Author Topic: What's the best food available for struvite crystals?  (Read 3821 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: What's the best food available for struvite crystals?
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 08:15:26 AM »
It is a convalescing food that very few cats can refuse, but it can't be fed for too long, with underweight cats my vets recommendation is one tin a week. The other thing that very few cats here can resist is HiLife Tuna and Salmon (their complimentary one) but fish needs to be avoided with cystitis.
Please spay your cat

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 17:28:18 PM »
I do the heating up thing as it makes it nice and smelly but haven't tried A/D. What's that for? Thanks :)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 08:21:37 AM »
Have you tried Hills A/D? Also, have you tried heating any of them up? HiLife has always gone down really well here, and helped convert dry food only cats.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 14:04:56 PM »
It's a very long list, so I've probably for gotten loads:
*Tesco finest
*Tesco Natures diet( new one not 100%sure of what the name was)
*HiLife
*Felix- all different varieties
*Whiskers- all different varieties
*Bozita
*Lots of own brand ones (Although not great quality, my thinking was if I could get her on one type of wet it would be easier to move her onto a better quality one from there)
*RC- several different ones
*RC- one for sensitive stomach from vets
*Science plan
*C/ D prescription wet food
*natures menu
*sheba
*applaws (plus the one in sainsburys 'encore' which I think is the same!)
*Almo nature
*Cosmo
*Gourmet gold and Gourmet pearl
*PAH own brand- normal and premium
There are lots more I've tried- basically everything on the shelf of PAH at one time or another and then I've also had a lot of the brands from ZooPlus as the boys have always had a variety even when they were on a mix of wet and dry (they are now wet only). I've also tried all different textures- pate, chunks, gravy, jelly etc
I know some of these wouldn't be suitable long term but I think if I got her to eat at least one type of wet food it would then be easier to transition her to a more suitable one.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 13:51:33 PM »
What wet foods have you tried? i have had cats that have come in eating only dry food and been able to transition them, but the main food they preferred wouldnt be suitable for cats with urinary issues (HiLife Tuna).
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 13:46:34 PM »
Totally agree and I have been doing everything I can for the last year and a half to get her onto wet food but she is literally terrified of it! I think me keep trying to wean her off dry to wet is one of the things that is making her so stressed to be completely honest. I was given a really good website by suzanne (Urbantigers) which is really informative and I have tried all the suggestions and none have worked.
http://www.catinfo.org/#Transitioning_Dry_Food_Addicts_to_Canned_Food_
I've even spoken to a behaviourist (luckily I have a cp contact who helps me out!) and have also had consultations at vets about this and he has even given me food to try- all with no results :( She literally would rather starve!
I am more than open to some more suggestions though as I REALLY want her on a wet diet. I have eased up on trying to change things at the mo for a couple of weeks because of all the problems (see threads: http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,18417.0.html and http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,18318.0.html) as I need to ensure she's feeling happy and not stressed at the mo but I want to start the process up again very soon.
She started life on Iams and Go Cat before we had her which I personally think has led to the problems. There are a variety of high quality wet foods available every dinner time but I haven't found anything that she will take to. I have also tried all different kinds of fresh meats and still no go!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 13:49:03 PM by Debsymiller »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 11:40:27 AM »
Nice to see you again Andrew, you are right, Natures Menu is a complete food. I agree completely, I woudnt feed prescription food for urinary issues, and in fact, my vet doesn't prescribe it, her approach is wet food only, extra water and no stress, plus Cystaid. Worked well on my foster cat.
Please spay your cat

Offline Andrew

• Adult Cat
  • Ginger
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 22:28:26 PM »
Well as amany of you know my kittie Layla suffers from FLUTD, specifically struvite crystals. Half her problems is that she won't touch anything wet- I am in the process of sorting this out (see my other thread) BUT until/if I get to theat stage, what do you guys recognise as the best dry food to maintain a cat with struvite crystals. She currently has Hills C/D which she loves but I want to ensure that she has the best food nutritionally that will help the condition.

Thanks

I'd get rid of Hill's CD (or any prescription food) all together.

For struvite crystals, hydration and aicidifying the urine are the most important.

High protein content food acidify the urine -- grains or craps of prescription food and other common food make the urine alkaline.

I'd feed high meat content wet food (Natures menu is complete?) and possibly add cranberry extract in it.

But you need to find a holistic vet to work on this.

I checked the ingredients of Hill's products and then asked myself if I wouold survive on a diets like that..

A

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 09:57:04 AM »
Jess doesn't have crystals, but is on a Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Urinary S/O wet with a small amount of Felix. He also gets a sprinkle of Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Urinary S/O dry as he really misses his biscuits.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 23:04:23 PM »
I had Smartie on Hilld s/d for ages and it really kept him free from cystitis - he is now on Hills c/d - he has been fine for a few years now -touch wood ;)

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 22:20:58 PM »
Not sure if it is a long term solution but Bubbles has been having Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Urinary S/O (dry) now for 2 months to treat struvite crystals and is like a different cat - we have to have another urine test in a month so perhaps it is only a short term food.    Like Layla, Bubbles does not like wet food at all, which of course doesn't help matters but she has always drunk a lot which is good.    She is now so much more lively, playful, affectionate and kittenish (aged around 6) and her eyes are shining again.  I feel really bad that perhaps she had been feeling unwell before without me realising it.    She was diagnosed with crystals after two bouts of cystitus within three months and although she seemed fine in herself I only now realise that she probably wasn't and the difference is amazing.
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 16:18:59 PM »
has anyone tried Arden Grange Cat food? I have been reading some good reviews.

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 15:59:06 PM »
I did think about trying orijen for the reasons you mentioned. I am also going to get her a water fountain when I'm a bit more flush as that will hopefully encourage her to drink more.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 15:55:29 PM »
Water intake is one of the most important things - from wet food, which of course she won't eat LOL! But anyway, not specifically to treat struvite - but a high meat content, no grain, cereal or veg diet is helpful as it will keep the urine naturally acid. If the urine is too alkaline, struvite will form - cereals, grains and (some) veggies are alkalising.  Raw diet is good, its what sorted my Ben out when he suffered cystitis and subsequently a life threatening blockage.  ;D

Don't know if Orjen dry food would be one to try though, it is grain/cereal free.

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 15:25:10 PM »
Forgot to say... I am happy to try a food that's low magnesium/ low phospherous that will work but is not specifically designed for the crystals if there's one that anyone's had sucess with.

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
What's the best food available for struvite crystals?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 15:23:38 PM »
Well as amany of you know my kittie Layla suffers from FLUTD, specifically struvite crystals. Half her problems is that she won't touch anything wet- I am in the process of sorting this out (see my other thread) BUT until/if I get to theat stage, what do you guys recognise as the best dry food to maintain a cat with struvite crystals. She currently has Hills C/D which she loves but I want to ensure that she has the best food nutritionally that will help the condition.

Thanks

Link to CatChat