Author Topic: Matilda is missing  (Read 7209 times)

Offline Eve

• Adult Cat
Re: Matilda is missing
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2007, 15:34:58 PM »
Im so very very sorry Grit  :( :( :(

Offline Yvie

• Adult Cat
  • Pepper
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2007, 12:05:46 PM »
So sorry to hear about Matilda. :( I know just what you're going through. :( Sending hugs and positive vibes for her safe return. :hug:
A cat is more intelligent than people believe, and can be taught any crime.
Mark Twain.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2007, 08:53:33 AM »
Sending more vibes for Matilda's safe return home.

do you think someone has stolen her? Its strange that as you dont live amongst loads of people that she can just vanish like that.
That's what I was thinking too :(  It seems odd that no-one has seen her.  Is she a cat that likes to stay indoors when it's cold?  Maybe someone has taken her in thinking she's a stray.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2007, 00:24:52 AM »
I'm so sorry Grit, keeping everything crossed that she turns up safe and well, xxxx

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2007, 00:15:04 AM »
Grit - dont give up hope, thinking about you and sending positive vibes

:hug: :hug: :hug:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2007, 20:47:45 PM »
I'm so sorry Girt  :hug: :hug: :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2007, 18:25:31 PM »
That is so sad, do you think someone has stolen her? Its strange that as you dont live amongst loads of people that she can just vanish like that.

It must be so hard to keep your hopes up, but do try  :hug:

Offline Grit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2007, 17:47:26 PM »
Hi.  No still nothing, it is as though she just vanished into thin air.  Not a single sighting from anyone and result from all our enquiries. :'( :'( :'( :'(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2007, 13:05:02 PM »
Hi Grit any news?

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2007, 09:57:09 AM »
Keeping everything crossed that Matilda turns up soon.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2007, 18:58:17 PM »
I'm so sorry that Matilda is still missing. You mustn't give up hope. In this weather, people finding her wandering would surely take her in and give her shelter as their first priority and worry about finding her family later.

I hope she comes home soon...

:hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2007, 18:18:01 PM »
 :hug: I know how horrid it is when a furbabe goes AWOL.  Praying to St Francis she is OK.

Offline Grit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2007, 18:06:59 PM »
Thank you all for your kind words.  The thought of her maybe being out there in this snow somewhere is almost too much to bear.  It is such a helpless feeling as she could be anywhere and there is no way to find her.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2007, 17:51:57 PM »
Grit - just wanted to add my heartfelt wishes that Matilda returns safe and sound to you.

Have been through this twice myself so know what it's like. 

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2007, 14:34:00 PM »
Oh Grit I've just noticed this thread and I am so sorry to hear that Matilda has gone missing  :(

You poor thing you have been through so much  :hug: :hug:

I have everything crossed that Matilda comes home and send you lots of love and positive thoughts xxx

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2007, 10:16:45 AM »
How many people use the track that leads to your home, Grit?  You say it is hardly ever used. Do dog walkers use it?
Do you think it possible that someone might have seen Matilda and taken her home with them, thinking perhaps that she was a stray..or farm cat...and that no-one would miss her? Was Matilda micro-chipped? None of my cats are because of my cat-proofed garden but even so, I am seriously considering having them all micro-chipped just in case anything happens to any of them.  I think reading some of the posts on here has made me see how important micro-chipping can be.  It's such a shame that some sort of tracker can't be inserted at the same time isn't it?

If you have any of Matilda's bedding or toys or anything that still has her scent on it, perhaps the farmer would allow you to use one of his dogs to help you look for her.  If he has collies, they would probably be able to help enormously.  I don't think I remember reading that you have any dogs yourself but please try the farmer (I'm sure he will have dogs) because dogs are brilliant at this sort of thing and if he has trained sheepdogs, you might have a great chance of locating her.  The downside is that Matilda has been missing for over a week now and her scent will have diminished a bit but it is still worth trying. 

I am continuing to pray for her safe return.

Lots of love

Roz

P.S. Grit, I know in the past that you have spoken about cat-proofing not being a possibility where you live because of the size of your garden...(and our system does require you to have fencing already in place or about to be installed) but don't forget about Purrfect Fence which is a complete enclosure system.  I know it is more suited to American gardens but I often recommend it to people who wish to cat-proof their garden but whose gardens are so large that to fence them would cost a fortune. Tan used their system in her own garden and found it very good. In principle it behaves very much like our own so I have no hesitation in recommending it...but Purrfect Fence are the only other cat-proofing company that I do approve of......It would make so much sense in the light of what you say about Zhukov.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 10:31:12 AM by Roz »
You may think that what you do is insignificant, but it's important that you do it.  (Gandhi)

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2007, 09:35:09 AM »
 :( Sorry to hear that Grit - I have fortunately never had a missing cat but I could imagine how heartbreaking it is thinking you may never know where she went to.

Is there anyone near by who might not know who she belongs to and could have taken her in due to the cold weather?

I hope she comes home to you soon!
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Grit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2007, 09:28:11 AM »
No sightings.  I have spoken to loads of people in the village and the veg box lady who comes on a Thursday (the day she went missing) and nobody has seen her at all.  Nobody on the farm saw her that day, she just seems to have vanished into thin air.  I am still calling her at night but, even to get to the village she would have to have walked 5 miles.  She has just vanished :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2007, 00:31:15 AM »
Was hoping you may see footprints in the snow that you could follow.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 21:59:32 PM »
Have only just seen this, I do hope you get some positive news soon Grit.
Please spay your cat

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 21:54:15 PM »
Any sightings Grit?
You may think that what you do is insignificant, but it's important that you do it.  (Gandhi)

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 19:25:53 PM »
I know what it is like when they go missing - I really hope that Matilda comes home to you soon.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 18:51:48 PM »
So hope that she finds her way home before the snow comes down.............keeping fingers crossed  :hug:

Matiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiildaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacome home please

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 09:57:09 AM »
Don't give up just yet Grit, but do keep calling her and leave a carrier or something familiar for her to take shelter in at night with some food nearby.  She may have been spooked by something and is frightened to come home. I know you know this but as other members have said, do think about any barns or sheds that she may have become accidentally trapped in and also, could it be possible that she may have injured herself on any farm machinery or become wedged on any broken fencing somewhere? I have heard such stories.

It is going to be very cold over the next few days which makes me pray that she will come home tonight...although I suppose there is always the possibility that once the snow is on the ground, everywhere becomes very quiet so if she is somewhere she may be able to hear you more easily (or you her) and that might prove an advantage.

All prayers going out to you both for an early and safe reunion.

Lots of love

Roz

Offline Grit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 21:42:44 PM »
Thanks Roz so much.  No I don't think they were shooting and she went missing in daylight.  She has never stayed out, she was always in to bed at 6:00pm every night like clockwork.  I knew straightaway that night. :'( :'( :'(

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 19:12:39 PM »
Oh Grit,

I don't know what to say....I feel as though I have known little Matilda for so long...you have written so often about her. I hope with all my heart that you are mistaken and that she returns home very soon.  Is she in the habit of staying out for long?

I will ask St Francis and St Anthony to help you to find her. 

Could she have suffered the same fate as dear Cromwell do you think?  There are lots of guns going off around here all the time shooting the pheasants and pigeons...wicked bast**ds!   

Am sending loads of positive cyber vibes your way for Matilda's safe return....will keep an eye on your posts.

Lots of love to you both,

Roz
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 09:39:15 AM by Roz »

Offline Grit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 18:44:45 PM »
No non at all  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

I 've done everything you normally do.  I'm torn between her having met with an accident or just upping and leaving because she couldn't take anymore of Zhukov. But if she did up and leave then she had nowhere to go as we are miles from anywhere else.

I am also permantly stressed worrying about Zhukov going missing, I am seriously contemplating giving him to someone with a cat proof garden as he is very lively and dashes about without ever looking, also he wants to rough and tumble all of the time and is craving company (we work in the day), but our now remaining resident cat is having a very stressful time with it and I do not want to get another kitten Zhukov's age as A: I would be worried about safety and B: it would destroy my resident cat who really needs to have her own space after a rotten earlier life. I feel Zhukov is young enough to adjust at 8 months but poor Precious needs to be an only cat I think although this saddens me greatly as we would love more than one.  Unless of course we found another Precious    :)

On the up side Zhukov appears to have outgrown his allergy or at least it has calmed down considerably.  I don't feed him any cat food with fish in it but he seems to be fine now on ordinary cat food which compared to how he was is quite amazing. Not sure why this should be, maybe finally his gut has developed properly as he was runt of the litter.

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 17:50:48 PM »
Grit, any news ?
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 23:55:14 PM »
I am so sorry that Matilda is missing, maybe she will come home and has just gone for a long walk.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 22:05:32 PM »
Oh Grit so Sorry to hear Matilda is missing.  I'm sure you've already done everything on the list but just in case there is something you may not have thought of:

Here are a few things to try:

1. Posters, Posters, Posters with picture and details with contact number.....hand out to neighbours and anyone you see. Put up in local shops, pubs and supermarkets. Stick to all local lamp posts. (If it rains go and collect them and replace - the neighbours and council don’t mind you putting them up so much that way). Also put one in your and friends cars - it amazing how many people see them this way. Make smaller flyers and push through every letterbox on your streets and the surrounding area.   It is a good idea to offer a reward … of course this doesn’t have to be money … a box of chocolates or a bunch of flowers is just as good.

2. Knock on doors and ask neighbours to check their sheds and garages WHILE YOU WAIT … it's surprising how many people say they will check but as soon as the door is closed they forget.   Knock on 10 days either side of your house on both sides of the street.

3. Register him lost at all vets/catteries/rescue homes within a 20mile radius.  Follow the link and click on the map to find rescues in your area http://www.catchat.org/adoption/index.html

4. Leave food out and a toy of his

5. Leave out an unwashed item of your clothing

6. Put the contents of your hoover bag on your garden - it’s full of smells that they will recognise and if doesn’t bring him directly to your door will at least hopefully keep him in the area. Alternatively if you have a litter tray that has used put some of the used litter on the garden as this will have familiar smells in it.

7. Contact the local fire brigade and see if they have had to rescue any stuck cats

8. Ask the local children to look - they are great for knowing all the local hidey-holes and love helping. Also have a word with your local post-person and milk man if there is one that delivers in your area.

9. Ask the local radio station to announce he’s missing and give out a contact number

10. Put an advert in the local paper

11. Contact your local environmental services dept (bin men) they keep a log of all animals picked on the roadside ... I know this is not a pleasant call to make and hopefully it will come back as negative.

12. Go out after dark when it is quieter with a friend / partner and walk round the local area gently calling every so often (give him a chance to answer you). Keep talking as you walk round that way if he is in the area he will hear you.

13. When you talk to vets and rescues, ask them about any known local feral colonies and where they are based. If Kitty has been missing for more than a few days s/he might have wandered further afield and might be “hanging round” near a colony for security (safety in numbers) and company. If vets/rescues know locations of colonies, these might be useful to get some ideas of where to start looking.

Finally have a look at these sites - they are all EXCELLENT

http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php (this is a new forum created after the CatChat forum closed down.  There are loads of members and full of cat rescuers and carers)

http://www.mymoggy.com/

http://thehovel.com/bb/index.php?f=28&ppage=20&sort=lastpost&order=DESC

http://www.soyouhavelostyourcat.co.uk/#1

http://www.petsearchuk.org.uk/

http://www.amissingpet.co.uk/

http://nationalpetregister.org

http://www.animalsearchuk.com/

http://pet-rescue.org.uk/forums/index.php?showforum=308

Good luck and stay positive.

Hopefully your little one has just got itself shut in a shed somewhere.

And finally ……. IMPORTANT NOTE: When you get your furbabe back remember to remove ALL the posters and inform all vets / rescues / websites etc that they are home.

Offline suzi

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 21:53:49 PM »
I'm really sorry.
I know how heart-breaking it is. Please dont give up hope, she's not been gone that long. My cat came back after a week. (Someone took him home and kept him there) And i know of others who have had their cats returned after much longer. I really hope she comes home safe and sound.

Good luck

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 21:26:40 PM »
Sorry to hear about Matilda, I know you fear the worst but are there any outhouses nearby that she could have got herself shut in?

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 20:41:32 PM »
So very very sorry to hear this Grit. Not sure what to say except obviously hope she turns up. Nothing worse than not knowing. My heart goes out to you.

Offline sonya

• Distinguished Cat
  • Ozzy Daisy and Ebony
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 20:06:42 PM »
Sorry to hear about Matilda , I hope she does manage to make her way home to you safe and sound Grit :hug:

Sonya
 x
Cats are like vodkas-you cant just have one

Offline Grit

• Adult Cat
Matilda is missing
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 19:44:45 PM »
Matilda our beautiful one year old Tabby has vanished, she went missing last Thursday while we were at work, I suspect she was hit by one of the farm hands and thrown somewhere but who knows. We are utterly devastated especially as she was the special baby who helped me get over the loss of Cromwell.  We have lost 2 cats in the space of a year with no trace, yet supposedly we live down a quiet track with hardly any traffic.

Really now considering whether it is safer to give up my beautiful Russian blue baby to someone with a catproof garden rather than him suffer the same fate, I don't think I could bear it.  It is impractical for us to cat proof our garden as it is just fenced fields plus we don't own it.

Link to CatChat