Author Topic: More problems with Jaffa - spraying again  (Read 1786 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: More problems with Jaffa - spraying again
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 20:00:41 PM »
glad to hear Jaffa is getting back to his old self again  :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 19:59:01 PM »
Quite an entertaining evening so far.  Jaffa has definitely got his mojo back  ;D  He and Mosi had a bit of a chase around.  Jaffa wasn't at all defensive and there was no hissing, but he was obviously determined to assert himself.  He didn't hurt Mosi but he definitely emerged victorious.  It's like he felt the need to remind Mosi that he is in charge.  At one point he was sat on Mosi and you could just see Mosi's face peeping out  from underneath with a look of resignation.  It's nice to see Jaffa behaving confidently  ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 13:33:11 PM »
Snding lots of love to Jaffa  :hug: :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 08:29:27 AM »
Due to his recent cystitis issue, I would suggest it is connected with that, as it can take a while for the cystitis to go away, and spraying is done with stress related cystitis.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 20:47:18 PM »
So maybe a combined approach of spraying the area he's spraying with feliway daily (I've been using it regularly but have not been doing it every day and didn't do it yesterday) and giving him more attention in the morning - provided he will hold off spraying long enough to let meactually do that!

Well, as a psychologist (albeit not practising) I would say that (a) you are not being anthropomorphic and (b) Jaffa is definitely jealous of Mosi, who perhaps bullied him in his weakened state to get the superior position in the bed.

It's not a case of spraying to get attention so much as frustration, I'd suggest.  So not a case for Feliway but more a case of ensuring Jaffa isn't elbowed out of his prime position on the bed.  You'll need to pick him up and help him reassert his place.

I think you could be right up to a point, although Jaffa has never come for morning cuddles so Mosi hasn't taken his place.  Jaffa's nighttime routine is to settle on the bed at night beside me on his bottle, and he pretty much stays there all night.  Sometimes he will wake before me and then he tends to go out into the living room/kitchen area.  I think he likes to sit in the kitchen window as dawn breaks (very possibly a legacy from the first 8 years of his life when he was shut out of the bedroom at night).  If he is in the bedroom - sometimes he comes when I call him - he will walk all over the bed and often stands with his front paws on the bedside table and his bum in my face! but he doesn't really stay still.  He just walks round me and gets on and off the bed.  He woudn't curl up in or on the bed with me.  Mosi will sometimes sleep elsewhere but in the morning he always comes up to my face for cuddles.  Sometimes he will lie down for while and other times he will just sit by my face for a moment, but he always comes for his morning cuddles.  Sometimes he climbs in during the night and I wake up to find him sleeping tucked under my chin.  So Mosi hasn't taken Jaffa's place, but I guess he's aware of Mosi getting attention and the fact that he's not. And I do think that Mosi may well be taken advantage of what he sees as Jaffa in a weakened state.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 19:26:12 PM »
What does worry me though is that both the recent incidents occurred at about 6am in the morning when I was in bed.  The first time I was actually asleep and was woken by Jaffa whining.  I heard him gradually in the back of my mind when I wasn't fully awake and then I woke up and realised the noise was Jaffa.  I got up almost straight away and discovered he had sprayed the wardrobe.  Mosi was asleep in bed under the duvet with me.  This morning was very similar.  I woke up and discovered it was about 5.50am (alarm set for 6am).  I didn't put the light on, but Mosi came up to me for a cuddle and then we had a game of bed mice.  In the dark, I could just about make out that Jaffa wasn't on the bed, so I called his name a couple of times so that he could have a cuddle too.  He didn't come but I eventually heard that unmistakeable sound of a cat weeing.  I got up, and sure enough - he'd sprayed the wardrobe.  It almost seems like he's jealous of Mosi and attention seeking.  Could that be possible?  Am I being anthropomorphic here in thinking that he might consciously spray to get my attention?  He's never sprayed when I've been out of the house.

Well, as a psychologist (albeit not practising) I would say that (a) you are not being anthropomorphic and (b) Jaffa is definitely jealous of Mosi, who perhaps bullied him in his weakened state to get the superior position in the bed.

It's not a case of spraying to get attention so much as frustration, I'd suggest.  So not a case for Feliway but more a case of ensuring Jaffa isn't elbowed out of his prime position on the bed.  You'll need to pick him up and help him reassert his place.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 19:11:42 PM »
I would think the spraying and cystitis are linked. Did he have a sample taken at the vets? I would want to rule out a physical problem, and then try to work out whatever his behaviourial issue is

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 19:08:11 PM »
Think I'd get some more feliway spray Susanne, and spray the areas he's targeting - but remember to keep it up every day - until he is not spraying anymore.  I know its easy to spray all the places for a week or so and then forget (I'm guilty of that!) but unless you do it continuously is not as effective. I guess it might just be the tension between the 2 of them which is causing Jaffa to react like this, although attention seeking is a possibility - my Harry used to go to spray in front of me because he knew it would get a reaction (didnt matter if I was yelling - it was still attention in his eyes LOL!)  - he doesnt do it so much now. The homeopathic vet prescribed something for him years ago, which completely stopped him spraying for a long time.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
More problems with Jaffa - spraying again
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 18:13:46 PM »
My poor little boy is just not himself.  His weeing might be back to normal, but this morning he sprayed again :(  He sprayed about 3 weeks ago after hurting a claw.  I think the problem weeing and all the spraying may be related to that incident. 

A brief(ish) history.  Jaffa sprayed for the first time about 18 months ago.  Both occasions occured in the morning when I was at home and when he was having a bit of a scuffle with Mosi.  First occasion he was cornered so sprayed the wardrobe, and about a week later a similar thing happened and he sprayed some cardboard boxes in the hall.  Between then and a few weeks ago, no spraying.

There has always been a bit of tension between Jaffa and Mosi as they both dominant cats and Mosi is a cheeky so and so as well.  Mosi does jump on Jaffa a fair bit (mostly in play and he's easily distracted and tends to play the submissive cat) which often results in a hiss and Jaffa getting a bit p'd off (excuse the pun).  Other times it will just turn into a play session.  In general, Jaffa isn't stressed out by Mosi's presence and displayes relaxed and confident body language most of the time.  Even seconds after a disagreement they will be in close proximity without any sign of tension from Jaffa.  The extent to which Mosi picks on Jaffa does vary - seems to go through phases of being annoying and then phases when they get on fine.  Jaffa seems fine with Mosi the cat, it's just the behaviour he doesn't like.  I do wonder whether Mosi senses that Jaffa isn't himself and is picking on him more because of that.

About 3 weeks ago we had the claw incident.  I don't know what happened but a laundry basket Jaffa was using as a bed was on the floor when I came in from work and he had hurt his claw.  I don't know whether Mosi was involved, but whatever happened it probably scared Jaffa and the following morning he sprayed the wardrobe door.  Since then, there have been no incidents until last friday when he had the problem weeing.  We don't know the cause of that because his urine hasn't been tested, but he's on antibiotics and metacam now and I'm guessing it was likely stress related.  Then this morning, he sprayed the wardrobe again.

Putting my amatuer cat psychology hat on, I suspect that the little lad was feeling a bit more stressed as a result of the basket incident, and now everything that happens - such as Mosi jumping on him, fireworks, trip to vets - is just making him that bit more on edge.  What does worry me though is that both the recent incidents occurred at about 6am in the morning when I was in bed.  The first time I was actually asleep and was woken by Jaffa whining.  I heard him gradually in the back of my mind when I wasn't fully awake and then I woke up and realised the noise was Jaffa.  I got up almost straight away and discovered he had sprayed the wardrobe.  Mosi was asleep in bed under the duvet with me.  This morning was very similar.  I woke up and discovered it was about 5.50am (alarm set for 6am).  I didn't put the light on, but Mosi came up to me for a cuddle and then we had a game of bed mice.  In the dark, I could just about make out that Jaffa wasn't on the bed, so I called his name a couple of times so that he could have a cuddle too.  He didn't come but I eventually heard that unmistakeable sound of a cat weeing.  I got up, and sure enough - he'd sprayed the wardrobe.  It almost seems like he's jealous of Mosi and attention seeking.  Could that be possible?  Am I being anthropomorphic here in thinking that he might consciously spray to get my attention?  He's never sprayed when I've been out of the house.

Sorry this has been a bit long.  I hate to think of my little boy being upset.  Any ideas?  I bought some feliway spray after the last spryaing incident (used that when I first got Mosi and for about 18 months afterwards but then stopped using it - I can't remember whether that was before or after the first spraying incident) .  I used to use a plug in but haven't been able to get a new refill for that yet.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 18:16:08 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Link to CatChat