Author Topic: Gingivitis.  (Read 2059 times)

Offline zoe (tiggy + pipins mum)

• Hero Cat
Re: Gingivitis.
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 16:17:30 PM »
When i took tiggy & pippin for there check up at 6 months they said they both had slight  gingivitis but tiggys was worse then i took them to get spayed a couple of months later and tiggy still had gingivitis but they left it as she eats fine etc she is now 1yr 3 months and i had too take her to the vet last month as she started getting very grumpy when she was eating she had too have some injections and antibiotic liquid (as she WONT take tablets lol) I have to check her gums on a weekly basis and she has too go back next month the vet believes it will be an ongoing thing for her but since she has had the medication she has been alot better.

Sorry for long post x

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 11:57:31 AM »
Ollie has Hypo-plasmic gingivitis so he will need to be on steroids for good now. Although my vet did say that if he did not have his teeth out he would of never become stable. He kept getting infections as the teeth were holding onto bacteria, where as removing them has allowed the gum to close over and stop infection getting in, he has not needed any antibiotics for a while  :)
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 11:49:15 AM »
yep, Schui literally improved overnight his was overactive immune system, never needed treatment since.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 11:47:10 AM »
Ollie had his teeth out and he's only got better  since. His teeth were also fine but his gums very bad, his gums are getting better now and he will be on steroids for the rest of his life.
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 06:58:24 AM »
The problem is there teeth are fine, it's just their gums. Poor things.

aww, poor things, our Schui did have very sore gums too they were like raw liver sometimes.  Maybe their teeth would be affected eventually and probably why your vet said about teeth removal, because I think that's what's causing the gum problem tbh.  Our Schui did have his all out in the end.  I don't really know of any treatment Schui had the teeth stuff daily and had to have steroid injections for the gum inflammation it was bad and he wouldn't eat.  Maybe if they are treated younger it can help prevent it getting so bad.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 07:04:49 AM by janeyk »

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 05:55:28 AM »
Zylkene is an anti anxiety medication made from natural things.  My Charlie has been on it for a while and I know Leanne has had a lot of success with it with Jess.  You don't need a vet prescription for it but always worth checking it out with your vet first.

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 00:01:09 AM »
The problem is there teeth are fine, it's just their gums. Poor things.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 17:17:30 PM »
Hi, our Schui had terrible gingivitis and plaque on his teeth and red gums.  We used to have to scrape it off every day with a cotton bud and solution, in the end he had all his teeth out as it was too hard to control, but his was very severe (an autoimmune thing).  He was absolutely fine after.   

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 13:03:29 PM »
Awwww bless them!  :hug:

We need to find a new vet as Gerti has plaque  :scared: and needs to go under anaesthetic to have it removed. She is terrified with new people so I am dreading it. We need to find a new vet here who is nice. (No idea if that is an insurance claim??)

I haven't heard of the drug zylkene but we have some pheremone (sp?) spray called feliway to spray in their boxes and on the blanket as it is supposed to calm them while travelling etc. You'll probably find after a few trips they wont be as bad in the cattery - ours are fine now  ;D

Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
Gingivitis.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 11:04:19 AM »
Hello!

Tachi and Vader have just been for their health check and vaccinations. They were so well behaved when we got there, I'm so proud of them.  :Luv:

All is ok, except the vet siad that they've got a bit of gingivitis. It doesn't seem to be bothering them as they both eat well, especially Vader (who vet said is 'a whole pill' cat :rofl: ). She wants us to keep an eye on it and if it gets worse come back, or return for a check up in 6 months depending on which occurs first.

She did mention that they might need to have their teeth removed if it gets a lot worse.

Has anyone else had any dealings with this? Is there anything we can do to help them at home?  :( Poor kittys!

On another note, I'm so pleased that we've decided to change vets. From the second we walked through the door we were looked after at the new place. She really put the cats at ease (and me) and was good at explaining things. She also mentioned a drug called zylkene, which she recommended for Tachi if they go into the cattery again, as I'd mentioned that he'd got a bit scared. Has anyone ever tried it?

:thanks:

Link to CatChat