Author Topic: Can anyone tell me about Program flea treatments?  (Read 1986 times)

Offline Rachel(Rachette)

• Adult Cat
Re: Can anyone tell me about Program flea treatments?
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 14:03:48 PM »
Anyone used advantage.is it any good...or knows if its a safe product?...pesky ickle beggers these fleas.. :rofl:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 18:59:35 PM »
Kocka had an allergy to flea bites and was changed onto stronghold , which did the job.

I use stronghold for my current 4 but like MM I do not use monthly unless there is a problem. The first time we have had fleas here is this year and Sasa the semiferal was the worst grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

None of the cats have fleas at present with Sasa on the dont know list cos I cant touch her, so just wait to see if she is doing a lot of grooming and scratching, at which point would have to trap her.

Offline Rachel(Rachette)

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 16:13:05 PM »
Flea collars are a) useless and b) dangerous as they dont have quick release clips. They also shouldnt be mixed with spot ons. Dont waste your money would be my advice  ;)

Thank you..i would have thought that all collars would have quick release clips now...

It seems that frontline is not working as well this year, my vet has had quite a few clients who say it is not working, fleas seem to be getting immune to it.  I have now changed to stronghold and that seems to be doing the trick.
I agree that frontlines not working too well this time..i'll try stronghold next time..thanks for that ;D

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 14:57:22 PM »
It seems that frontline is not working as well this year, my vet has had quite a few clients who say it is not working, fleas seem to be getting immune to it.  I have now changed to stronghold and that seems to be doing the trick.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 14:54:41 PM »
Flea collars are a) useless and b) dangerous as they dont have quick release clips. They also shouldnt be mixed with spot ons. Dont waste your money would be my advice  ;)
When a flea jumps on a cat it takes time (upto 24hrs) for them to die, program will stop what fleas she has from laying viable eggs, it wont kill them off.

I would try a different spot on from the vet.

I must be lucky here, with 8 cats i dont get any fleas, i dont treat monthly either. Makes me wonder where all the critters go  :shify:

Offline Rachel(Rachette)

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 09:57:42 AM »
Hey there i've just read this thread as i'm thinking of changing to the programme flea treatment..has anyone tried the ones from vet uk..i was wondering if anyones cat had detected that there was something in their food & not eaten it?

The reason i'm wanting to change is that i frontline snooch as often as recommended but this time, its only been 2 weeks since i did her & everyday i'm taking at least 4 fleas off her with the flea comb..i've done the house already but i'm at a loss at what to do next..can i give her another dose so soon or should i go & buy her a flea collar?

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 21:33:20 PM »
Sooty (now RIP) had a flea allergy and he had program injections for a good few years; it was the thing that seemed to work best for him.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 21:10:05 PM »
We had a coule of ferals with flea allergies and the Program works for them - we use the injectable form and we don't have flea's in the house

The dogs get tableted monthly as the injectable form is not available for dogs

It is also very effective with Tick control as we have woods and fields and they do get tivks but one bite turns tick grey and they die and fall off unless we find them first then we remove them

The injection is £30.00 for the 6 month period and yes it does last a full 6 months as we found after trapping some of our own ferals after our mass escape when we moved 2 girls caught 4 and 6 months after their last injections came in with dead ticks grey in colour and a few rabbit fleas but not a lot else
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 21:03:06 PM »
Ok....cheers for that.

I'm just finding frontline is not cutting it when it comes to controlling Kelis condition. The house has been sprayed with Acclaim, but the boys bring in fleas from outside (Kelis an indoor cat by choice). Her condition is a mild case, with no hair loss yet, but she stills scratches until she causes scabs. The vet would rather not give her a steriod injection unless absolutely necessary.

what do you guys out there with cats that have flea allergies use?

I'm getting confused..... 

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 18:47:41 PM »
Most products claim that but even program says for bad cases other treatments need to be used to sort the problem out. Program is a flea contraceptive, it breaks the cycle by stopping eggs from hatching, it doesnt kill adult fleas so any newly aquired ones wont just disppear.
Frontline is also available without prescription

From NOAH:
To prevent flea infestations Program should be administered at monthly intervals for at least six months during the flea season, starting two months before fleas become active.
If the cat is already infested with fleas, no viable flea eggs are produced from 24 hours after the first administration. The speed of elimination of the infestation is dependent upon the number of flea larvae and pupae in the environment when treatment starts and climatic conditions.
If cats have a high level of flea infestation at the start of the treatment, it may be necessary to administer a flea adulticide during the first one to two months. In cases of severe hypersensitivity, further use of an adulticide may be needed.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 08:43:18 AM »
Program 40 for 4kgs and under and Program 80 for the larger ones

All the Clan Cats barring Ace and Blue - they are unhandlable ferals so are profendered at distance or cornering!

All ours have this including the dogs who are on the tablet version - cats get their injections every 6 months one shot concides with their annual booster and its been great for us as we had several reactions to Frontline and others but all seem tolerant with this

Also means they get a free healthcheck with the second injection well thats if the vet is brave enough with some of our ferals although a couple of the domestics have let the side down with a nasty swipe!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
Can anyone tell me about Program flea treatments?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 00:16:59 AM »
Okey doke, just noticed on the vetuk email that Program is now available to buy without prescription...

As some who read on my recent thread about bandaging Z's foot that Keli has been diagnosed with flea related dermatitis and I noticed that Program is used to control this condition (my poor scabby girl needs relief!)

Can I use this for all my cats? The boys have no flea related problems. Keli and Z weigh 5Kg and RW weighs 5.5Kg so which strength would I need? Would I need to use a topical product like frontline as well?

Help!

Link to CatChat