Author Topic: advice needed on food please  (Read 4337 times)

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
Re: advice needed on food please
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2007, 20:09:25 PM »
thankyou all

i have mixed in the persian 30 with the jwb and they have picked out and eaten all the persian 30 and left all the jwb

so i am going to offer natures menu every day to mango too

moomin has ganed a little bit too much weight but i am convinced a neighbour is feeding her too

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2007, 13:01:31 PM »
And very appetising it looks too!  :rofl:

Does doesnt it? - just off for my lunch now  ;)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2007, 12:57:35 PM »
And very appetising it looks too!  :rofl:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2007, 12:47:43 PM »
I never saw your article in CW, i went to buy but the next issue was out  :(

You can get back issues from CW if you so desire  ;D - it was in the Jan issue

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2007, 12:42:02 PM »
I never saw your article in CW, i went to buy but the next issue was out  :(

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 12:12:27 PM »
[quote I would take Gillians advice as i think she has 10 persians!
[/quote]

He he  ;D - only 7 persians (at the last count!) - 10 puss cats altogether  ;D

Heres a picture of natures menu - its one that I used for my CW article on raw diets. It was the plate showing how to introduce a little bit of raw food (on the left) to their usual food  ;D - does that give you an idea of the consistency LOL!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 11:43:09 AM »
i have decided to leave persian 30 out all day

Its always best to mix a little of the new food with the old and gradually increase it, especially as your other cat has a sensitive stomach.
I would take Gillians advice as i think she has 10 persians! Wet food is a good idea for all cats, a natural diet would be high in moisture.

I would describe NM as a pate and a/d as a puree.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 07:44:36 AM »
Good luck with her - I would give her wet food more often than once every couple of days though, and I would give a/d at least once a week. Can she tolerate cat milk? I have found that good for helping cats gain weight. An all dry diet doesn't do their teeth that much good, even though you would think so by their advertising.
Please spay your cat

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 20:23:23 PM »
she doesnt mind the jelly as much as gravy   ;)

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 20:17:20 PM »
does natures menu come in  a pate form like a/d cause she hates any pouches in gravy  :tired:

Natures Menu isn't a pate like a/d but it also isn't in gravy its sort of all meat with a little bit of jelly (not really sure how to describe it lol)
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 20:10:27 PM »
well i got the rc persian 30 earlier so decided to try it and she has eaten a little , i didnt get the exigent cause the vets dont stock it or pets at home , i think the a/d has given her a little appitie

i have decided to leave persian 30 out all day and offer natures menu meat when i think she needs it once every 2 days or if needed more or less
i did think a dry diet was better for the teeth ect but i was obviously wrong

i have to go back to the pets at home now tomorrow to get the natures menu, she dunt like any other cooked or raw meats , she will have gourmet supream but only the shrimp one and she dunt eat much of that

does natures menu come in  a pate form like a/d cause she hates any pouches in gravy  :tired:

this might sound mad bt after 3 tins of a/d i swer she has put a little weight on

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 19:59:47 PM »
We had problems getting Tigger to eat when she was younger and in the end she was having a tin of A/D twice a week, then once a week and it seemed to help her develop an appetite and she eats perfectly well now (although lots of foods upset her tummy as she has a very sensitive tummy)

I feed all of mine Hills dry food plus Natures Menu pouches, Applaws tins, Hi Life from time to time plus mice and chicks.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 17:54:34 PM »
gillian do you feed yours natures menue  and no dry food

No, I feed mainly a raw diet after too many problems with dry food, so fresh chicken, beef, lamb, turkey (oops - maybe not turkey at the moment  ;D ) etc, balanced with chicken wings or suchlike for calcium, plus organ meats, liver, kidney, heart. I always keep some natures menu pouches in the cupboard in case I don't have anything out of the freeezer ready, and the only dry food they have is a few Olli dry biscuits as a bedtime treat  ;D

Personally I don't leave food down, I feed 2 meals a day, then the few Olli biscuits at night.

saffron

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 16:57:11 PM »
Just to try.....
get a 400g bag of r/canin persian 30 & exigent, mix the exigent with some persian 30, always have water down & if she is such a fussy eater try  the Gourmet gold or solitaire range.
On days when she eats well just use the persian 30

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 16:25:15 PM »
gillian do you feed yours natures menue  and no dry food

so basically keep JWB down all the time and offer mango natures menue meat ( have i got that right )

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 16:06:57 PM »
I wouldnt feed dry food exclusively, Persians are prone to kidney problems and dry food doenst have enough moisture. I would try the natures menu etc that others have recommended, they are particularly good for Persians because they have high meat content, and few carbohydrates in the form of cereals/grains (none in natures menu), which persians are also very sensitive to. Cubes of meat are good for them to chew on to help keep their teeth clean. The shape of the Persian 30 makes no difference to whether they will eat it or not - purely a marketing ploy!

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 12:22:43 PM »
Maybe kitten food?  If she's only 1 and a bit underweight she might be best off on kitten food - or is she already on kitten food?  I'd leave the JWB down for your other cat - and Mango if she wants some - and add some wet for Mango a couple of times a day.  Hi Life, natures menu and almo nature all do pate style kitten foods she might like.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 10:14:46 AM »
I wouldnt change your other cat if her stomach has excepted JWB, you risk opening a whole new can of worms if you do!

If you free feed and mango likes wet food then i would stick with JWB to avoid upset tums and give mango some wet food.
Hi Life make tasty pates & natures menu, although a tin of a/d a week isnt going to hurt her.

If you dont free feed then you can change mangos dry to something different & keep your other cat on what suits her.

If she likes fish you could try some tins of Applaws or Almo Nature

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
  • Mollie dog, Charley, Sammy and Seth
    • my blog
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 23:11:34 PM »
I'm by no means an expert but if she likes pate and you want some good quality stuff you could try Natures menu http://www.naturesmenu.co.uk

I fed some to my cats this evening and they hardly stopped to draw breath between mouthfuls... The recommended amount is quite a lot and it's not cheap stuff so I'm mixing it in with biscuits. Most people say that biscuits are actually more fattening than meat, but they can be harder to digest.. Trophy biscuits are quite small so easy to eat (http://www.trophypetfoods.co.uk), I get the premium ones.

It might be an idea to try and find a cat nutritionist if you can afford it - it could save you money in the long term?

Good luck with Mango  ;D
Ah, summer - the season for a daily mouse...

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 23:08:46 PM »
OHH  just found royal canin persian 30 , almond shaped pieces better for a persians mouth , but will that make her want to eat it

so do i get the r c exigent cause its for fussy eaters or
                     r c persian cause its easier for her to eat  :Crazy:

I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO HELP !!!

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
advice needed on food please
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 22:48:40 PM »
Hello i did a post regarding my persian mango , she is 1 yr and is a smallish cat but  quite thin . she is on JWB she eats it but only in tiny amounts so she has a smalll appitite or hates it ,
 i got good advice about hills a/c and R C exigent , i went to see the vet and he agreed that she is slight, and we discussed food and he said that hills i/c was a option and it comes in dry food  but gave me 3 tins of a/d to try !
i have tried her on the a/d and she has eaten it and seems to have more energy and has gained a little weight although i am not sure that she should be on a high fat diet for a long time

i have looked at the web sites and dont know what to do now i want a good balanced food for her that will help her gain a little weight and keep it stable that she will like
( do you think it could be that she prefers wet food rather than dry , she hates anything in gravy but the a/d its like a pate and she enjoys it )

or would you try her on the r c exigent dry  i have looked at the web site and it looks good for fussy eaters but i dont know if there just trying to sell it (  is that a good balanced diet , cause i have anouther cat that also has the JWB  she got runs on any other food  :scared:  so dont want anything too rich , she  is a fine weight and she will obviously eat what mango is eating

i thought i could give rc exigent dry all the time to both cats and if mango needs it a can of a/d once a week to keep her weight stable ( she does show interest in food but i think she is fussy and at the moment i can feel her spine , she doesnt like chicken , mince,any meat , she will have tuna but the vet says it is no good to build her up she does love crispy duck from the chinese )

does anyone have a persian that is a fussy eater ad do you think it is anything to do with the shape of there jaw and teeth ?

sorry to go on but love my cats and want a good food , i have been happy with JWB but its obviouse mango isnt

Link to CatChat