Author Topic: New clumping litter in PAH  (Read 4168 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: New clumping litter in PAH
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2008, 07:29:29 AM »
We've used Thomas litter now for 19 years, partly because they sell it in all the shops where we live including the Coop but also because we prefer it to any we've tried even more expensive ones.   I will try that in PAH though which I don't think we have.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 07:30:44 AM by janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2008, 07:14:15 AM »
I'm not sure that it is as eco friendly as they would have us believe - that's why they call it natural  :evillaugh:

There are a lot of health scares around ultra clumping litter - especially dangerous for kittens if they ingest it.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 07:14:34 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline psychopunk

• Adult Cat
  • pipsqueak & cuscus (not in the picture)
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2008, 00:48:11 AM »
I also use Sainsbury's ultra clumping cat litter. 5L = £3.99 My cats like it and I don't have any problems cleaning up after them. Have to say it is quite sandy, if the cat was digging very hard, the stuff would go everywhere (thank god my cats don't do that). Only thing I haven't understood is it biodegradable or not. On the package it says microgranules made from natural clay.  So far I've been throwing them out in separate pet waste bags and I don't feel very green about it. In 20 years there's gonna be hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of pet waste bags full with my cats' poo  :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 00:23:16 AM »
I think Cats Best is the best - no contest. I wish I hadn't bough the multi-cat stuff.

what is it like? fine/pellets/scented?

why do you regret buying it?

I have tried lots of clay ultra clumping litters. They are OK but very heavy and hard to clear up. I just find cats best simple to use and clean up. You can also flush it although I wouldn't recommend flushing big clumps. It's also eco friendly, biodegradable, renewable ec etc.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 22:52:40 PM »
i do remove the clumps i just know that they struggle cause when i get home from work i notice them trying to dig beforei get chance toclear them and add new. 

i think your right with the cheaper ones...i used asda tigger cat litter and trying to scoop out the clumps it broke my scoop!  >:( and it was very difficult to clear the tray for the rest of that day  :sick: if they sainsbury's one is sandy, does that mean it goes everywhere when the dig because i have found the finer ones just scatter everywhere.

so cats best gold then? lets see what that brings????
Feel the fear and do it anyway!
you don't learn anything until you live it

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 22:26:09 PM »
cat litter confuses me  :Crazy:

the kittens struggle with clumping litter cause even with 2 trays after a little while they can't dig anymore and they looooove to dig (cheeky monkeys).  

Why can't they dig with the clumping you've used? If you remove the clumps and then top up with more litter they can still dig surely? Some clumping litters set like concrete (the cheaper ones) - I know as I've been looking after some cats this week and I'd have needed one of those road drills to get the stuff out the bottom of the tray LOL! Sainsbury's Ultra Clumping is pretty good, nice sandy type litter, makes good clumps that are easy to remove.

Tracking is my bugbear too! but I've been road testing (?) Cats Best Gold, which is pretty similar to Cats Best Okoplus, but is supposed to be less tracking, especially for longhairs, and am finding it pretty good so far on the tracking front.

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 21:07:24 PM »
I think Cats Best is the best - no contest. I wish I hadn't bough the multi-cat stuff.

what is it like? fine/pellets/scented?

why do you regret buying it?

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 21:04:49 PM »
i did try tiggerino nuggies which i loved the smell of but i was sick of hoovering/sweeping up the stuff! did my head in and refused to go back to it, that also goes for catsan, talk about nothing better to do!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 21:00:44 PM »

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 20:58:50 PM »
cat litter confuses me  :Crazy:

the kittens struggle with clumping litter cause even with 2 trays after a little while they can't dig anymore and they looooove to dig (cheeky monkeys).  

they use wilko's pink litter at the moment which i go through i bag every 3 days it is good for them because it is non-clumping but because they are pure white angels ( :rofl:) they now havea pink hue about them  :tired:  i am keen to try different litter but i am also trying to stay away from whitish litter because they leave white paw prints all over the kitchen. i quite like the wood pellets like Bio-catolit (green bag) or beauticat because there isn't any tracking and little mess from digging and most importantly no paw prints! but they are not very keen on digging in the pellets

is it too much to ask for a litter that...  :shocked:

doesn't stain their little paws
doesn't clump too much that they can't dig anymore
doesn't lleave too much tracking
they can't get an upset tummy from eating it (i was told to avoid anti bac and silicone litters)
not expensive/cost effective

any clues?
is it worth trying this multicat you speak of????
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 20:59:34 PM by toothfairy »

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 20:57:17 PM »
I am really lucky in  that our little towns pet shop has cats best! :wow:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 20:22:39 PM »
This is it - they only have the multicat one. If you use ultra clumping, 24kg for £10 (while offer is on) is good. I wish I hadn't have bought it and just held on for some cats best.

http://www.sharplesgrant.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww.sharplesgrant.com%2facatalog%2fsearch.html&WD=litter&PN=Cat_Litter.html%23a589633_2e#a589633_2e

It's made in Canada -  http://natracat.com/multi.htm
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 20:25:16 PM by Mark »

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 19:20:50 PM »
My nearest branch of PAH have just had a refit and it looks like there is room for more stuff and some new lines.  I'd have liked to have a mooch around but I just popped in for some feliway and needed to get the next bus back.  Will check it out next time I go.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 19:16:58 PM »
I only got it because they were out of Cats Best - I thought I had seen the last of clay litter  :tired:. I can't rely on PAH having stuff in stock so will order online in future. As for the new litter, the woman said they had to order extra stock as it is flying out of the door at that price. I asked when it finished - she said "while stocks last"
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 19:18:07 PM by Mark »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 18:23:23 PM »
I got 4 tubs, havent used it yet tho

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 17:06:30 PM »
 :rofl:   glad Im not the only blonde one about here!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 18:46:11 PM by Kirst »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 17:04:00 PM »
BOGOF

I used to think people were posting about a certain brand, it was not very long ago I clicked  ;D
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
New clumping litter in PAH
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 12:53:33 PM »
Mullti Litter by Clean n Tidy

12kg containers £9.99 - BOGOF at the moment.

It has added baking powder and "botanicals" for smells.

One good thing is advises to set up one more tray than number of cats in household.

Link to CatChat