Author Topic: Jaffa has hurt his foot - broken claw. UPDATE - now spraying  (Read 2700 times)

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
Re: Jaffa has hurt his foot - broken claw. UPDATE - now spraying
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2008, 13:57:07 PM »
Well done Jaffa, show Mosi who's boss  :Luv:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2008, 23:51:36 PM »
glad Jaffa is getting better  :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2008, 23:04:36 PM »
He seems more confident today, esp around Mosi.  If Mosi jumps him, he just biffs him or chases him, and his body language is more confident.  He even instigated some play with Mosi tonight.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 23:01:13 PM »
Hope that Jaffa gets his confidence back quick  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 20:08:09 PM »
I think the way in which it happened must have shaken him.  He must have been getting into or out of the laundry basket, or been asleep when it fell off.  And it's high up being on top of the kitchen wall units so he must have had a real fright when it fell.  I also wonder whether Mosi was involved.  Mosi is being a little devil at the moment and usually Jaffa can cope with him but he seems a bit upset right now.  All it takes is a few minor incidents like that to make the poor lad feel really nervous and agitated.  I'm giving him lots of extra cuddles and Mosi is getting put in time out if he picks on Jaffa too much.  No more spraying so far.

I dashed off to PAH yesterday, Lynn, to buy some feliway. 

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 19:01:47 PM »
Blip is very concerned about Jaffa, because she knows he wouldn't spray unless he was upset.  She knows how much it hurts to break a claw and, like me, hopes he's feeling better by now.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 16:42:38 PM »
poor Jaffa, hope he's better soon
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 16:38:29 PM »
Have you got any feliway susanne ?  I'd give the place a quick spray over with it if you have.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 12:32:59 PM »
Poor Jaffa  :hug:  Hope the spraying is a one off and that his claw is better soon :care:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 12:28:47 PM »
awww, poor little man, hope his claw is better soon, and that he doesn't spray again  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 10:05:51 AM »
Poor Jaffa man  :hug:

Hope he feels better soon.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 00:36:12 AM »
I agree with you that the spraying and the claw incident are probably related, also being shut out wouldnt have helped if he was feeling insecure.

Hope the claw sorts itself out and so understand about noy having enough hands  ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Jaffa has hurt his foot and won't let me look at it - broken claw
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 17:55:06 PM »
Problem is that he won't let me trim them.  I can trim his front claws fine but I can't manage his back ones as I don't  have enough hands to hold him still and trim it.  I still haven't had a proper look at it but it's not bothering him and I'm still trying.

Unfortunately the little lad sprayed again this  morning.  You may recall that I had a couple of incidents early last year, but both were in the heat of the moment, so to speak, when he and Mosi were having a bit of a tiff and he hasn't done it since.  This  morning I was woken at 5.30am by Jaffa whining.  He makes this whining noise when he wants attention.  Mosi was asleep in bed with me and it was Jaffa whining that woke me up.  I got up to shut them both out the back so that I could get some more sleep and noticed that Jaffa had sprayed the wardrobe (same place as last time).  It was definitely spraying rather than weeing as there wasn't much urine and the door of the wardrobe was wet. 

I'm pretty certain it is behavioural and think that it may be related to the claw incident.  I don't know exactly what happened yesterday, but I think the laundry basket on top of the kitchen cabinets (that he likes to sleep in) had fallen off.  It was on the floor on it's side when I got home and the wine bottles by the bin had been knocked over (but no broken glass).  I think he may have caught his claw somehow when the basket fell.  I'm wondering if that incident has made him a bit nervous and triggered the spraying.  I've been to PAH to buy some feliway and will be keeping a very close eye on him to make sure it's not a urinary problem.  I'm not going to rush him off to the vet because that will cause him a lot of stress (esp having to get there by public transport) so I have to balance the risk of not taking him against the stress of taking him.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 16:32:12 PM »
Blip pulled her entire claw out, years ago (ouch!), so I'm not sure what to do with a partially broken one.  Sam's and Ruth's advice sounds - intuitively - right to me.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 22:21:57 PM »
Rw has done this to himself before.. As long is there is no bad damage to the quick itself. I trimmed the loose piece as much as I could so it didn't get caught and worsen. Just keep a weather eye on him to make sure it goes ok.
If he starts limping then its vet time.... ;)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 22:14:28 PM »
if he'll let you trim it - just to take the point off so he doesn't catch it again ...then just leave him to look after it.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Jaffa has hurt his foot and won't let me look at it
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 21:42:46 PM »
I think he's damaged the claw a bit.  From what I can tell, the claw looks like it's not straight - it's pointing to the side.  It's still attached though.  I guess he's caught it on something and I think I know what.

ok - I've had a bit of a look (he won't let me have a proper look) and I think he has split the claw.  I'm guessing the blood was from the quick. Will it all just grow back if I leave it?  He's been licking it a bit and it looks clean.  It's obviously not causing him any pain and he's not limping at all (and can jump onto things no problem) so does it need any further attention?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 21:45:55 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 18:36:25 PM »
He doesn't do pick ups but he will sit on my knee voluntarily.  In fact, he's sat right in front of me right now but the irony is the bulb in the bedroom has just gone so I only have the light from my bedside lamp (other side of room) so I can't see a darned thing!  I can make out that the problem seems to be at the base of a claw, although he doesnt' seem to be missing a claw. 

I'm a bit relieved to tell the truth because when I first saw the blood on the bed sheet, I got it into my head that he was trying to wee and was peeing blood.  I was getting into a bit of a panic and thinking about emergency vets etc.  So it's a relief to know that he's just hurt his foot in some way.  But I'll be happier when I can have a good look at it and give it a bathe.

edit - he seems absolutely fine now.  I still want to get a look at his foot when I get a chance but I'm happy that it's nothing too worrying. I panicked a bit when I saw blood.  Esp as he's an indoor cat - I don't know how he's managed to hurt himself.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 21:33:34 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 18:31:28 PM »
will he let yu pick him up and sit sit him on your lap ... with his back against your chest?  Then you can look at his foot.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Jaffa has hurt his foot - broken claw. UPDATE - now spraying
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 18:28:51 PM »
Any tips on how I can get a proper look?  It's his back foot.  He's not limping but I  noticed a small amount of blood on the bed after he'd been sat there and now can see that there is some blood on his foot near one of his claws, but he won't let me get close enough to look at it properly.  As I only have one pair of hands it's dificult to restrain him and look at the foot.  I'm also wary of stressing him out too much (he hates being restrained in any way) as he's not limping and doesn't seem overly bothered by it.  But I obviously need to get a look and maybe bathe it.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 18:31:54 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Link to CatChat