of things: diabetes, gum disease, mouth cancer, kidney failure, leukaemia, etc etc
Very early symptoms of CRF would be a starry coat, changes in drinking and urination patterns, bad breath (if more advanced, from the ketones), and a general depression in puss.
If in any doubt, go to the vet.
My approach isn't for everyone; it's born from an intimate knowledge of my cats and greater than average medical knowledge. I research everything, veterinary or human conditions, which is suspected or diagnosed in myself, friends, family, and any cat I know (including the four owned by a close friend). I have known some people (my mother being one) who wouldn't take an animal to the vet until it was on it's last legs, despite me nagging, each time I visited her, that the dog was obviously ill. I don't understand that attitude.

Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2007, 20:45:57 PM »
Hippykitty, I didn't intend for you to feel attacked, and I am sorry if you do - we all have our own opinions and are entitled to them, this is going to be a point where we wont see eye to eye, because we have both had different experiences - incidentally, I have taken a cat on that when he arrived obviously had something wrong, and blood tests hadn't been done because the other person didn't want to stress him out - he sadly had to be pts a month after coming here due to how poorly he actually was - apart from his thinness and bad breath, you would never have known, he was doing things the vet said he couldn't be doing cos of how bad he was. I have also had a cat that had so many tests as the vet was convinced there was something wrong, sometimes by how she looked, others by what the vet felt, everything came back negative - we never did find out just what it was. I have been thinking about this since glancing at it earlier, and I actually think that maybe a combination of the two approaches is actually the most proactive way to be - as much as a vet check and blood tests are important, they probably should be done in conjunction with regular examinations by us (although I dont have cats that would tolerate things like that, sadly, but might see if I can try - I wouldn't check for some of the things you do though, purely cos I am not confident enough), otherwise you could miss out on things soon enough if you just go with the once a year vet visit routine. I actually do think you make another valid point about rescuers having lots of cats go through - my cats do get a lot less time because I foster - they dont suffer, but obviously my time has to be split more ways than before (generally 4 or 5 ways rather than 2). I am lucky that my own cats adapt to that and they do all get their own one on one time, but I do keep my numbers a lot lower than some people to make sure they can get that.
Please spay your cat

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2007, 07:09:36 AM »
Hippykitty - you shouldn't feel like you're being attacked just because people are disagreeing with your viewpoint and no there's no reason for you to stay off the forum.   All opinions are welcome.  But Desley and Ela make valuable points in that we need to be aware that this is a public forum and I'd hate for anyone to read this and feel that perhaps they didnt need to take their cat to the vet for a check up and should just keep an eye on them.  I don't personally think it's anything to do with how experienced you are or how well you know your cats - we all feel we know our cats well and can pick up if they are off colour, but there's no getting away from the fact that not all illnesses show physical symptoms in their early stages.  No matter how well you know your cat you can't pick up that your cat has early CRF, for example, without a blood test.  You may disagree - indeed, you are entitled to - but I'm sure most people would prefer to pick up something like that in it's very early stages rather than when the cat is showing symptoms.  So my advice has to be to get senior cats tested for things like that routinely and get a vet to check them over with a more objective eye.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 07:17:57 AM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2007, 04:29:39 AM »
Kittybabe, I feel like I'm the one being attacked here!  :brick: Purely because I treat my cats as individuals and know them extremely well. For example, I KNOW that Samantha isn't feeling 100% at the moment (the way she's holding her head, not guzzling food, is turning her back to me etc), and if this continues, I'll take her to the vet in a day or so. I think she has a furball, which I've just treated her for. If she doesn't regain her oomph! very soon, then she's visiting Mrs Vet!
Desley, I thoroughly accept your point that these posts are being read by those who don't know cats so well. Yours is the most compelling point made. But are you saying that we have to be textbooks on this forum, is there no room for varying opinion?
Ela, you make my point for me when you say that hundreds of cats pass through your hands...EXACTLY! I have only two, and I know their moods, body language, normal behaviour, etc very well, so know when the pattern is different.
By no means would I advocate that everyone treat their cats in the way I do. I'm a professional cat cushion! But just because a cat is over ten years old is no reason to label it as fast heading for rainbow bridge! I prefer not to stress mine with frequent cat visits as I believe this will shorten, not extend their lives.
But I know my cats' every mood. That's why I know Samantha doesn't feel well. That's the time for the vet. (Any newbies out there, take no notice of me, go to the vet till you learn about cats.) :ahh:

By the way, would the moderators rather I stay off this forum? I joined CC to pass on my experience, and maybe help cats and their people, but the consensus is that I'm doing the opposite.
That's okay, I should be 'working'.
Now I'm off to give Sam some TLC.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 04:46:17 AM by Hippykitty »

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2007, 14:44:50 PM »
I agree with the majority on this. You may be able to go to the doctor when you are ill because you know you are ill. You can communicate this verbally to your doctor. Cats won't tell you they are ill and very often hide illnesses well until its too late. Some signs are not physically possible to see.

I think its great that you feel confident enough to know if your cats are ill HippyKitty, but many on here aren't that confident and indeed I would question any absolute confidence unless you are a medical expert. The purpose of this forum is to share information and help one another and not criticise others for making decisions you would not make. It simply makes the forum unpleasant and people who genuinely need help will stay away.

Again we are all entitled to our own opinions.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 14:52:01 PM by Kittybabe »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2007, 08:37:29 AM »
Maybe what you say would be relevant for inexperienced owners,

But I don't agree with taking a healthy, happy cat to the vet "just in case".

The thing is that although many of us are extremely experienced pet owners and some of us dealing with hundreds of cats a year don't know 100% for sure if a cat is healthy until a professional confirms the fact and even they do on occasions get it wrong.

It struck me on CatChat that most of the other members on site were rescuers who see feline lives from a different angle -

I personally do not think that most of the members were in rescue, I appreciate some were and others had an interest but for one reason or another were not actively involved. I am sure people do not look at things from a different angle all they see is a cat that may need help, also please remember that many rescues have no funding or very little so they would not take a pet to the vet for no reason.

You seem not to see the regular, loving cat-people who take good care of their cats, though maybe not "by the book

We do and they are often the type of people we home to. I expect most of us don't do everything by the book but vet attention is a must if anything is suspected and an annual (perhaps more in some cases) MOT

Vets have their place. But I've come to the point where I can tell the vet what is wrong with the cat. Polly had ear cancer. I told the vet "I think my cat has cancer of the ear"; the vet did the tests and removed the ear-flap, and gave advice about keeping her out of the sun, (she has a white nose).

To be fair I think that almost a blind man would know that one.

What you do with your pets is your prerogative but not the actions I would take or advise anyone else.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2007, 07:51:56 AM »
Sadly I've known many cats who were taken to the vet too late because their owners thought they looked healthy.  Their lives were undoubtably cut short because of it.  You simply can't pick up everything from clinical signs as many conditions don't show any until they are far advanced.   I believe in being proactive re health care whether it be me or my cats.  Catching things early is always better for the cat than catching them later.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2007, 07:44:32 AM »
You are entitled to your opinions, but my main concern is we have people reading these who aren't that experienced, and might ignore vet visits if they read posts like that, and that could be detrimental to the cats health. I have had numerous cats come through here, but I dont feel confident to decide what is wrong with my cat, although I have known in some cases. And the main reason mine go to the vets whereas I dont always go to the docs (although I do have regular checkups due to a health condition, which does include blood tests at least every 9 months), is because I know when I am not feeling well, and can decide if I need to go - cats can't always tell you, and with things like liver and kidney probs, they can lose up to 75% of the function before you would notice any symptoms, and I would prefer it to be picked up a lot sooner than that. Incidentally, I am one of the rescuers you refer to at the end of your post, and I dont see the worst in all situations, I just prefer to be proactive when it comes to my oldies health, they have already come to me as senior cats for whatever reason, and I want them to have as long as possible, and health issues to be picked up on early enough to be dealt with.
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2007, 01:50:37 AM »
Maybe what you say would be relevant for inexperienced owners, but I KNOW when my cats are ill. I also acknowlege that, for example, Polly's kidneys aren't fully functioning, and Sam has always been prone to urinary infections. My cats are not insured, therefore the vet visits don't occur simply to fulfil the requirements of bureaucracy. (They are probably FIV/FLV+ anyway; the one having been feral, the other semi-feral.) Polly's only blood test occurred pre-op, when she had a lump removed from her side (found while cuddle-inspected), and the vet phoned me to ask whether to go ahead in the light of the results (wobbly kidneys), I told her to proceed, knowing that she'd be okay, as she was strong despite her age.

Vets have their place. But I've come to the point where I can tell the vet what is wrong with the cat. Polly had ear cancer. I told the vet "I think my cat has cancer of the ear"; the vet did the tests and removed the ear-flap, and gave advice about keeping her out of the sun, (she has a white nose).

If a cat won't eat despite being given furball treatment, or has hot ears and third eyelids, or vomits too often, or won't play, or is dirty indoors, or in anyway shows changes in personality or behaviour - the vet is needed.

But I don't agree with taking a healthy, happy cat to the vet "just in case". Do you go to the doctor every 6mths "just in case"? Not unless you have an illness which requires regular treatment.

It struck me on CatChat that most of the other members on site were rescuers who see feline lives from a different angle - you see the worst in all situations. You seem not to see the regular, loving cat-people who take good care of their cats, though maybe not "by the book". This is possibly why I have many disagreements with others here and on CC.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2007, 11:43:23 AM »
I am with Ela, I get slightly worried reading posts when people dismiss regular visits and blood tests for senior cats - while some get stressed, I feel it is in the cats best interest - we simply can't tell what is going on by feel alone and things may have progressed quite far if you can. I want my 'oldies' to live as long as possible, and to me, that is possible by acknowledging that yes, they do need things like blood tests and senior food, they dont necessarily have to be treated differently, just more of a watchful eye. I dont treat my two much different from the adult foster I have in to be honest.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2007, 09:54:08 AM »
Susanne, although I understand your watchful approach to your over tens, I don't think it's the best for the cats.

I am a little concerned how this topic is progressing, we will never agree on this, many of us know that by feel alone we cannot possibly know what is going on inside and with the bloods. e.g (one of dozens) if a cat has a spleen problem even a vet finds it very difficult to diagnose as it is hidden under the rib cage and ultra sound is often necessary. The layman would only find it when it was too late to do anything about the problem. So I and am sure many others will continue to be guided by our vet. Far better in my opinion for a little stress because of a vet visit than find a cat has something that could have nipped in the bud if only we had sought vets advice. I feel that perhaps this topic needs to be concluded before it gets out of hand.

I am sure we all do what we feel is in our cats intererest but the cats interest must be on informed knowledge and that usually comes from a vet initially.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 14:51:36 PM by Ela »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2007, 09:47:44 AM »
I get your point about the stress of vets visits but that's just something that has to be weighed up against the benefit of preventative health care.  A cat that gets extremely stressed going to the vet may well be better off not going, but all cats benefit from an annual health check (and indeed need that for insurance purposes - us checking them doesn't count for insurance purposes, they have to be seen by a vet) and blood tests can be done then.  For those older or with values that need closer monitoring twice a year is probably good if possible.  Jaffa gets stressed at the vet and really doesn't like going there but he gets over it and is fine once he's home so for him the benefits outweigh the stress.  I'd much rather pick up that a cat is in early CRF from blood test results than have to rush him to the vets when he's ill and have to leave him there overnight on a drip - the latter would be much more stressful and I think the prognosis would be poorer.

Cats don't know we're calling them old!  TBh, for a while I resisted calling Jaffa a senior cat (I still dont except in discussions like this).  When Mosi was on kitten food I was looking forward to him going onto adult food so that I could feed them both the same.  Now I realise that the best thing for Jaffa is for me to acknowledge his age and give him the appropriate health care - that can only help him live a long and healthy life.  I don't treat him as old - I still treat him like the lively nutter he is who loves to play.  In fact, I'm quite proud of the fact that he's almost in double figures and still a lively, healthy little boy  ;D

We all do what we think is best for our cats, and if we think that going to the vets will stress them unduly then fair enough.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2007, 08:46:49 AM »
Susanne, although I understand your watchful approach to your over tens, I don't think it's the best for the cats. They don't know how old they are, and would prefer not to be monitored constantly with the frequent stressful visits to the vets which you advocate. Old cats want to rest and sleep, not be bundled off for more hassle at the vets. Stress will make any cat ill very easily.
I've always surreptitiously examined my cats while cuddling them. Are their lymph nodes enlarged? Do the insides of their ears look yellow? Do they have lumps where lumps shouldn't be? Is their liver bulging? I ignore small changes. And I don't let them know that they're not just being cuddled.
I learned this when I had FLV cats. They were constantly watched, to the point that the cats were whisked to vet each time they threw up hairballs. The watching made the poor cats suffer.
I know my cats are old. But I'll never let them know. Each new year I hope they'll see the next. But cats should be allowed to be whatever age they are and make the most of it without the negativity of their people.
That's my main objection of labelling a cat 'old': it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. As with old people, if we call them old, they stop living life to the full.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2007, 08:16:32 AM »
Maybe I subconsciously learned how to treat cats because of my prior experience, hence my old ladies.

With all due respect, many who post on here are very experienced not only as pet owners but  deal with numerous  (perhaps hundreds of cats a year), if experience was the key to longevity our cats would live very long lives, also our vets of course have much experience, so again they would all live long lives.

But I think that they have a learned resistance to certain illnessness gained by time; hence the comment that having got passed a certain stage, cats are likely to live to be old.

As previously advised, that bit I do agree with but I can't see where the age 10 on your previous post bit comes in

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2007, 07:39:15 AM »
Either way, for a vet to call a 10yr cat "old" is blatantly stupid.

I don't think it's stupid at all.  The wording may not sit well with owners (older or senior would sound better!) but no matter how lively the cat is on the outside I think it would be irresponsible for a vet to lead the owners to believe it was still a young cat inside and that there will be no deterioration in organ function.  Regular blood tests are a great idea for cats over 10 so that these things can be monitored and picked up early.  Jaffa will be 10 in June and at times he bounces around like a kitten - he certainly gives Mosi a good run for his money - but I know that he doesn't have the kidneys, liver etc of a young cat and that in veterinary terms he's an older cat.  He looks absolutely fine from the outside but I know that his urea and creatinine levels are towards the high end of normal so have started to feed him a low phosphorus and/or senior food with this in mind.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 07:40:10 AM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2007, 07:30:10 AM »
i can see why you would think that, but I dont think it is that cut and dried - just because a cat has got past a certain age doesn't say anything as to how long they will live till - wish it did though. My experiences are different from yours though, as i only adopt oldies, only one of my permanent cats has been under the age of 10, and I only had her for 8 months.
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2007, 04:21:18 AM »
I made that comment because the cats I've had who didn't live to P and S's old age have tended to die between the ages of 2 and 6, usually of tumours related to FLV, or, in the case of Max, a mouth cancer. I've lost four cats in this age group, whereas it seems to me that, having past this critical stage, Sam and Poll have made it to serious old age.
Maybe I subconsciously learned how to treat cats because of my prior experience, hence my old ladies. But I think that they have a learned resistance to certain illnessness gained by time; hence the comment that having got passed a certain stage, cats are likely to live to be old.

Others may have a contrary experience.
Either way, for a vet to call a 10yr cat "old" is blatantly stupid.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2007, 08:14:44 AM »
10 is no age at all. If a cat has survived to 10, chances are, it'll make it to real old age. I've found that cats are more susceptible to problems when younger. Lots of them fall prey to cancers, and FLV.

I tend to not to agree with most of these comments. although I agree that young cats  (kittens) are susceptible to many infections that perhaps if a little older could have been warded off.

We have over the years many cats over the age of ten who have the gone on to have cancer. So many cats  live to 10 then do not make it past very early teens. In fact I would think on the whole I hear of more cats dying in the 10-15 age bracket than anything else.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2007, 07:57:30 AM »
HippyKitty - I would disagree with your comment about if a cat has survived to 10, they will make it to real old age, it hasn't been the case in my experience (esp not with losing Pebbles at not even 12, she was taken on as a 10yo, and while always sickly, numerous blood tests and x-rays failed to show anything). And as I said yesterday, the oldest any of mine have gotten to is 15, and that was one cat, the majority have gone at the age of 14 - but all have been taken on as senior cats, so might not have had a good background.
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2007, 04:32:53 AM »
Polly and Sam are so old I'm losing count! Polly was approx 6 when I took them in in 1993; though she was a rescued feral, so this was a vet's guess. Sam was about 3. So they must be....20 and 17, unless my maths is cockeyed! Polly shows her age a little sometimes by looking a little fragile, but Sam still looks and acts like a young cat. They think they're still kittens, and wrestle, chase catnip mice, and have mad half-hours.

I treat them no differently than I would young cats, apart from giving them extra love, brushing, and a gentle massage if they look down.

10 is no age at all. If a cat has survived to 10, chances are, it'll make it to real old age. I've found that cats are more susceptible to problems when younger. Lots of them fall prey to cancers, and FLV.

I'd find another vet. If a vet makes comments like "a cat is old at 10" I'd doubt his knowledge of feline health.

Offline suzi

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2007, 21:54:21 PM »
My mum has two cats aged 19 and 21 years! The older boy is deaf and doesn't move about much, but the vet says he's in great condition for his age! The younger cat, at 19 years has got as much energy as my one year old!!! He runs about mad, playing with his toys and chasing the lazer pen! You would never guess his age to look at him!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2007, 19:47:37 PM »
My Elsa is 19 (20 this year - I hope  ;D ) she's was diagnosed hyperthryoid last year and is on meds, may have poss kidney failure now, but until last year she'd never had to go to the vet, cept for boosters.

She's my oldest at the mo, but I had a Persian called Amber who was 24 when I adopted her and lived for another 3 yrs. Another of my rescue Persians, Poppy, was 10 when I adopted her and lived till she was 18, and Millie, my sealpoint persian was 15 when I took her on, and lived till she was 19.

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2007, 20:15:27 PM »
Milo and Bella celebrated their 25th last month (and had loads of birthday wishes from this lovely site)  :hug: although Milo has arthritis and Bella CRF they still do have the odd moment that makes my day. Bella especially will her little run around with the leaves or yesterday a bit of cat litter that took ages for her to kill lol  :rofl:

They are my boney people  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: think I should apply for a pension for them as they didn't receive a telegram from the queen either lol

xxxxxxxx

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2007, 19:14:08 PM »
Us too.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2007, 19:09:54 PM »
I dint class cats as old until they are at least 12

12  and above the age I use to say we will pay any vet bills due to age related problems for all cats we home

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2007, 18:39:04 PM »
I dont class cats as old until they are at least 12 (hence only having had 2 under that age - and I had to break my own rules for the 10yo!!). The oldest one of mine has been has been 15, but I do seem to have a knack of adopting cats that turn out to have health issues - this is the first time in over 3 years I have had a pair of cats with no health issues!!
Please spay your cat

fuzziesdad

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2007, 18:11:05 PM »
kizzy is in her 18th year and runs around with the two youngsters up tree's and runs every bit as fast as they do.
she is beginning to show her age thin backside and going grey around the face but just as feisty as ever,due to her being mis-treated while a kitten dragged about by her ears and tail and shouted at right in her ears while asleep,so a second kittenhood was always in the offing and she grabbed it with both paws.
roger.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 18:11:50 PM by fuzziesdad »

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
  • Sam - missing since 29th August 2007 xx
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2007, 17:35:16 PM »
Based on that table my Sam is going through the 'Kevin the teenager' phase. 
that would explain his moody times whe he does not want cuddles and attacks my legs  >:(

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2007, 16:10:43 PM »
It depends what you mean by old as a cats organs do start to deteriorate by about the age of 8, I believe, which is why they are often referred to as senior or geriatric.  When Jaffa had his blood tests last year I asked for a senior blood panel and it says on the copy of the results I have that it is a "geriatric" profile  :rofl: I've been careful not to let Jaffa see that!  I've accepted that Jaffa is now a senior cat (he'll be 10 in June) and that I need to pay a bit more attention to preventative health care now, but I don't consider him old.  In fact after yesterday's little play with Mosi (they were both racing around chasing each other then had a  game of hide and seek with a chair) he's definitely not old!  From tables I've seen comparing cats ages with human ages I think 15 is comparable with a 75 yr old human so I'd say mid teens is "old" but not old in a negative way as many 15 year old cats are still very sprightly  ;D

edit - the following table is from messybeast.  It makes sense to me, although I'm not too sure about the very high ages - it says that age 30 in a cat is equivilent to 136 in a human.  30  may be extrememly rare for a cat but it doesn't seem to be impossible.  However, I've never heard of a person reaching 136!

http://www.messybeast.com/towards-end.htm

CAT'S AGE       EQUIVALENT HUMAN AGE           COMMENTS

2-3 months       9-12 months            Kittens/humans weaned. Kittens are becoming less dependent on the mother.

4 months          2-3 years                Talking/adult communication in children. Under natural conditions, the kitten is fully independent of the mother.

6-12 months    12-15 years              Sexual maturity, most females now fertile and able to have young although they may not be fully-grown.

2 years            24 years                  Could have raised children.

3-6 years         28-40 years              Human career-making

6-9 years         40-52 years             Middle age spread, menopause for some women.

9-13 years       52-65 years             Human menopause and retirement. Most cats are beginning to take things easier.

13-17 years     65-85 years             Active but ageing. Signs of senility in some individuals, senses less acute, injuries heal more slowly or incompletely. Internal organs less efficient.

17-19 years     83-92 years             Probably frail due to loss of bone density, subcutaneous fat and muscle tone. Skin more fragile. Hearing, sight and mobility affected. Less supple.

19-22 years    92-100 years            Amazing.

22+ years      100+ years               An exceptional individual

30 years        136 years                 Several cats have recently attained this age.

34-36 years   152-160 years           Official longevity records noted in the Guinness Book of Records.

43 years       188 years                  Unofficial (unverified) longevity claim; cat was apparently still active and was killed by a train.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 16:26:47 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007, 13:32:12 PM »
In this case Lexy is hitting puberty at 4 in April and hopefully many years ahead of us.

My mum's cat Sasha passed on at 21 and my friend had two solid black brothers who both passed on at 20 and 21.

I think its a pretty ripe age and 16 is middle aged for a cat. I think your lovely has some wonderful time ahead of him, just looking at that pic  ;D

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 11:17:49 AM »
My previous vet told me once that a cat was considered geriatric over 10 years which I found alarming.

So would I, I think 10 is about middle age ish

Link to CatChat