Author Topic: Two kittens needing new home - now homed  (Read 7100 times)

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
Re: Two kittens needing new home - now homed
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2008, 11:00:19 AM »
Hello Cooke family and    :welcome:   to Purrs

Thank you for giving these kittens a home

Look forward to seeing you posting

Love from Yvonne, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, Ginger Snaps and Private Rodent

The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2008, 09:20:24 AM »
great news and welcome to the forum, well done JS for helping these two!

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2008, 07:36:59 AM »
awww, that's great news! bet they'll be very happy kitties with you and well done JS  :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline CookeFamily

• Kitten
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2008, 01:31:16 AM »
Hi all,

Thankyou for all your concerns for my new family members, Noah and Jinx. Just to let you know I am offering them a permanent home and they have settled in very well.  Special thankyou to JS – keep up the good work!!!   :thanks:

xxx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2008, 23:07:56 PM »
Oh look at them  ;D

So pleased that you got this sorted JS, well done  :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2008, 23:02:12 PM »
Update: As suspected, the lady in question is now utterly besotted with Noah and Jinx. They were taken in to the vets and apart from the flea issue and a slight case of the runs (the vet feels caused by disruption to routine) are thriving in their new forever home.

They are going back to the vets next week for the first set of jabs.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 23:03:26 PM by JackSpratt »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Two kittens needing transport - can anyone help?
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2008, 19:04:20 PM »
I was told that I should comb these two daily to try and control the situation a little and then ensure they are booked in with the ladys vet on Monday.

They would be more concerned if they had seen fleas leaving a lifeless body, anaemia is dangerous and does serious damage  :Crazy:
I would hope that as they had a nurse check them over that appropriate treatments were given

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2008, 13:47:53 PM »
Thank you for asking. :)

I have to admit, the poos look less runny already. I have a sneaky suspicion they were being fed substancial amounts of adult food - that and change in circumstances will cause some reaction.

The lady has just been in touch and said she's still happy to take these two. She's also agreed to take them to the vets on Monday locally to her.

Am going to boil up some rice now.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2008, 13:26:45 PM »
How are the little pair doing now JS?
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2008, 10:54:58 AM »
Ela, I phoned a vets today (the one the local CPL uses actually) and explained the situation. I was told that I should comb these two daily to try and control the situation a little and then ensure they are booked in with the ladys vet on Monday. As I was told this by someone working at the veterinary practice, I don't feel its a particularly negligent approach.

My house itself was flead two months ago with indorex and my cats are all flead regularly. The kittens are in a pen in a sealed off room.

I don't feel comfortable signing these two over because I'm almost 100% certain the lady in question will take one look at them and not view them as fosters. Thank you for the offer though.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2008, 10:07:13 AM »
Right, we will take these kittens and someone can call for them today, in that way they will get all they need to ensure they are in full health. It will however, be necessary to sign the kittens over to us. Please ring me as soon as  We have the treatments these little ones need now on hand and vet access 24/7 .
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 10:16:22 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2008, 09:54:09 AM »
I would suggest that the new owners cover the cost of this

I think they will only be fostering with a view to adopting. But someone does need to ensure they go to a vets today. As we all know there is no point in rescue if the little ones  then do not then get the treatment they need and deserve.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2008, 09:44:56 AM »
I agree that a vet check is important before rehoming. I would suggest that the new owners cover the cost of this.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2008, 08:48:25 AM »
Have every intention of fleaing after the little 'uns have gone, Ela.

I would suggest you do it now, you could always put the pen somewhere else for a short time. In fact I would suggest you do the room you will put the pen in first. Air it then  you can do the other rooms. You owe it to you own cats to do it now. I would have done it last night not leave it till they go, having said that there is no way I would ever bring a cat/kitten in my house if it were not already covered. Although I have not seen a flea in my home or on any of my cats for more years than I can remember I spray with Staykill or similar once a year.

You must take them to a vets today as Frontline Spray is the only thing you can use on them. Some vets may not charge for the consultation if you say you need to bring them because you want flea and worm treatments. However I can't say how much as prices differ from vet to vet, I would imagine the Frontline Spray will be about £14ish and the worm tabs I will pass. As I am sure you know to leave it longer would be very irresponsible. I have known kittens die. from fleas Again you will have to ask for a wormer that covers tapeworm. The vets is the only place you can get the treatments you must have today. I assume then that you did take all the necessary information from the owner and know 100% that the little ones have at no time had no flea/worm treatments or they did when and with what as previously posted.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 08:58:30 AM by Ela »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 21:32:14 PM »
Have every intention of fleaing after the little 'uns have gone, Ela. :)

Can you give me a rough idea how much the flea and worm treatment is for a kitten?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 13:54:12 PM by JackSpratt »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 19:46:19 PM »
If they have had fleas they will most certainly have tape worm. As Millys Mum  says you need Frontline Spray and a vet will only give you that if he he sees the kittens, also a wormer from the vets that is suitable for the kittens and one that covers the tapeworm related to the flea.

I would also suggest if you have not sprayed your own home with Staykill or something like that you do so otherwise your own cats or at least your home may soon be flea ridden.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 19:48:16 PM by Ela »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 19:00:35 PM »
In the absence of available data, the product should not be used on kittens less than 8 weeks old and/or weighing less than 1kg.

You need frontline spray from the vet or kitten stronghold

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 18:27:20 PM »
No I dont think so but look at the instructions cos it depends on the age and size of the cat.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 18:25:26 PM »
Got back an hour ago - one of them has indeed already "gone!" Nothing visible in the doings. ;) They are however covered in flea poo; is normal frontline safe for them as that's all I have in the cupboard?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 16:03:52 PM »
I know you can only check for worms in things like faeces or if a cat is sick. Thanks for the input

Well there are other ways.  However, if you intended to have them only a short time there are no guarantees they will 'go'   ;D and even then unless absolutely endemic you will not see. Also if you did see anything you cannot assume they need treating. It is imperative to ask when they were last flead and wormed and with what.

With my rescue head on I would say that to be honest with you it is a shame for the kittens to travel from Sheffield to Chesterfield and back again on to Hull. If these people are as good as you say they will be capable of checking and also the kittens will be far less stressed as they will have a shorter journey and not have to adjust to 2 different homes over a couple of days.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 16:36:29 PM by Ela »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 15:45:36 PM »
Ela, the pen is set up ready. The transport hasn't been so easy to arrange - I wouldn't have used a local rescues resources if I didn't feel there was a chance I could get the kittens here.

I know you can only check for worms in things like faeces or if a cat is sick. Thanks for the input. :)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 15:09:55 PM »
You were offered a pen from us days ago. Also I think you will be very hard pressed to know if they have worms as they are only evident when endemic. You would need to ask the person who now has the kittens if and when they were last flead and wormed and with what. Then act accordingly.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 15:05:38 PM »
That's the thing Ela - the lady who is taking them as fosters with a view to permanency is is Hull. Her partner has agreed to collect the kittens and bits and bobs I have for them tomorrow - but I was trying to get the kittens here to (a) see what gender they are and (b) check for obvious issues. (ie: fleas, worms etc)

Time's running out for me to do that for them. If I can't get them here as I said the partner has agreed to collect the bits and bobs from me, then go to Sheffield and then to Hull! Seems a lot of driving about fora second date!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 14:40:03 PM »
Can't you take them as you planned and borrow the dog crate and then let them move on when transport can be provided., Or is there no way the person who wants them can collect them or pay the fuel costs. as in all honesty if they can't do that can they afford two kittens?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 14:15:25 PM »
Still looking for help with this. Ideally I need to get these two today. :scared: A friend I asked said she'd love to but can't afford the petrol. I know the feeling!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 14:17:22 PM by JackSpratt »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 09:20:07 AM »
I do indeed know the person personally, and she's lovely.

But the preference would be somewhere closer if at all possible. The issue is the time frame I could care for them is very small - a couple of days, so really a local rescue probably wouldn't be able to take them.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 09:20:57 AM by JackSpratt »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 08:43:12 AM »
I've had an offer of a foster home with a possiblity of it being made permanent if the lady

Do you know this person personally? If not I would suggest you ask a local rescue to vet them first, even fosterers need a thorough vetting first.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 12:44:49 PM by Ela »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 08:39:20 AM »
If at all possble, I'd advise you to take them to 'foster' for a rehome and speak to your local friendly rescue about that.

Oh! you don't know the local rescue, they are far from friendly.  ;D

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Can anyone advise me on the best course of action?
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 16:32:33 PM »
I'd love to, but my older three are still adjusting to a youngster taken off a free ad site in June. (Granted they're a lot more settled than they were with her.)

Is it a good idea to contact a local rescue and see if they'd take this pair if I said I was taking them on to the person who posted the ad?

EDIT: Received an email with the picture below and the messages:

"sorry they much older than that i made mistake"

"yes they eating well
ya best take them while you can i put that photo on gumtree so they could go soon"

I think they're fibbing so the kittens go.

I've had an offer of a foster home with a possiblity of it being made permanent if the lady feels the kittens could be happy as indoors only cats. It's in Hull, the kittens are in Sheffield - can anyone help?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 20:37:48 PM by JackSpratt »

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
Re: Can anyone advise me on the best course of action?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 15:42:55 PM »
If at all possble, I'd advise you to take them to 'foster' for a rehome and speak to your local friendly rescue about that.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Two kittens needing new home - now homed
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 15:29:35 PM »
While looking in the "freebies" section (for a shelving unit) of a not very liked free ad site, I read this:

"2 Tabby & white Twin Kittens 7 Weeks old

Free to Good Home

The are very Playfull and Freindly to humans and cat litter trained
They most go as pair as they are twins

Not sure of there sex yet

Get back to collect "

Obviously, I'm not only concerned about the way the cats are being rehomed, but their age. I've sent a message asking if these to still need a home and stating I'm a little concerned about the fact they are only seven weeks - I've informed the poster I've been told it's an eight eek minimum situation. What's the best course of action if they still need somewhere? (Bearing in mind I can't afford any more feline family members currently. :()

I just want to stipulate, I don't expect any rescues to come rushing to the rescue, I know all of you have waiting lists and respect that. I just want to know if there's anything I can do. :)

« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 23:02:53 PM by JackSpratt »

Link to CatChat