Author Topic: Dot has a sneezy  (Read 1589 times)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Re: Dot has a sneezy
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 11:42:32 AM »
Bless her hope she soon feels better  :hug:

Catbird

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 10:04:10 AM »
Vet has just phoned back and says Dot will be OK and we just have to let the virus run its course - it has descended from her nose to her larynx.  He says to call him again on Saturday if I am still worried.  Phew - much relieved!  :)
C.

Catbird

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 09:34:58 AM »
She went to the vet on Tues.  He was not overly concerned but he gave her an antibiotic shot to be on the safe side.  Dot's breathing seems better and although her eyes are still weeping, the fluid is totally clear.  She is off her food and drink today and I can't even tempt her with some Felix As Good as it Looks, which she normally goes bananas for.  From watching her behaviour, I think she has a sore throat, which is why she doesn't want to eat or drink.  I caught her this morning and squirted 2mls of water down her throat with a syringe and I will try and do the same later. 

I have called the vets and left a message for him to call me back, so I'll see what he says.  I can't imagine that he can do much though.  She really does look like I feel when I have a really bad cold.

C.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: Dot has a sneezy... now has a really horrible cold
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 16:18:21 PM »
As she never goes out, how had she got it?  Have I carried the virus in from somewhere?  The plumber had a cold but surely these things don't work inter-species, do they? 

No, she won't have caught a cold from the plumber, cats don't catch colds from us, nor we from them. If its a virus it can be airborne, carried on shoes, hands etc, and as Rumeltum said the flu vaccine can't cover every single strain of of cat flu, so I'd say a vet visit is in order.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 15:51:46 PM »
I would defiantely pop her to the vets - she will probably need some antibiotics.

Hope she is all better soon xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Catbird

Re: Dot has a sneezy... now has a really horrible cold
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 13:07:23 PM »
Poor Dot is really miserable and appears to have her head on inside out.  She woke me twice last night by sneezing extremely wetly in my face and most of my flat is now covered with a fine sheen of cat snot  :sick: .  As she never goes out, how had she got it?  Have I carried the virus in from somewhere?  The plumber had a cold but surely these things don't work inter-species, do they?  Does anyone know?  Enquiring minds and all that.

Catbird

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 15:00:04 PM »
TT - thanks, that's a good idea.  I'll give it a whirl. 

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 14:10:45 PM »
C it certainly could be the dry air and dust.  I always make sure that I put containers of water beside radiators to put some moisture into the air when I switch the central heating on. 

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver, Basil, Ben and the late, great Morticia and Buster
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 11:50:24 AM »
Last week my boy Basil started to sneeze and snuffle and, he also stopped eating. The vet gave him antibiotics and he is on the mend. Had it just been the sniffles I probably would not have worried as much. I guess if Dot is still eating and seems well, the likelihood is that it's the dust and dryness. However, the vet did explain that although Basil had had all of the proper vaccinations, just like the human flu vaccine, they can't always protect against every single strain so, if Dot continues to sneeze or loses her appetite, I'd take her to the vet, just to be sure.

Catbird

Dot has a sneezy
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 09:44:06 AM »
I have had a new boiler installed and now the work is finished Dot has got a huge sneezy.  She has an attack of the sneezes periodicaly throughout the day.  The sound is a loud very high pitched squeak, following which she wipes her nose on the back of her paw  :Luv: . Her eyes are totally clear and there is only a tiny bit of visible discharge (totally clear) from her nose.  She's eating, drinking, playing and doing all of her usual Dot-Dot things, just with added sneezy.  Do you reckon it's because I have switched the central heating on for the 1st time since April and the air in the flat has dried out?  It could also be a reaction to the considerable amount of dust which was generated during the sawing/drilling/knocking holes in things phase?  Dot's an indoor cat but despite this she is totally up to date with all available shots, so I don't think it's anything viral.  I am unwilling to haul her down to the vets at the moment because she gets VERY stressed out by this, so while she seems to be happy and doing all her usual busy-busy Dot stuff I am adopting a "wait and see" approach.  Since y'all have so much experience though, does anyone have any words of wisdom to impart?

C.

Link to CatChat