Author Topic: 19 cats killed with anti-freeze in Bridgwater, Somerset.  (Read 3088 times)

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
Re: 19 cats killed with anti-freeze in Bridgwater, Somerset.
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2009, 19:59:28 PM »
I got the e mail about it yesterday  >:( Just not good enough, cats can't exactly be expected to read the warning labels and for that matter, neither can small children. Completely pointless response!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2009, 19:21:26 PM »
Awful response!  >:(

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 16:15:26 PM »
Here is a link to a petition regarding anti-freeze:

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Antifreeze-Kills/

The petition is for the Government to make it law that companies put a bitter taste in the anti-freeze to make it distasteful to animals instead of the sweet taste it has just now.

I signed this petiton, shame about the response though.http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page19371

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 10:38:52 AM »
I recently heard of another RTA cat with a broken pelvis that was taken by the RSPCA. My friend from Kent who found the cat was lovely and stayed with it until the early hours of the morning waiting for them to arrive. Apparently the cat was taken to a vets but was put to sleep. I have posted in the bridge section about the Bridgwater cats, only heard about it last night.  >:( >:( >:(

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 13:36:15 PM »
This story is just terrible.  Death by anti-freeze is so painful too...poor little souls.  I hope they find the perpetrators of this horrific crime and punish them appropriately.  What a wicked world we inhabit. I wouldn't give too much credence to anything the RSPCA comes out with however.............

R.I.P. little sweethearts....you will never feel pain again...only love and peace.

I've just been listening to that programme 'Homes from Hell'  I don't usually watch the programme but it was on and I caught this account of how the RSPCA broke into the home of a Tax Office worker (male) who was found to have 61 cats in his house all living in filthy disgusting conditions.  I think it was somewhere in Manchester. Every room was knee deep in excrement and bluebottles and there were two rotting cat corpses.  Apparently our beloved RSPCA decided that of the 59 cats who were alive only four of them would be worth trying to rehome...the others, they concluded, were either sick or would not make good pets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Therefore 55 of the poor little loves were pts.  One of the four survivors was shown being spoiled rotten by his new owner and he was a perfect little poppet....as I'm sure all the others would have been if they had only been given the chance by the damned RSPCA.  Ironically, the chap who owned them admitted neglect but said that he hadn't sought any help because he was afraid he would have to have all his cats euthanased.

Congratulations RSPCA...another job well done >:(

It is so upsetting to think that these little babes had endured all that misery and then when they had a chance to find happiness the bloomin' RSPCA just couldn't be bothered!  Where have I heard that before???????????????!!!!

I didn't think I could feel more depressed but then I read about these 19 poor little souls.   :(

Best wishes,

Roz

I have no time for the RSPCA either. Only a few weeks ago, Sharon took a call from the vets in our local PAH. An RTA had been brought in with a broken pelvis. The owners didn't want to know  >:( They spoke the the RSPCA who said they would pay £60 towards treatment so they called CP. Sharon to take the cat on. The difference is a lot of CP branches, our included, live hand to mouth whereas the RSPCA have millions in reserve. They are all about propaganda  >:( They do some good but PTS at the drop of a hat  >:(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 12:56:01 PM »
Hmmm, we're currently trying to find the cause of death in around 6 cats in a part of Yorkshire.... we're unsure what's happening but suspect poisoning (whether intentional or not, who knows...)

RIP little ones xxx
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 08:44:19 AM »
in the telegraph yestereday it was saying it was 28

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 00:55:55 AM »
This story is just terrible.  Death by anti-freeze is so painful too...poor little souls.  I hope they find the perpetrators of this horrific crime and punish them appropriately.  What a wicked world we inhabit. I wouldn't give too much credence to anything the RSPCA comes out with however.............

R.I.P. little sweethearts....you will never feel pain again...only love and peace.

I've just been listening to that programme 'Homes from Hell'  I don't usually watch the programme but it was on and I caught this account of how the RSPCA broke into the home of a Tax Office worker (male) who was found to have 61 cats in his house all living in filthy disgusting conditions.  I think it was somewhere in Manchester. Every room was knee deep in excrement and bluebottles and there were two rotting cat corpses.  Apparently our beloved RSPCA decided that of the 59 cats who were alive only four of them would be worth trying to rehome...the others, they concluded, were either sick or would not make good pets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Therefore 55 of the poor little loves were pts.  One of the four survivors was shown being spoiled rotten by his new owner and he was a perfect little poppet....as I'm sure all the others would have been if they had only been given the chance by the damned RSPCA.  Ironically, the chap who owned them admitted neglect but said that he hadn't sought any help because he was afraid he would have to have all his cats euthanased.

Congratulations RSPCA...another job well done >:(

It is so upsetting to think that these little babes had endured all that misery and then when they had a chance to find happiness the bloomin' RSPCA just couldn't be bothered!  Where have I heard that before???????????????!!!!

I didn't think I could feel more depressed but then I read about these 19 poor little souls.   :(

Best wishes,

Roz
You may think that what you do is insignificant, but it's important that you do it.  (Gandhi)

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 23:42:40 PM »
Here is a link to a petition regarding anti-freeze:

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Antifreeze-Kills/

The petition is for the Government to make it law that companies put a bitter taste in the anti-freeze to make it distasteful to animals instead of the sweet taste it has just now.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 19:44:38 PM »
Radio one advertised this so now anyone wanting to get rid of a cat knows how to  >:(

I saw similar comments on an American newspaper site today thanking them for informing every sicko how they can get their kicks.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 19:05:53 PM »
Before I moved here I was looking at properties in Bridgwater, pleased I didnt go there now!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 19:03:51 PM »
Radio one advertised this so now anyone wanting to get rid of a cat knows how to  >:(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 15:33:15 PM »
I try to imagine if it was one of mine to make it real. They should be force-fed antifreeze if they are caught  >:(

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 15:22:39 PM »
That's terrible, RIP babies  :(

It has to be more than just coincidence, and I hope if there is someone doing this, they are found and quicky before any more cats die unnecessarily  :(

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 15:09:18 PM »
Thats just awlful :(

Weston and Bridgewater are in the same county so bet they are linked :(

Just hope they catch the :censored: Cat owners in the area must be terrified

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 13:47:46 PM »
More than co-incidence I would say. I am amazed this stuff hasn't been banned when there is a much safer alternative.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 13:46:06 PM »
OMG thats awful, surely two accidental spillages is a bit odd??

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
19 cats killed with anti-freeze in Bridgwater, Somerset.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 13:42:32 PM »
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/skynews/20081001/tuk-cat-owners-fear-copycat-killer-45dbed5.html

The RSPCA are 50/50 as to whether a psycho is resonsible or if there is an accidental spillage  :'(

It is disgusting that the max penalty for animal cruelty is 6 months and/or a @ £20,000 fine
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 13:43:06 PM by Mark »

Link to CatChat