Author Topic: My poor Charlie Boy UPDATE  (Read 11293 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: My poor Charlie Boy UPDATE
« Reply #94 on: October 30, 2008, 22:23:14 PM »
Must be  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2008, 20:10:26 PM »
He is still jumpy and has been a bit bitey with me since I came back.  Seems he had a whale of a time with the cat sitter and was nice as pie with her!  Something I'm doing?

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2008, 19:20:40 PM »
How is Charlie doing now?  I hope he's OK

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2008, 17:48:01 PM »
Not sure it will Gill.  Last time he was fine, she is very good with him and sticks to his routine so nothing changes for him except me.  I hope so anyway

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2008, 17:45:20 PM »
Oh dear, that will probably stress him out again then  :(

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2008, 17:41:11 PM »
Had a good day so far, touch wood, even had a roll over for a belly rub which he hasn't done since before he went in for his ear wash.  Fingers crossed.  It's over to the cat sitter from early morning tomorrow until Tuesday afternoon, I'm off to visit my friend in Sussex.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #88 on: October 24, 2008, 17:25:38 PM »
Sounds like he is doing well and pleased you have spoken to Vicky  ;D

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #87 on: October 24, 2008, 17:22:19 PM »
glad he's alot better  :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2008, 12:34:22 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #85 on: October 24, 2008, 10:15:16 AM »
He's doing a lot better.  He is still jumpy but that's almost all we are left with.  we had really bad gales and rain last night and he was good and slept in his old favourite place in the spare room.

Had a very long chat with Vicky Halls yesterday.  She is a wonderful person, so understanding and helpful.  Anyway she has asked me to video Charlie when he is in one of his strange moods and send her the footage.  She wants me to keep her updated on his progress.  She gave me some suggestions for helping him and we will see how he goes on.

He did have some discomfort with his ears when he woke up at tea time last night.  Was really shaking his head and poking his paw down. 

Thanks for the support

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2008, 09:40:47 AM »
I'm still convinced the vet may have touched something while cleaning out his ears as it's so sensitive in there and so easy to do. How is little Charlie today? I hope managing to have a good sleep now that the cold, grey yuk weather has arrived. xxx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2008, 16:49:11 PM »
poor boy, ear problems can be nasty.  Thanks for your prompt response

• Royal Cat
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2008, 16:46:36 PM »
Sorry but no.  He did react to sound slightly more than usual for the first couple of days but nothing like you have described for Charlie.  After that he became very lethargic and then started showing nasty cold/flu symptoms (which I put down rightly or wrongly to the stress of the anaesthetic/procedure).  Once we cleared that up he developed a copious gritty discharge from his ear (a bit like liquid coal) which he hadn't had prior to the washout and finally he completely lost all co-ordination and kept falling over to the right. 

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2008, 15:58:33 PM »
Thanks for that - did Korky seem to react more to sound after his ear wash?

• Royal Cat
« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2008, 15:30:41 PM »
Glad Charlie seems to be improving. Hopefully it won't be long before he's fully recovered.  Korky had an ear washout out in August because he kept shaking his head and they found loads of gritty gunge (black in his case) in his right ear. He continued to shake his head after the procedure and its only in the last 2 weeks that he's got back to normal after various complications, scares and treatments.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2008, 18:31:34 PM »
I am coming to squat on your working top too  :rofl: :rofl:

My doctor said a bit similiar to your vet and that sound doesnt change in volume but it does when you have had this kinda problem with your ears and it sounds like Charlies ears are calming down now but it takes a long time before they get back to normal......and they do it by themselves.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2008, 18:28:30 PM »
Well a lot of the previous symptoms have gone and he has reverted to his old patterns of where he sleeps and his usual routine.  However he is still jump with noise though I don't think it's quite as bad.  Spoke to the vet yesterday who says that the hearing should not have been affected that dramatically and I really didn't feel I was getting very far with him to be honest.  He says it is good that his other symptoms have improved and just to see how it goes.  Said not to leave him on his own when fireworks are going off though.

Am speaking to Vicky Halls tomorrow so will see if she can offer advice.  He's currently squatting on the kitchen worktop as he has got wind of the fact that there is a beef casserole and dumplings in the oven!!!!

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2008, 18:07:01 PM »
how's poor wee Charlie tonight? I hope he's keeping nice and snugwarm and not too many frightening noises, and that you are doing ok too  :hug: It does really seem that he's got the feline equivalent of what Gill had - really horrible.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2008, 17:19:05 PM »
Hope things have calmed down. Sounds like Charlie is nearly back to his old self again.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #75 on: October 21, 2008, 01:24:49 AM »
I do hope he is settling down and still think it was to do with his ears.

As you know I have had lots of probs with ears and one was that my eardrum had got out of shape by something pressing on it......a bit like Charlies gunge I suspect.

But one day I woke up and everythng was really loud and i couldnt tell where the sounds were coming from or what they were. I was in serious trouble by the time I got to the doctor, when phones were ringing so went outside and a plane came over!

I was given something to clear my ears, which took about 3 weeks but just ordibary things were painfully loud.....flushing the loo was a nightmare and also my first visit to the supermarket when I was nearly better .......did you know how loud the fridges are and the blip when the scanner works at the checkout?  To me it was so loud and painful and this sounds so like Charlie but it does go and took me about a month I think before the sounds started to get back to normal.

Real normailty however took a very long time but by then only really loud noises were bad.

Lets hope that Charlies hearing is starting to settle and if so , he will too cos its so scarey hearing things that normallly you dont even notice and they are deafening. Cats hearing is also so much more sensitive than ours.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2008, 23:23:57 PM »
he sounds to be settling down  :)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2008, 22:13:26 PM »
that all sounds good. I hope he's turned the corner and it's just a matter of time. Come on Charlie  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2008, 19:46:48 PM »
He has been better today, no fur rippling, no vocalising (well just his normal amount) and he has gone back to his favourite sleeping place on the dining table.  Also not been as aggressive and bitey. Plus he hasn't been grooming as much. Still jumpy and wide eyed though.  He jumps at any sound whether it is close by or upstairs or in the kitchen wherever and whatever.  I am pleased at the way he dealt with the tree surgery though as it has changed his view from the window today and he doesn't seem too concerned.  He has been up and had his tea and is now snoozing again on the dining table which is normal behaviour.  He usually wakes up at 9pm full of steam for games and then supper.  Fingers crossed.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2008, 18:04:58 PM »
I reckon that the tree surgeon episode is good news as he clearly didn't feel threatened by it, although it was loud. Does he freak out at sounds in the house that aren't near him or just those that are in the same room? maybe a short course of valium will calm him down - better to be a bit woozy than always scared. Give you a rest and respite from worry too if he's calm. xxx big hugs.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2008, 17:19:22 PM »
There can be a few causes for it, stress and behaviour problems being one of them.  It can be neurological, a brain tumour, spinal, lots of different things. 

Can be linked to diet too apparently - preservatives,  colourings etc in cat food and also chemicals in flea treatments etc and those used in the house for cleaning, air fresheners etc.  Hope he's a bit more settled soon.  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2008, 16:23:56 PM »
mmm after nine years i suppose it is second nature, I hope you can sort it out  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2008, 16:18:51 PM »
Well there is nothing to really suggest that his hearing was impaired before the wash out, it is just assumption on my part really (or hope?)  At the moment he is reacting to the slightest of sounds, even my friend tapping on my computer keyboard earlier.  He wouldn't cope with being put in a room on his own.  Valium is actually one of the recommended drugs for hyperesthesia!  There is no sound he particularly likes  and it is not just sudden noise he is jumping at, it's everyday noises that never bothered him before  this though I have to say he didn't do too badly this afteroon when next door had a tree surgeon removing a tree.  It was quite noisy and he just sat on the window ledge and watched.  I am hoping it is stress relating following the anaesthetic - apparently it can give them flashbacks to earlier anaesthesia etc, and to the fact that he had the wash out and was in the vet's all day.  Vicky has been very good about Charlie in the past so I am hoping she will give me some ideas.  I have been following the recommended suggestions for helping him, ie extra play and regular feeds and so on and he is tired now from playing and is asleep.  He doesn't seem very good at dealing with stress.

I know what you are saying Dawn F and am trying not to get too stressed.  However having had nine years of sick animals with my dog Pepsi (RIP) followed immediately by Dragan (RIP) I think I worry too much at the slightest.  Thanks for the moral support.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2008, 15:07:11 PM »
do you know how long Charlie couldn't really hear for? If it was ages, maybe it is behavioural and he's a nervous wreck at the minute as the world is just suddenly and terrifyingly loud. If he hadn't had a whole lot of gunk taken out of his ears, wouldn't the horrible possibility diagnoses be more likely? Valium will sedate him quite a bit but a little over the annoying firework period sounds like a good idea; if he can tolerate it, it does the job. The other class of drug that sometimes works is non sedating busparone (another human drug), although Max had that for severe stress and I can't say it worked fantastically well. Sounds like he's not sleeping too much, so valium may work better (?) - is his liver ok though?

Are there any sounds that he reacts well to, or that he reacts calmly to? (eg like soft, classical music: they use that to calm wild animals in Africa) or is he spooked by any sound or sudden movement? I do really feel for you and hope that he can adjust to his new world as fast as possible.  Does he have the freedom of the house or is there one quieter room you could settle him in for the moment? Poor Charlie. xxx and for you too with all the worry  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2008, 13:28:15 PM »
I know its hard but try not to get too stressed out, I'm sure Vicky Halls or the vet will be able to come up with something - I know he's not mine but my friend took in a stray exactly the same time you took in Charlie and I always think of the lives they could be leading  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2008, 13:05:49 PM »
poor Charlie, I do hope he settles down  :(

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2008, 13:02:59 PM »
Sadly it wont be covered by the insurance as ear problems started before insurance!!!  It may be that his hearing is more acute since the earwash and it is taking him to adjust to everything seeming louder.  I am unsure if vet does home visits but doubt it, they are a franchise in PAH and the cost would be exorbitant.  I will see what he says tomorrow and am speaking to Vicky Halls, behaviourist on Thursday afternoon.  Problem is I am away Sat to Tue and the cat/housesitter will be here and have to deal with it.  There can be a few causes for it, stress and behaviour problems being one of them.  It can be neurological, a brain tumour, spinal, lots of different things.  We are hoping Charlie's is behavioural as that way we have a good chance of sorting it out.  He may have to be medicated with Valium or the cat equivalent of Prozac.  I hope not.  It is very very windy here today and that is driving him nuts, whistling through the chimneys then I am going to have to contend with at least two weekends of bad fireworks which is bound to stress him more as his hearing seems so acute.  He jumps if I shift position on the sofa and this morning jumped up in the air when I walked near him (he wasn't asleep or anything just looking the other way)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2008, 12:50:56 PM »
I'm so sorry that Charlie is still so nervy. Maybe the vet will have to give him something to calm him down, depending on the diagnosis? Does he do home visits as I'm in the same boat as you with stress causing even more problems if it's a trip down to the vets? My insurance co said if the vet writes them a letter that it is medically necessary for the visit to be a home one, they would give it 'favourable consideration' to pay for that. It helps so much with a proper diagnosis and treatment if they can see what's happening and in your home environment, the vet could see that Charlie's stressed from x or y, whereas at the vets, Charlie will be stressed from being at the vets.  I don't know anything about this ilness but how is it diagnosed?
Poor Charlie and poor you, we send lots of hugs xOx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2008, 12:04:19 PM »
I am due to speak to him tomorrow as he wanted to know how Charlie is doing after his check up last Tuesday

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2008, 11:58:15 AM »
As your vet has seen Charlie so recently and is up-to-speed with him, is it worth making an appointment to have a telephone discussion?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2008, 10:04:27 AM »
Poor charlie  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2008, 07:30:02 AM »
Since Charlie had his ear wash his behaviour has deteriorated again and he is jumping at the slightest sound also shaking his head more than he did before.  It is very worrying as he seems stressed and anxious all the time and can't focus on a good game on Da Mouse without constantly being distracted.  Vet suggested he might have feline hyperesthesia which, after googling, can be a little scarey.  I am reluctant to take him back to the vet right now as he is so stressed anyway and with his corona virus have to try and reduce stress which is difficult as he is very nervy.  Read an article on the net by an American expert on the syndrome who states it can happen after anaesthetic.

His symptoms (some of which have, admittedly settled down) have been rippling fur, glazed eyes with dilated pupils, more vocal than usual, sleeping in different places to those he usually picks, bit aggressive and bitey and so on edge.

Am trying to keep things as normal as possible but it is difficult as I am feeling stressed just watching him.

Am at a loss to know what to do.  Outpouring over  :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 09:40:45 AM by Maddiesmum »

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
Re: My poor Charlie Boy
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2008, 08:44:41 AM »
I'm so glad the visit went well and that Charlie wasn't stress  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2008, 18:48:02 PM »
Glad the visit today went well, and fingers and toes crossed no more visits for a while  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2008, 18:26:32 PM »
Couldn't find the lump!  Have felt it a few times though.  Kobis asked where it was and when I showed him said he doesn't think it will be anything to worry about as it is exactly where he would expect a fatty lump to be.  Just keep an eye on it.

That happened with Blip's fatty lump too.  It seems to wax and wane a bit.  Anyway, I'm thinking I can cross lovely Charlie off my worry list, phew!  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2008, 18:13:52 PM »
Glad Charlie had a stress free visit today and all seems to be well! :hug:

Link to CatChat