Author Topic: CAT BIB?  (Read 4754 times)

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
Re: CAT BIB?
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2008, 10:56:39 AM »
Those bibs look blooming awful!  I would never put that on a cat in a million years.  Unfortunately, cats are predators and that is nature as much as I love birds too.  If cat's were in the wild that is how they would feed themselves.

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2008, 08:15:16 AM »
I notice there are no pics showing cats eating or grooming while wearing one of these things.  They just look stupid too.  It's fine to do what you can to reduce the number of birds caught, but at the end of the day you have to accept that cats are hunters and predators.  That's what they do.  These bibs are going too far.  Humans have had more impact on bird populations than cats.  Those bibs cannot be comfortable to wear and must inhibit movement.  But you can only state your opinion.  Unfortunately some people will not listen.

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2008, 23:38:25 PM »
There is no way of knowing really but either way, common sense must say that this isn't a great idea. Anyway, I've tried and if she won't even consider the concerns we have then not anything more I can do. I certainly wont' be buying one though!!!

This is the website: http://www.catgoods.com/product.html
If you click on testimonials then you can see the cats wearing them and I think they all look really fed up and awkward but maybe I'm being over-sensitive about it.

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Chiana and Salem
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2008, 23:33:57 PM »
well im not sure i believe their retired vet
The world is a dark place because of negativity so lets brighten it up with some possitivity

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2008, 23:28:49 PM »
Well I got a response...

"I did say that he is fine with it and that does of course include eating drinking grooming jumping and all the things he usually does apart from eating innocent little birds. Of course he doesn't wear it all the time, just when he goes out into the back garden during the day, which is not all that often as he is a night creature.
I can see though that you have made up your mind without seeing it for yourself and also added in a lecture about safety collars which I'm quite familiar with.
I'm sure you have a great deal of experience with cats and as a retired vet I have to. I don't use my career though as an excuse to be holier than though without knowing the first thing about the person I'm talking to."

Of course I didn't mean to offend but it is extremely worrying that someone with the experience she mentions sees this as acceptable. I have a real bee in my bonnet about this I know but it deeply concerns me. I think I need to move on though! lol

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2008, 22:02:18 PM »
I finally got the time to write back... I put:

Thanks for the message but I am afraid I am (along with a lot of other people) concerned with this item and that's not going to change. I am also wondering how a cat would groom themselves, eat, drink, curl up, get through cat flap easily etc... I just think that it hinders the cats natural behaviour. With a muzzle for a dog, it would only be on the dog for a short time each time it was put on and would in fact be cruel if it was on the dog for long periods which is why they are designed to be for short term use only.
I've looked at the website and to be honest, all I can see is cats who look uncomfortable. As someone who works in cat rescue, I see a lot of injuries and stressed cats (who then develop behavioural and health problems due to the stress) caused by new initiatives like this. The fact is a cat needs to be able to exhibit ALL of it's natural behaviours. Within my role I regularly see cats suffering from appalling injuries to their front paws and underneath their front legs - and even to their lower jaw - as a result of getting trapped by a collar. Worse still, treatment for collar injuries can involve repeated surgery which is very traumatic for a cat. Safety collars of course are available and should be the 'snap open' type but they do not always live up to their name. Whilst I can appreciate that some owners feel the need to put a collar on their cat for identification purposes (although microchips are common place now) this is definitely not an addition to the collar that I can support and I would have serious reservations about rehoming a cat with anyone who told me they were going to use one of these devices. 
I'm not here to tell you that you personally are wrong, I am just giving you my informed opinion as I was concerned that others are being convinced that this is a good idea.

I'm sure it probably won't do much good but at least it make her think. It really has been one of those days... Had so many people on the phone with really sad reasons as to why they want their cat rehomed. :(

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2008, 22:14:01 PM »
the whole point of using a muzzle is if you really can help it stay away from it basicly coz its the last resort and some people prefer to use halti(head collar) as the can still drink water and thay have been talking bout it as if before you cat gets the chance to catch any birds put the bib on
The world is a dark place because of negativity so lets brighten it up with some possitivity

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2008, 19:07:46 PM »
The point i would reply with is that dogs are not left muzzled all day and unable to perform natural activity.  >:(

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 16:35:07 PM »
i dont usually have problems with my cats catching birds and wen they do their usually still alive wen their brought in the house for example today my cat brought in a pigeon we rushed him outside and i managed to grab him as he let go of it and it flew away so thankfully that pigeon is still alive for the moment i dont know where he gets these birds from though last time its was a magpie and we dont really have magpies or pigeons around here normally  :-:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2008, 21:59:57 PM »
I don't see how a cat can groom himself with that on.  I would imagine it would be quite distressing for most cats too.  Many freak out when you put a collar on them for the first time so I would imagine they would not like that thing sticking out from their neck!  Even if it is safe (and I still doubt that), I do think it's preventing a cat from doing what comes naturally and just not right.

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2008, 21:47:41 PM »
i still dont trust it

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2008, 21:00:23 PM »
I got an e mail back today...

'Thank you for your message. I have been monitoring my cat since he has had the bib, which I bought to stop him devasting the large population of goldfinches that feed in a corner of my garden. Being young they are very vulnerable.

He is quite able to run and jump and play as he always has, even through the kitchen window which is 6ft off the ground. He still chases the birds and mice, the bib just interferes with the final act of catching them. So I don't see it as anymore cruel than putting a muzzle on a dog.

The bib is extremely light, does not absorb water and has no where it can catch. He wears a safety collar which comes off if it gets caught on anything.

There are many testimonials on the Cat Bib website which you are welcome to read.'

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 21:40:30 PM »
I saw these on tv about a year ago and was hoping they wouldnt arrive here, if i ever see a cat with one on it shall be removed instantly  >:(

If you dont want presents dont have an outdoor cat  :-:

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 22:33:16 PM »
to be honest putting that bib on in someways would violate one of the five freedoms i think which is freedom to express natural behaviour

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 21:56:06 PM »
No response and I doubt I will get one to be honest.

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 21:47:22 PM »
has there been any response yet?

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 18:09:06 PM »
I've e mailed the seller. I've got a real bee in my bonnet about this!
I put:
Hello
I don't want to appear rude but I feel I have no choice but to message you about this item. Im hoping it goes to you personally and doesn't appear on the page.
Your item was brought to my attention on a cat forum where cat lovers are very concerned that this item is cruel, stops a cat from exhibiting natural behaviour (jumping, pouncing etc) which they may need to do for their own safety and could also potentially be very dangerous as lots of cats receive life threatening injuries from wearing collars let alone with this attached. I understand that you may have bought this in good faith to see but I urge you to remove this item and not encourage people to treat their cats in such a cruel way.
Regards,
Debbie

I'm sure they won't be happy but I'm hoping it may make them think. We'll see...

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 17:57:24 PM »
it says they can do it easily but mine wud panic with that on

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 17:55:52 PM »
How on earth would your cat eat or drink with that on  :Crazy:

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 17:53:20 PM »
thats my point exactly all it needs is for the to be climbing through privets and catch it on a sharp branch

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 17:51:27 PM »
That is mad and looks potentially dangerous.   

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 16:19:29 PM »
well apparently your to attach it to your cats safety collars now im someone who uses collars but would never dare add anything more than their tags to the collar even though its probly light it mite do long term damage to the cats neck i used to have tag on one of mine that had reasonable weight to it (proper tag but was temporary) and as soon as i changed tags his head was held higher

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 14:29:07 PM »
I'm extremely worried about this and have reported it to ebay. I can imagine all sorts of injuries. People believe everything they read and will think they are helping the birds and not realise they are endangering their cat :(

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 13:59:25 PM »
MADNESS - stupid  :censored: people!

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 09:07:12 AM »
 :censored: Americans  >:(

We wish our cats wouldn't hunt but it is instinct!

btw - my OH is American and is embarrassed by these ridiculous things.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline hannah (weeny)

• Honorary Cat
  • JASPER!!
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 09:00:50 AM »
that looks horrible!  :(

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
CAT BIB?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 23:30:24 PM »
has anyone seen this new product from america its apparently to stop cat killing birds personally it look dangerous leaving it on your cat and my neighbours wud probly go oh you poor thing what have you got caught round your neck

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAT-BIB-Brand-New-Product-Stop-Your-Cat-Killing-Birds_W0QQitemZ140271193754QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item140271193754&_trkparms=72%3A1346|39%3A1|66%3A4|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ebayphotohosting
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 23:35:21 PM by Kally »

Link to CatChat