Author Topic: Being Paranoid?  (Read 1315 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Being Paranoid?
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 15:20:09 PM »
You could look into getting a Loc8tor - if he keeps the collar on you'll be able to track him down.  If he is genuinely losing collars you'll be able to locate them where they're coming off, perhaps in bushes or similar.  Equally if someone is taking the collar off him you'll be able to locate the collar in their house as it tracks to 2.5cm!

It doesn't have a huge range but if you walk round looking for him then I'd imagine at some point you'd be within however many metres the loc8tor's range is.  Once the mystery is solved you could put it on ebay and get a chunk of your money back.

This probably isn't the cheapest, link just for info purposes...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LOC8TOR-LITE-LOCATOR-TRACKER-CATS-CHILDREN-PETS-MODEL_W0QQitemZ310079297415QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item310079297415&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 15:06:24 PM »
I'm a bit weary of putting my phone number on a flyer but like the idea of a poster/flyer. Thanks for that suggestion.

Maybe something like this (in bigger, bold font):

DISAPPEARING CAT

MY SMALL BLACK CAT IS REGULARLY DISAPPEARING ALL DAY FROM EARLY MORNING UNTIL LATE AT NIGHT.

IF HE IS VISITING YOUR HOUSE CAN YOU PLEASE SEND HIM OUT AND NOT FEED HIM.

HUXLEY IS BLACK WITH A WHITE BIB. HE HAS TO HAVE A SPECIAL DIET ON VET’S RECOMMENDATIONS AND IF YOU FEED HIM IT COULD LEAD TO SEVERE STOMACH PROBLEMS.

HE IS A MUCH LOVED FAMILY PET AND CAUSES US GREAT WORRY WHEN HE GOES MISSING.

HUXLEY SHOULD HAVE A COLLAR ON BUT THEY ARE ALSO CONSISTENTLY GOING MISSING. HE IS MICROCHIPPED SO IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE HIM PLEASE TAKE HIM TO A VET WHO WILL BE ABLE TO IDENTIFY HIM AND HIS OWNERS.

I've just ordered up the Kitty Collar. If and when Huxley gets home tonight I think I am going to keep him away from the cat flap so that he can't get out when it opens in the morning and try to keep him inside at least until the new collar arrives. I would have thought being inside for 3 weeks would have helped break whatever habit he seems to have gotten into?

My hubby thinks that because he has been cooped up for 3 weeks he is just rambling mad now. We do have a copse near us in which he loves to hunt but then why he is gone so long and why doesn't he come home when called. I will admit that he isn't the best at responding to a call. He is a stubborn boy when he wants to be. However, I do think something is up with this being gone so long and the collars going missing all the time.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 14:28:24 PM »
If I were you i'd post leaflets through your neighbours doors or put some posters up around the local area, telling people about the situation, with a phone number to contact you if they believe he is their pet!

Yes, thats a good idea, then you can mention the special diet - and the fact that he is microchipped, might make someone think again if they know that.

Offline Lindsey (thefunkyinuit)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 12:19:17 PM »
Its such a persistant problem that seems to happen too often for him to be losing his collars.
If I were you i'd post leaflets through your neighbours doors or put some posters up around the local area, telling people about the situation, with a phone number to contact you if they believe he is their pet! Its worrying to think that someone would just take his collars off without finding out who he belongs too (if they think hes theirs) as thats virtually stealing! Hope you sort it out x

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 11:05:53 AM »
I think the vet diet collar is probably the best thing - when we lived in our flat in London our then cat Bluto used to tart around all day with the retired ladies of the block!  they all knew he lived with us but couldn't resist feeding him, washing his eyes (he was a feral and had deformed tear ducts which meant his eyes ran sometimes).  He did go on a crystal controlling diet and I went around and everyone was fine about not feeding him, didn't stop him tarting about but at least they didn't feed him

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
Being Paranoid?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 11:02:20 AM »
I mentioned in another thread before that I thought someone may be taking in one of my cats. Huxley is microchipped and I do wear a collar on him with an ID tag. For the last few months every time I put a new collar on him it goes missing within days. I have given up putting ID tags on the collars as was costing me a small fortune replacing them. I did let him go without a collar for a few weeks as well for the same reason. However, I got worried as people just don't think to check for chips round here and started wearing collars on him again.

Before I got the new cats, Huxley had started disappearing for most of the day. He has been inside now for just over 3 weeks whilst I was introducing the new cats. They have all settled in together well so have started letting them all out now. For the last 2 days Huxley is gone in the morning, doesn't come home again until 8 or 9 o'clock and no amount of calling through the day brings him home. After 1 day being out his newest collar is gone again.

I'm ordering one of the Kitty Collars for him with our phone number and Do Not Feed Vet Diet on it. Huxley has a very sensitive stomach and has to be kept on RC Sensible 33. I know its not a vet diet as such but could only fit that wording in.

I am convinced that someone is taking him into their house throughout the day and letting him out at night. I think they believe they own him and they are removing the collars. That upsets me. If they checked for a chip, he has one (and I put on the ID tags - I am chipped), plus he looks healthy and glossy so clearly not a stray.

I don't know what to do. I am so afraid I am going to end up losing my little guy. I can't find out where he is going as he gets away too early in the morning and I have school run to do etc. I don't want to restrict him to an indoor only life as my cats all love being outside and I don't think my hubby will go for the idea of an enclosed garden. My husband thinks I am being paranoid and that he is just out hunting and lying low for the day. He does eat food and drink water when he comes in but is not ravenous. I'm so stressed spending my day calling him and worrying where he is.

Am I just being paranoid and if not how can I get a message to anyone else that he is my cat and that I'm worrying about him when I can't find him.

Link to CatChat