Author Topic: Advice on getting free-spitited cat into carrier  (Read 1801 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Advice on getting free-spitited cat into carrier
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 20:56:13 PM »
They have told me they are blind  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline HaneyHarperIndyMum (Val)

• Senior Cat
  • Harper Boy
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 19:28:12 PM »
That's great that you managed to get them to their new room without to much drama.

Gill,  Maybe you should show your 4 cats Haney's picture and then they will get the idea? lol :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 18:44:36 PM »
So pleased that they are settled in their room  ;D

Oh Val, I love that picture and wish anyone of my four would do that  ;D

All 4 skidaddle and the grapevine works from upstairs to downstairs with 3 hiding and one rushing out the cat flap  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline AnnaR

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 08:16:11 AM »
Thank you all so so much for your replies.  :thanks:

In the end my friendly boy got straight into the carrier but we had to give the other half a little yellow tablet from the vets to sedate him slightly.  It worked a treat and the move was completely stress-free for both the boys and me!

They're now getting used to their new room and had fun climbing and chasing each other over everything (including me and my husband) all night long  :Crazy:

Thanks again all!

Anna

• Senior Cat
  • Harper Boy
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 02:00:09 AM »
Oh Gill, excuse me for laughing but it sounds like you have to go to battle to round up your cat! :rofl:  I can picture in my mind of you making all the prep work in advance too! :rofl:

I hate to tell you this but my one cat Haney who is the meanie boy will just walk right inside the carrier and go to sleep.  I just have to leave it open and show it to him and soon he goes right in all by himself! lol :rofl:  Yeah, I'm bragging but it's true. :rofl:

See....Haney fast asleep! :rofl:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 00:21:55 AM »
I have a semi feral who I cant get near and the only way of getting her in a carrier is to trap her in a corner and it takes me forever.

I shut all doors up stairs and all the doors downstairs except between the roonm she is in and the hall. I try usally unsuccessfully at the first attempt to block up the stairs!

As she will run if I get close she will usually run into the hall where I use the cage with door open covered by a towel to corner her............also need a piece of hardboard to block up other side cos she panics and cries terribly.

She will ytry to jump over in her panic but once she knows she cant get out she freezes and lets me stroke her and I try to manoevre her into the cage...........I cant pick her up cos she is heavy and very strong and can escape to easily. My vet who is very good with cats said never to scruff scared cats cos it makes them worse.

I always feel so bad doing this cos I know she is very scared and I get very stressed cos never know whether I will succeed or not. She used to hate me for weeks after but this year she got over it in a day or two.

The only advice I can give is if you decide to trap, make sure you have every detail planned in advance cos  if they find a small place to back into that makes it very hard .

Another way if your cat is not as big and heavy as mine is that if you can get them sorter in the lying down crouch pose then quickly wrap a towel round them , making sure their legs are safely tucked in , and then lift quickly and put in the carrier.....that would be the recommended way of doing it , cept I cant get closer than 3 ft to Sasa.

Good luck  :shify:

• Senior Cat
  • Harper Boy
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 23:41:44 PM »
Out of my three cats, I have one that is very difficult to get into a carrier.  The trick to do it is to stand the carrier up on it's end and then lower your cat backwards down into it and close the door.  The cat cannot see what is coming and will be inside the carrier before he knows it. :rofl:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 20:20:09 PM »
Nice little yellow pills from the vet moved out then 37 cats 2 years ago - we have a high number of ferals and drugging them was advised as at the time 3 were totally unhandlable and 2 still are now but the pills laced in tuna in brine made them drowsy and we moved them all 150 miles in one day

Also Zylkene tablets from the vet are good they help the more nervous cats - We adopted 3 ferals aged 14 and 2 at 8 who were on this for 2 weeks whilst in pens and they are all now fine and adapting to life on the inside - they love the radiator beds!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 15:10:50 PM »
How long have you got before you move? If you've still got some time, I'd sit the carrier in a room with a bit of fleece or blanket or whatever in it, spray a bit of feliway into it, leave the door open (presuming its a front loader - for top loader just leave lid open) and just allow him to become accustomed to seeing the carrier all the time, rather than just bringing it out when you've got to take him anywhere. Put a few food treats just outside on the floor, and some inside for a bit more encouragement and so he associates it with something nice.

Offline AnnaR

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 15:05:33 PM »
Thanks for that - will try the backwards push! 
He was just so vicious with me last night I have to admit to being very nervous in trying again! 

A

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 15:02:09 PM »
my vet recommends picking them up and putting them in backwards so they can't see what is coming, I think a degree of firmness is probably needed!

Offline AnnaR

• Kitten
Advice on getting free-spitited cat into carrier
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 14:54:53 PM »
Hi all
I have two Siamese boys who are a year old. 
One is loving and cuddly but the other is a free spirit unless he decides he wants some attention:)  He hates to be held and is quick to use his claws to show me when I've tried in the past!
We have the builders coming to our house and so we have arranged for us to all stay together in a rented house just next door. 

The problem I have is getting my boy into a carry cage to move him.  I tried last night and he now wont come near me at all, not even for a treat.

Does anyone have any top tips for getting him into the cage with minimal stress?
I'm sitting at work worrying myself silly.  I dont want to stress him or upset him in case he absolutely never forgives me and all the work I've put in to gaining his trust will be lost. 

Here's hoping.

Many thanks
Anna

Link to CatChat